1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are sellers afraid to ship to CA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I just recently sold a trap gun to a buyer in CA. I am not an FFL holder. There were no restrictions placed on me that would not apply when shipping to any other State. As a private seller all I had to do was ship to an FFL Dealer in CA, the same as shipping to MI, IL, GA, etc. Why all the fear about shipping to CA?

I do understand that if a Dealer holding an FFL ships to CA there is a step to take before shipping, but as a private party seller I see no downside in selling and shipping to CA.

Marc

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Because they think some fat, ugly women from CA DOJ might bite them. LOL

There're no restrictions for a non-FFL individual to ship directly to a CA FFL. People who don't get their facts straight are not doing good business.

An out of state FFL needs a CA DOJ register # to ship to CA FFL, this # is available on CA DOJ website, it takes 5 minutes to obtain said # on line. No phone calls, No mails.

As for the firearms itself, there're certain "CA restricted assault weapons" (Mostly AK, & AR type), that can't not legally ship to CA no matter by who.

3. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

No TV coverage for such an historic event or just that my cable company didn't carry it? I too would like more details on the other shooters. Like what station they missed on etc. My friend made it out from CT, better luck next year!
    I told him that he didn't need fancy handicap loads to break them. Today Devon proved me right. Thank you to the Martin's for their great generosity! Hope I make it next year. The lady's shot great too!

Harry Lyga

4. Steve W

Rick, that tool only apply to previously banned "assault weapon". The tool is a way to get around that stupid ban. So there're CA legal AR with a different magazine release.

The original topic is about sending firearms to CA FFL, anyone can. If you send a non-CA approved assault weapon to CA, that FFL will not be able to release it to the buyer.

For trap guns, I don't remember seeing any that's on the assault weapon list. Yet. LOL

5. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Better safe than sorry. Cali has so many laws against guns that nobody knows what's illegal.

Just best to avoid the place and limit your liability.

6. primed

primed Well-Known Member

It has nothing to do with being "afraid". It really has more to do with being a pain in the ass. I've sold one gun to a California resident. It went like this. Advised the buyer that I would need a copy of FFL to send it to and that I would ship it directly to the FFL. FFL stated that "CA law" says that it had to be shipped from an FFL to the FFL. I very much prefer to ship myself so that I can control packaging etc to prevent damage in transit. If I ship through an FFL on my end, I lose that control but am still responsible for any damage. So I emailed CA DOJ and they tell me that is "not the law but that the FFL can make any rules for his businesss that he chooses". This response takes four days by email. So this FFL is imposing his own rules on me that are more restrictive than even CA state law and falsely claiming this is the law. Ask the buyer to find a different FFL and he does and this guy tells us the same thing as the first. I look around for a few days and find an FFL that will let me package the gun. I ship it and give the buyer a three day inspection. As always, I hold the buyers check until the three day inspection is over and he accepts the deal. Great. Takes three additional days for the gun to get to his FFL. He goes in to sign the paperwork. Now begins a ten day waiting period for him to take possesion. Don't know if this is state law or dealer's rule. Then comes the three day inspection during which he is free to shooot the gun and accept or reject the deal. By the time he accepts, it has been almost a month long process before I cash the check. Repeat, it has nothing to do with being "afraid", it is simply too much process for what should be a simple process like it is shipping elsewhere. Not worth the aggravation to me. Your experience may be different but for me, I've become one of the "anywhere but California" crowd.

Bob

7. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I tried to give a shotgun to a family member in the San Diego area. Contacted 5 (yes 5) ffl's. The first 3 would not handle the transfer at all. The other 2 wanted $200 for the transfer("because of the extra paper work in Calif.").

I did find a person to do it a reasonable price. It took over a month to get all this done.

If the family member wants another, I'll drive down and just hand him the SOB!

Ajax

8. Steve W

I understand everyone might experienced differently, but I bought many firearms from out of state or out of country, I have never had any problems with shipping to the three FFLs I use in Los Angeles.

Recently I had a shotgun shipped from PA to one of the FFLs 10 minutes away from me, I emailed him the copy of The FFL (not fax), I saw the gun at my FFL 4 days later, checked it inside out, sign the paper and wait 10 days to pick it up, no problem. If I can't hit anything with the gun, that's not the gun's fault. Like you buying a new gun from a dealer, do you test fire it before you pay?

We don't reject a gun because we miss targets, we reject it because it's not as described. 10 day waiting period is not seller's problem, upon opening the package, buyer has to decide if he wants it or not, not after he missed a few birds.

Samething if I'm selling, I don't let the buyer take my gun to the range and who knows how many shooting buddies and field experts shot it before my buyer tells me he can't hit targets. Who is going to be responsible for those sweaty hands and even scratches?

9. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

QUOTE:
    Email:
    Date: Sun, Aug 15, 2010 - 12:45 AM ET
    Website Address:
    Better safe than sorry. Cali has so many laws against guns that nobody knows what's illegal.

Just best to avoid the place and limit your liability.

I'll say it. What a tool. What a moron.

I think what smoking357 wrote is straight from the Brady Campaign's talking points. It is exactly what the California State Legislature wants to happen so that they can, over time, create a gun free state.

There are several big gun dealers that sell to California. Buds & Able. If there is so much liability you would think they would not touch us with a 10 foot pole. Do you know why they do ? Because we spend money just like everyone else and the money we spend is just like the money in the other 49 states.

California's economy is the largest of any state in the US and the 8th largest in the world. Why on earth would you not want to have us as a customer ?

Don't believe the FUD that is spread but those who have not taken the time to red the laws. They really are not that complicated.

10. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I live in Ca. No problems with the 3 dealers I've dealt with. The only thing that changes is the amount I pay for the transfer. 50 bucks to 75 bucks. JKP

11. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

"as calif. goes so goes the country"

most dealers I know don't like Calif. from their political mindset. If the shooting world would unite and "boycott" Calif by not selling them any firearm related item,(including law enforcement)based on their stupid laws, the shooting world would impact their mindset and change would take place.

Calif is the "thorn" in our side when it comes to gun laws and ownership.

12. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Warpspeed:

There must be a lot of morons out there, because there are 2,973 auctions on Gunbroker that contain the phrase "no sales to California."

13. Steve W

There're much more morons than you see on GunBroker.com, they elected that idiot in the White house.

14. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

377 Gunbroker auctions contain the word "Kalifornia."

173 auctions contain the phrase "People's Republic of California."

Everyone in guns knows to avoid California.

15. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

I am a dealer in CA and have been for 26 years. I will not knowingly sell a gun to anyone that will not ship or sell to CA. This includes dealers and individuals. This is my little protest against those who are doing what the lawmakers want. I have found that many dealers and individuals will ship to CA once they have the laws explained to them. CA is the largest gun market in the United States.
    Fred Wiedemann

16. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Since when do governments follow their own laws? Mike Bloomberg went into Georgia and Virginia and got settlements out of innocent gun stores whose guns ended up in New York. If California wants to bankrupt someone with a bogus prosecution or civil suit, they can, and there's nothing you can do about it.

You may win, but you'll be broke, and/or, you may have spent a few nights/weeks/months in jail.

17. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

smoking357 - you could not be more right. There are a lot of morons on Gunbroker. 2,973 apparently by your count.

Timberfaller - A boycott of firearms to California ? That is exactly what they want. They want the citizens to become subjects.

Say what you want, but in 1989, they passed a law that made most assault type rifle illegal in CA. It was based on mfg & model name. Once we figured out a way around that law, in 1999, they passed a new law called SB23. It was designed to make assault weapons illegal by a more generic description. It sort of worked until a couple of smart guys figured out a loop hole and now, in California, we can but AR15 rifles at our local gun stores. There are a few differences but nothing too bad.

So you see, if you want something bad enough, you will figure out a way. And we do.

18. cafowler

cafowler Member

I get tired of the anti-CA by guys back east.

CA has more duck, deer, dove, pheasant hunters than most any other state. I was at USI yesterday about noon, and all +/-80 lanes were packed. DU raises more $ in CA than any other state. Mack's Prairie wings has sales over $1M in CA i've heard. When the paper reported our town might have a serial rapist, all the guns stores in our town and the next closest were sold-out of 44 ammo in 2 days and there was a waiting list. Towns are all 100k+ in population. I can shoot skeet 10 min's from home, elk 30 min's from home, ducks/honker's 20 min's from home, deer/turkey/pheasants/doves just outside city limits.

Most of the bad gun laws referred to are written and passed by southern calif lawmakers who are trying to minimize gang violence in their communities/barios. Most of those communitites resemble mexico more than CA. The only "success" of those gun laws I know of is the clueless crotchety old guys on here/back east refusing to sell guns to anyone in CA. As far as I know most gangs are still very well aremed and have no trouble getting ammo.

Sellers on GunBroker or here can do as they want, but from where I sit, they are the only ones falling into line with what the liberal lawmakers from the barios of East LA want. Just my observation. You guys might as well become Greeny Tree-Huggers and quit living in houses with products. If we are truly free to choose in America, you've all choosen to side with the bad guys. Thanks for helping them out!!

19. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

You guys are going to have microstamping and ID logs for ammo purchases, next year.

We aren't.

It looks like you guys are the ones falling in line with the Bradys. If I want to move there, I have to pay a tax of $25, per gun, just to move my guns to the state.

California is lovely place but for the Californians.

20. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

You're really killing us, napawino! lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.