1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

why aren't safes made of bullet proof glass?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by quartering, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quartering

quartering Active Member

why aren

i like the way the lights illuminate the interior of my safes and i know that ge has invented glass so tough that they don't know what to do with it. why not a glass safe which would also showcase the gun collection?

2. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

Sometimes it doesn't pay to advertise. You might be looking for trouble.

3. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

Sometimes it doesn't pay to advertise. You might be looking for trouble.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

How about fire protection? Would that glass withstand heat like steel? Just a thought...

I do agree with lighting in a safe. I have two 12" Browning flourescent lamps and two motion-activated Liberty LED lights inside mine plus a strip of "rope" lighting around the inside of the door opening.

Ed

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as a completely secure safe. Its not a matter of IF someone can get it, its a matter of how long it will take them. They might be less willing to spend the time breaking into the safe if they think it has marlin 60s and remington 870s then if they can see that it has fabbris and famars...

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Bullet proof glass is way different than shatter-proof glass. One square foot of 15/16" thick glass weights 15 lbs. OMG thats heavy.

Wayne

7. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

If bullet proof glass is hit in the same place a couple of times the bullet will get through.

8. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Wayneo,

I thought you might like to know this information, just for kicks.

1sq ft of glass 15/16 thick equals 134.928 cubic inches. If it weighs 15 pounds then 15/134.928= .111 pounds per cubic inch.

On the other hand the standard for steel weight is .232 pounds per cubic inch.

That leads to the following conclusion. .232 #/ci times 134.938 ci = 31.30 pounds for the same size piece of steel.

Now that's heavy!!!

Chuck

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Chuck you are right. I worked in a steel mill for years. Most good steel safes are 3/16 to 1/4" plate. A Browning is 8 gauge. None that I know of are 15/16" plate. A 5 gallon bucket of stainless steel would weigh 550 lbs!

Wayne

10. quartering

quartering Active Member

"a glass stronger than steel" according to the u.s. department of energy

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I saw an ad about a decade ago for a 30 gun safe made from bulletproof glass. The price was in the $15,000 range and it weighed more than a steel safe.

12. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

13. JohnBT

JohnBT TS Member

"Have you seen the Presidential Limo? Those windows are not tinted"

I never knew, thanks. John

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Bullet proof glass is extremely expensive and difficult to work. If this is really what you wanted then perhaps a walk in vault or secure room would be something to consider - now were really talking big bucks.

At one mine I worked at, the security locks on the gold refinery room failed locked via a compromised computer link and we tried to gain access by breaking out one of the 2" thick bullet proof windows. Most everything was tried including a rock breaker on an excavator - messed up the window pretty bad but it did not break out. The solution to the lock out was actually very simple - kill all the power to the gold room including the emergency backup then reboot the computer.

15. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

If fire resistance is not a concern, it would be easy to make a very secure cabinet where you could see the firearms.

16. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

All it takes is money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.