1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are so many down on Morgans pads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

What is wrong with a Morgan, especially an old Morgan on an old gun?

Seems like almost everyone dislikes the Morgan that came with my 4E Knick. But I believe that once upon a time the Morgan was state of the art.

The URL is to the 1931 Patent on the Morgan.

Here is the Morgan on my 4E:

[​IMG]

2. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Yep...Morgan was the stuff back in the day. It looks it belongs on that Knick.

3. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

The Morgan pad was great back in the day. Now that we all have access to more info and superior technology, we know better. The last thing you want on your shoulder is a curved pad that will not only provide an unnatural fit, but bite you at least 35% of the time. There is a reason modern pads are FLAT!

4. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Because they are UGLY.

5. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Seems to me that a curved pad would distribute recoil over a larger area of the shoulder. Ive fired a few guns with Graco and other types of pads and I can honestly say that I can't tell the difference in recoil between them and a Morgan. JMHO.

I prefer a curved pad (Morgan, Pachmayer XLT, etc.) because it helps with getting the stock mounted in the same place every time. I need all the help I can get!

Kiv

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Lucky You Kiv-c. Most of us suffer. And, the newer technology allows for toe adjustments not available on the Morgan pad.

7. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I always hoped that someone someday would buy the rights to the Morgan and update it with pitch and cast adjustments. Guess it's not gonna happen, though.

Kiv

8. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

The Morgan pads I've seen don't allow for adjusting cant. The curved pad doesn't work if you're mounting your gun properly in the pocket of your shoulder. The pads I've seen on the Morgan are so concave that you would have to mount the gun so part of the pad went into your armpit. This is too far away from the center of your chest for me.

Personally I have no issue with Morgan or any other adjustable pad. If it helps you shoot better, I say use it. I care not for the looks. It's function that makes my heart skip a beat.

9. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

My inclination is to have a reproduction Hawkins Model 35 pad (the heart shaped cutouts) fitted at the same time I get the internals of my 4E cleaned and lubed. I think it will be the first internal cleaning for the 4E in many years.

10. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

For years I have been grinding the teeth off one side or both sides of the Morgan pads attaching stick on skate board tape and designed a very adjustable pad with toe in or out. I will post a picture tomorrow with toe out it fits my shoulder perfect and helps me place the gun in the same spot every time. Now if I could get velcro for my face and stock so I keep my head down I could be dangerous.
    Buddy

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The Morgan Pad fits very damn few people.

GB DLS

12. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

If the Morgan was easier to fit other recoil pads to it, it while not being as ajustable as some would have a better market appeal.

I have used the Morgan hardware with GOOEY Pads, and made one son of a mule in to a pleasure to shoot, but the fitting was a pain.

I make ajusting hardware from scratch just as easily as fitting another make of pad to the Morgan hardware.

The Morgan's stuff I have used was given to me and as I change away from it, it is given away.

Long live Morgan,

But I will use and advise in the use other products!

Al L

13. Hunter1978

Hunter1978 Member

the curved morgan pad sure feels right to me. I started using them after I seperated my shoulder which has changed the geometry of my shoulder now that the end of my collerbone sticks up and the rest is a little lower. I also feel that the curved pad ensures that you get a consistant mount each time.
    At the end of the day its just a pad and everyone has there preferences.

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've found the shape of pads preferred by shooters is dependent on the gun, stock shape/geometry, and a lot on the shooter's physical shape. I had a KS-5 that came with a concave shaped pad and I went to a convex KickEez before I was completely happy with it. Knowing that I bought another for the M32 K-gun and I hated the convex pad on that gun. I ended up with a flat surface KickEez for that gun. Both guns became best friends for a good number of years. The O/U remains my gun for skeet, 5 stand, sporting, and any other game where two shots are permitted......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

To all you self proclaimed experts they make a non-curved pad if that is your choice.

Don

16. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Big d

That is the other NO sale point.

Yes is is flat,

yet it is a third to half smaller then a pachmeyer fitted to a field gun,

And the adjusting screw in the center is covered by 1/16" 1/8" or 3/16" of the pad, some people say it hurts just to look at!

If they had an adapter that let you put the pad of your choice on thier hardware no fitting cussing quessing, they may again have a product that is not given away quickly!

Al

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

That curved pad don't set well with placing the pad in the shoulder pocket. What it does do is force me to place the pad on my bunched shoulder muscle so the bottom of the toe misses the pocket.

Raising the arm bunches the shoulder muscle which in turn locks the pad/stock in the natural pocket formed. Helps keep the stock aligned to your rear sight, eye. I can't do that with a curved recoil pad and not many others can either without moving it farther out on the arm. Recoil hammering on a tightened muscle makes for a very long day shooting many targets!!! Like Buddy, I modified one the same way and it improved the mechanics and fit, some.

I feel that's one of the main reasons the Morgan adjusters lost favor with target shooters, at least it did with me!

Hap

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There are so many adjusters that can be added to a gun that makes better sense than a Morgan Pad for most people ... The up/down limitations are not adequate with all of the bells and whistles you can get on a gun today ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

If I need a adjustable pad, I just give my gun to Tron and let him work his magic.

No Morgans though.

Jerbear

20. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

My wife and I wouldn't have any other...I just cut the bottom curve off from the pad, and it hangs on our shoulders perfect without the bottom point sticking us..

Personal preference I guess....

Dave in SC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.