1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are some shooters so selfish?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Why is it when one states that he/she doesn't care for ported shotguns they are listed as "grumpy or crotchety"?

Years ago when I started shooting clay targets I shot a factory ported O/U. I soon noticed that people commented on the noise of my gun especially when I used 3 dram or better shells. I didn't realize just how loud it was until I stood by a buddy of mine and let him shoot it.

I couldn't believe the noise and debris that spewed from the porting (the debris is more noticible when using slower burning powders). I shot the gun very well, but decided to trade it off for a similar gun that wasn't ported.

I stood beside the new purchase as another fired it just to make sure it wasn't obnoxious. It was a lot quieter to say the least.

Yet, I'm looked at as "grumpy" because I have the decency not to subject my fellow shooter to the excessive noise. Lord forbid if I refuse to shoot with someone because they have a ported gun. Then I'm a no good SOB and my very exsistance is brought into question.

Shooters shouldn't be so selfish, and consider those around them before they pull the trigger. Just the ramblings of a no good grumpy bastard that is considerate of others before himself.

ss

2. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

S.S. I would not care what you shot standing next to me, I would be happy to squad with you and I would be content knowing that the person firing next to me is a helpful and curteous person willing to take time out of his day to help other people with their many ponderments. Thanks for all your help and I hope some day our paths cross and we can shoot a round together.

J.F.

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I deliberately had my o/u ported and have never had anyone complain or comment about it. In fact I've never heard anyone say anything about shooting next to a ported gun. I wonder if those who complain are wearing ear protection?

Eric

4. jhoward

jhoward Member

For registered shooting I've never noticed a difference.

Now standing next to a 30" ported barrel that happens to have 36gr of bluedot and 1 1/2 of shot coming out of it in an Annie is a completely different matter.

5. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ported barrels....BAH..HUMBUG.

E Yanchok

6. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I use a ported gun because it came that way. I also use 14 grains of AA Light so as not to offend anyone including myself. I like noise less than recoil.

Other people's ported guns do not bother me. People who show up with the game loads in a 26 inch gun about give me a concussion.

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

What I find even more selfish are the self-important wind bags who feel that it's their right and responsibility to complain loudly whenever they encounter behavior that doesn't fit with their standards.

I have no need, reason or obligation to meet anyone else's expectations as long as my own behavior is neither illegal, immoral or unethical. I don't intend to spend my life deferring to others... "Oh yes, sir! After you, sir! Whatever you say, sir." I don't try to make other people miserable but it's not my responsibility to make sure they're happy, either.

If you do not like the sound of my ports you have every right to avoid shooting with me as I will choose to ignore any comments you may make suggesting that I shoot some other type of gun or shoot on another squad. I will not try to interfere while you exercise your right to remain silent.

MK

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Some All Americans shoot ported guns. I don't think no one is going to say anything to them.

I would not do it again because the results are not worth the extra mess.

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Selfishness has nothing to do with it. Loud guns are just another excuse for whiners to whine. Shoot whatever you want and tell the crybabies to go pound salt.

-Gary

10. dhip

dhip Active Member

Being new to the sport,when I got my gun,citori sporting clay edition,I chose it because it fit nice and with an adjustable butt i fugured I could fine tune it a little.28" barrel ported,only comment was from a friend that one night said I had it barking,and asked what load I was shooting,I even asked if he ever had anything hit him ,he said never,just that on hotter loads,person next to a ported barrel hear it,he told me not to worry about it,that's what ear plugs are for,,I thanked him and figured when I reload I'll try to keep it on the light side.Maybe after I hit my first 25 I'll treat myself to a different gun,maybe not ported,but I've never called anyone who comments grumpy or anything derogatory.Eveyone has opinios,we all know that.

Doug H.

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Will JB Weld "fix" porting? I have some barrels that I wish were not ported; came that way when I purchased the gun!

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There are a few questions people ask and they really do not want to know, this is one of them ... You like porting so be it, I don't like it and won't buy a gun that is ported from the factory or not ... Thats my choice and it can be because its my money ... Get used to it, thats the way it is in the real world ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote>"Will JB Weld "fix" porting?"</blockquote>

It might if you can figure out how to keep it out of the bore or how to get it out of the bore once it gets in there. Why not try it and report back!

MK

14. jack1122

jack1122 TS Member

Who cares... Tell them to get over the noise or move to another trap house.

Jack

15. philk

philk Member

Some of you guys really need to just relax.

16. 1903

1903 Member

I mostly shoot with those orange rubber cheapie earplugs, pretty much bottom of the barrel in quality. I've never been bothered by someone shooting a ported shotgun. I'm tryin to figure out what kind of ear protection the people who complain about it use. And no, I'm not deaf.

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Yes, put in the JB Weld. then satnd next to someone you REALLY don't like.

And have a first aid kit handy.

HM

18. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

I like my ported guns.

[​IMG]

19. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

...and I might just rest my ported gun barrel on my foot too, if it damn well pleases me to do so.

20. JoeBobOutfitters

JoeBobOutfitters TS Member

I shoot a ported 32" XT and haven't noticed any excessive noise from myself or other shooters with similar setups?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.