1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why aren't there more SS trap guns?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jhoward, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoward

jhoward Member

Why aren

With the trend towards stainless in other areas, like rifles and handguns, why aren't there more trap guns made in stainless steel?

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Too bright and shiny.

Easystreet

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Had a Stainless LJutic--Browning--Silver Seitz (Reciever only) ??

4. jhoward

jhoward Member

Yeah, there are a few stainless BT's around and I know Ljutic made some, but overall there are very few stainless guns.

I don't buy the bright and shiny finish, none of the hunting rifles out there have a shiny finish, bead blasted stainless isn't shiny at all.

The cost of a stainless steel rifle is only $100 or so more than a blued rifle, I can't imagine that a stainless shotgun would be any different. And when you're talking about the kind of money we pay for our guns already $100 isn't much of a premium for the weather resistance of stainless.

5. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

When us old timers who like pretty wood and blued steel move to the 29 yard line.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I too wish they would make more stainless and I am an old tmer

7. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Personally, I think it is over rated. I had a SS BT 100 and within a couple of years it started to pit. I tried to stay ahead of it, but it was more work than my blue guns to keep looking good and keep the pits down.

JON

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I do know of a Ljutic that had a SS receiver and a polished metal barrel. It was supposed to be SS thoughout. Ljutic sent it this way and the new owner didn't realize it until the barrel started to rust.

This isn't a work of fiction, it really happened.

ec90t

9. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

They mad a bunch of stailess receivers and blued steel barrels. I had one. I forgot what they called them but somethiing like black diamond or ??? There are a bunch of them around and they work great. motordoc

10. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Because they`re ugly. JMO

Tom R.

11. ec90t

ec90t Guest

motordoc,

The barrel wasn't blued. It was polished to make it look like stainless, but it was just carbon steel. It fooled quite a few people until it started to rust!

ec90t

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Stainless galls easily.. especially stainless on stainless.. It is more difficult to machine. Certain grades of stainless don't gall as much.. but are more expensive. Most areas in concern could be made changable and as wear sets in.. R&R.. barrel pivots etc.. but for every added part comes an added cost..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.