Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why are primers considered hazmat?

8K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Cy-Kick 
#1 ·
I can understand powder, but dont understand why primers are, also if primers are why are loaded shells not hazmat? thanks!

#4 ·
Powders are actually very safe and NOT explosive.

Primers ARE explosive. They go boom when stuck the right way.

Put it this way. Someone is going to drop either a sleeve of primers, 2 flats of shells, or 4 kegs of smokeless powder from 30 ft and you are to stand five feet from the point of impact. Which one do you choose?

Don Verna

#12 ·
Can you think of a better way for the government to both track where all he components go and how much each person buys and what they buy?

A program that not only pays for itself but also provides an address for somebody that reloads and has lot's "propellents" at their disposal. If all the guns you owned were not registered it would make no difference as you would have no need for primers and powder unless you had the guns that needed them. It's just another tool like a SS# being required to get a hunting license. Just another way to track who has guns. I am not a guy who thinks the black helicopters are after me fellers. This is just common sense. Jeff

#14 ·
Mr. Barker, I regularly haul small arms cartridges from the port of Newark, NJ, East Alton, IL, Oxford, MS, etc. all over the USA, by the truckload, (i.e. 45,000 lbs payload) without HAZMAT placarding. My trucks cross the PA turnpike and have undergone numerous DOT inspections, in a variety of states while loaded, without incident. If you take the time to re-read your DOT HAZMAT classifications you'll discover that I am in fact adhering to the letter of the law.Larry Lockhart

#16 ·
Simple explanation, Primers /powder are used to make a final "Consumer Commodity."

ORM-D material is a limited quantity of a hazardous material that presents a low risk of hazard during transportation due to its form, quantity, and packaging. The proper shipping name for all ORM-D material is "Consumer Commodity." Not every hazardous material permitted to be shipped as a limited quantity can qualify as an ORM-D material. The ORM-D category is recognized for use within the United States only. ORM-D materials cannot be sent in international mail. It is packaged in a form intended or suitable for retail sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.