1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are there so many differant wads?which is best

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodyshopdave, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodyshopdave

bodyshopdave TS Member

I am new to reloading.When I go to buy wads its like buying potato chips at wallmart.Way to many to choose from.I have some federal cases and some AA cases.Is there one that will do both?Some have 4 slices some have 8 what are the differance?I would truly like to get better at this so which one?I shoot 1 1/8 shot.Thank you. Dave

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

As far as the wads with 4 petals vs. the wads with 8 petals... they're like fishing lures: designed to catch fisherman because the fish don't care. There is no significant difference in performance between the two unless you THINK there is.

The Federal hulls are straight tubes inside and out. The AA hulls (and Remington hulls) are tapered on the inside... narrower at the bottom than at the top. You will want to use wads designed for straight walled hulls in the Federal hulls and wads for tapered hulls in the AAs to get the best performance out of either.

Visit the wad makers web sites and see what's different between the 2:<ul><LI>mecreloaders.com/ProductLine/wads.asp<LI>claybusterwads.com<LI>downrangemfg.com<LI>dusterwads.com</UL>

You're going to want to follow the data published by the powder companies (Hodgdon and Alliant); don't just buy components and mix and match...you can hurt yourself. You can get the data in booklet form or online at either company's web site. You'll need a scale to weigh powder drops as well. If there is no one else near you who can give you some direction as you get started, either post back here with your questions or call a powder company like Alliant and talk to one of their custserv reps. Let them know you're new to reloading and let them help you get started.

Keller

3. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

Ditto everything Keller said above. I basically use 2 wads (Federal 12S3 or the Claybuster or Downrange clone) in the Federal cases and Winchester or their Claybuster or Downrange clone in Winchester or Remingtion cases.

4. schwabby

schwabby Member

ditto what frosty said

5. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

You're not going to find any major differences in wads. As the previous posters stated, make sure you select one designed for tapered hulls when loading winchesters and rems and a design for straight walls for feds and imports. I would pick one that's economical and readily available in your area. Some people swear by different brands but I can't find any noticible difference in them. Make sure to use the correct wad for the charge so you have a good crimp as that does play a part in the combustion of the powder.

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Wad performance will differ in the interior content. 1 oz. wad vs. a 1 1/8 oz capacity. This will affect density of pattern, velocity of shot, felt recoil, and expense of load. Further wad material will affect overall weight of the ejecta, e.g. Spolar Wads are smoother, load easier and weigh less-- thus affecting their performance. Along with the powder [amount and burn rate], the wad probably affects the shell performance more than anything so select carefully. Fred

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Choose the wad that goes through your reloading machine smoothly. HMB

8. schwabby

schwabby Member

I disagree with Fred ; the wad has minimal to no effect on pattern. It makes a gas seal and keeps the shot round coming out of the barrel. If the wads fit correctly they will all pattern pretty much the same. Excluding spreader wads of course.

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

A Windjammer Wad claims to affect PSI = less recoil than other wads and is printed as such in ALL formula books. In some cases 1,000 PSI less than other wads. It also affects wad performance in velocity AND opens the pattern more efficiently. Disagree with me, but check your reloading manuals. Fred

10. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

If you want a somewhat universal wad try the fig, 8 type, for me they do a good job in STS's and Fed.s with Fed.s requiring a tad more powder as per the loading manual(s) data. I have measured the over powder cup on fig. 8s and Fed.s with calipers and they are quite close. I don't load the new style AAs or Fed. smoothies. Ross Puls

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

After you have been loading for a while ... you will discover that the best wads are those that are on sale!

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Fred, I have used a lot of Windjammer 2 wads. I think the "less recoil" comes from being lighter than other wads.

Like Ahab says, price makes a difference to me also.

13. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

As you said you are new to reloading, I will make the assumption that you have not spent a lot of time to study loading manuals. When you have compared the data about the wad products you will see that EACH change affects the pressure and that is a safety issue that you must not ignore. "On sale" and "patterns best" is a secondary issue until you have settled on the hull and wad combination you choose to use. There might not be a supplier around you that carries all products so select one you can find that is a SAFE load according to the manuals. It was mentioned that 1 or 1-1/8th cup capacity is also a factor and I will add that among the different designs there are small differences in length that affect overall column length. That being 'under the cup' and over the cup. This MIGHT affect the way the shell goes together with the amount of powder (density) and shot drop volume.

There are many choices to serve the reloader with options make his load 'the best'. TM

14. maka

maka Member

To keep it simple decide on one hull type, ie.. Rems, Fed's or Win's. Purchase wads from local supplier if possible. Buy wads for the type of hull you decide on. Get a scale to check powder drops. Scales from Cabbela's, Gamiel shooting, or Brownell's. Also stick with one brand of primers and powder if you can afford them. Some wads like claybuster leave a little plastic residue in your barrel. Not hard to remove with good solvent ie.. Gun Scrub., Break free, etc. Good Luck and enjoy. Note: An old piece of carpet under reloading are help limit mess if you possible err.

15. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Unknown 1 Gave you perfect advise. Follow It !!!

JMAC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.