1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why better from the 20 than the 16??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by starship, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

24-24-25-23 from the 20yd. Best score from any yardage (for me).

Was just practicing and had squad mates for the first three rounds and shot by myself the last one. I know I shoot better when other shooters are involved as it tends to slow me down. Not just pull shoot pull shoot.

I just recently started shooting from the 20yd line (practicing for a turkey shoot). I seem to actually have better scores from the 20 than the 16. So what's up with that??

My misses seem to be rather consistent as a slight left from station one and slight right from five. I get on the hard angles but seem to lose the slight ones. I think, due to the angle, that I'm staying in front of the clay but just not getting up on it like I should. Practice practice practice.....

Chuck

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Four more yards of pattern expansion.

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

There could be several reasons for the results you are seeing. One is you have just started shooting Caps and are a little more cautious and you are concentrating a little more on the target before you make your move.

I shoot with two eyes so I hold a gun that is leveled above the house. I wait the target out until the target goes by the end of my gun then make my move. The gun is now catching the target from the rear not leading the target out of the house. A habit that more times than not causes the first move to be the wrong one.

Bob Lawless

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

What Bob K said. Plus you can see the targets better from 20, or 23 for that matter. I miss the same kind of targets you do. Hold a little further inside each corner and don't jump on the target. You are probably shooting over them because you were surprised. You were expecting a hard left or right and got almost a straight away. If you hold on the corner of the house, or outside it, you will be surprised by straight aways because they are not in your soft focus. Move inside the house and move you soft focus closer to the house. Then you will instantly pick up the straights, and only take a split second longer to catch up to the hard angles.

If you have choke tubes, thy the next most open restriction for singles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.