1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Beretta over Remington 1100?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CNR, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CNR

CNR TS Member

1100 requires much more cleaning

2. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

"Why Beretta over Remington 1100?"

Don't know.

I have been shooting trap since 1970 and an very aware of what's out there in the way of guns.

In 2005 I decided to try an autoloader and bought an 1100 Classic Trap, which I am very pleased with.

Have had the opportunity to shoot some Beretta's over the years, I recently took a good look at new Beretta target autoloader with the Extra Grain feature. Enjoy your Beretta's if you like them, I will stick with the 1100, I made the right choice, for me, in 2005.

3. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

1100's might require cleaning more often but you can clean an 1100 3 times while you are properly cleaning a 391 one time and I think the 1100 shoots softer and usually has a better barrel. JMHO.

4. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

The best things in life sometimes requires more work but worth it. 1100 870 hear.
    Railroad

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

2barrelpa, why do you think a Urika is a better deal than an 1100? Maybe I should ask, who told you this?

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

"Better" is subjective. I have an 1100, and it balances and swings better than the Berettas. (for me).

I find the Berettas to be light in front by comparison, and in need of mag cap or barrel weights to feel "right".

YMMV

HM

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Being an owner of both. I'll give it to you guys on the "older target" 1100's. Great guns. A real classic. As far as 90's to Present built 1100's, they couldn't hold a candle to the Beretta Urika/Urika 2's. There is not an 1100 out there that's a softer shooter than a 391. If you don't own both, you don't know.

Being a Remington fan and the die-hard that I am, I won't hunt with anything but 1100's, 11-87's or 870's. For the most part that's all I've really hunted with. I think they put out a decent product for that application. For the $$$$$.

I really don't care what anyone shoots it's basicall all the same wheather it's Remmy, Browning, Benny or Beretta. But, I think the best leading indicator as to how good a target auto is, would be is to gauge what and how in the Sporting Clays arena what is being used. I think the line is longer with Beretta users.

8. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have owned both. I shoot 4-5 k doubles a year. I went to a Beretta 12 years ago due to my 1100 s malfunctioning. I have had trouble with Beretta's not loading the 2nd shot only with poor papers. I give my gun to the Beretta gunsmiths @ The Grand annually for <$40. it is good for another year. I will clean the carbon from the piston and mag tube extension every 500 or so.

I could not get 100 pair of doubles shot even with new shells reliably out of my 5 1100s I owned.

I did put a weight on the forearm cap due to the light weight of the Berettas to help me not stop my swing.

9. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

As someone else mentioned, it's a matter of personal preference as to which is "better." For me, I prefer a Remington 1100.

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I own both, and shoot both alot. The Remington is not as reliable after 80 rounds or so(some but not all). The Urika will keep running. 2 weeks ago, I shot 100 sporting and 3 boxes of heavy pheasant loads in a tower shoot. No jams or misfires. The Remington would not do that.

The Rem 1100 is easier to clean and reassemble.

Recoil...Same, Barrel quality...Beretta, except for older 1100's, Balance...Beretta w/30" barrels. Cost...Remington.

It's a toss up, but I pick the Beretta.

11. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

What has turned me off from the Remingtons target guns in more recent years is their Sporting 12, 20, 28, 410 line of guns. I have a 12 where the barrel doesn't want to stay tight. I shoot with guys that their 20's and 410's do the same thing. That's BS to have to keep feeling for and tightening that forend nut between stations. It doesn't back off all the way but enough that it ain't right or suppose to do it at all. It's a major distraction. I've experimented with an add on o-ring to eliminate it to some degree but that's BS. My field 1100's and 11-87's are better constructed and take a better pounding than this POS. The nut on them don't back off. I bought a Beretta Urika 2 Sporting Optima, my scores went up, better piece of mind of what I'm shooting and I'm not looking back. That 1100 Sporting 12 POS is loaner guns for friends and family.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    John Thompson, quote: <i>"....I could not get 100 pair of doubles shot even with new shells reliably out of my 5 1100s I owned."</i>

Setterman, quote: <i>"I own both, and shoot both alot. The Remington is not as reliable after 80 rounds or so(some but not all). The Urika will keep running. 2 weeks ago, I shot 100 sporting and 3 boxes of heavy pheasant loads in a tower shoot. No jams or misfires. The Remington would not do that."</i>

And yet, many of us are easily getting 400 to 600 shells through an 1100 or 1187.
    Cripe, the local OHA chapter is going well over 600 shells through a bunch of 1100 LT-20 youth guns they bought for youth training.

I think owner cleaning and lubrication procedures need to be questioned.

13. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I have both and the fact that a used 1100 trap gun can be purchased at anywhere between 500 to 600, would swing my vote to the 1100. jm

14. Setterman

Brian, Don't accuse me of being a gun slob. I'm pretty picky about cleaning my guns. Part of the problem is the crappy powder used in today's economy loads. (Winchester Super Targets, Federal Top Guns, etc.) That stuff is nasty in autos, but that's what we use so we don't have to chase hulls.

15. biggreen

biggreen TS Member

I have both.

The Beretta can go for a long time without cleaning. It's a mechanically noisy gun. Stock shims are a plus. More of a pain to clean.

The Remingtons work best with brakefree CLP on the mage tube. I have gone over 1000 rounds without cleaning then wiped of the mag tube, put on more CLP and kept going. Natural pointer. Cheaper parts. Easy to clean. Easy to take apart and work on.

Someone mentioned up the thread about paying attention to sporting shooters and what they used. Sporting is the most fad oriented game there is. You have to have the correct glasses, gun, shells to be able to play. Beretta sinks a lot of ad dollars in sporting and sponsors shooters.

I like both guns!

16. Brian in Oregon

Poor powder ain't the problem. What do you think I'm using and what do you think the youth shooters are using? Yeah, cheap promo loads.

A good way to fail with cleaning and lubricating is to shoot the gas system dry. Shoot it wet and it will go many more rounds. In my experience well over double. It keeps the fouling soft and makes cleanup easier. It's the hard, crusty crap that causes problems.

17. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

"I think owner cleaning and lubrication procedures need to be questioned."

This is a true statement in many cases. My own experience has been that following the owner's manual is a good idea and that is why I shoot my 1100 dry. I normally clean after a day's shooting but it has gone longer with no problems.

18. Setterman

Temperature makes a difference too. Not suggested to run a gun "wet" when it's 20 degrees or less. Of the seven or so 1100's or 1187's I've had, 2 were very reliable. Why some are and others aren't? Don't know. Quality control? Even Benelli had issues in the mid 90's.

19. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The Remington has a steel receiver. The Beretta is aluminum. Over the
    long haul, I'll go with steel.. Easy to find parts for the Remington,
    if needed. Not so for the Beretta. Remington parts cost less than Beretta.
    In my experience, service from Beretta stinks!

20. Brian in Oregon

John Thompson, quote: <i>"....I could not get 100 pair of doubles shot even with new shells reliably out of my 5 1100s I owned."</i>

Setterman, quote: <i>"I own both, and shoot both alot. The Remington is not as reliable after 80 rounds or so(some but not all). The Urika will keep running. 2 weeks ago, I shot 100 sporting and 3 boxes of heavy pheasant loads in a tower shoot. No jams or misfires. The Remington would not do that."</i>

And yet, many of us are easily getting 400 to 600 shells through an 1100 or 1187.
    Cripe, the local OHA chapter is going well over 600 shells through a bunch of 1100 LT-20 youth guns they bought for youth training.

I think owner cleaning and lubrication procedures need to be questioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.