1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are primers considered hazmat?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I can understand powder, but dont understand why primers are, also if primers are why are loaded shells not hazmat? thanks!

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Rick, I have ordered from midway in the past and they dont charge hazmat on loaded shells..

3. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

to collect more money.

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

Powders are actually very safe and NOT explosive.

Primers ARE explosive. They go boom when stuck the right way.

Put it this way. Someone is going to drop either a sleeve of primers, 2 flats of shells, or 4 kegs of smokeless powder from 30 ft and you are to stand five feet from the point of impact. Which one do you choose?

Don Verna

5. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

I would run like heck anyway.

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Loaded shells are NOT subject to hazmat fees. Powder by itself, and primers by themselves are.

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I don't know why smokeless powder is considered a hazmat, but black powder is a low explosive and lead styphnate (primer compound) is a high explosive that detonates at 5,200 meters per second.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Is the gasoline in my automobile tank a HAZMAT? What about my first wife-- she could explode.

Pat Ireland

9. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

I can't remember where I read my info but, I recall that black powder is an explosive but smokeless powder is a propellant! I guess smokeless will do the same job on you, just not as fast if it goes BOOM! dave

10. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

Small arms cartridges are NOT HAZMAT. You can transport them in any quantity. 24 years of extensive HAZMAT training and classifications. Larry Lockhart

11. warren

warren Member

I agree with Pat Ireland, my first wife is highly volitile and could explode anytime expecially when I'm around and believe me the fees were very high.

warren

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Can you think of a better way for the government to both track where all he components go and how much each person buys and what they buy?

A program that not only pays for itself but also provides an address for somebody that reloads and has lot's "propellents" at their disposal. If all the guns you owned were not registered it would make no difference as you would have no need for primers and powder unless you had the guns that needed them. It's just another tool like a SS# being required to get a hunting license. Just another way to track who has guns. I am not a guy who thinks the black helicopters are after me fellers. This is just common sense. Jeff

13. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Primers are considered hazmat because there is a fair liklihood the way UPS handles packages that if one contains primers they will be detonated.

14. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

Mr. Barker, I regularly haul small arms cartridges from the port of Newark, NJ, East Alton, IL, Oxford, MS, etc. all over the USA, by the truckload, (i.e. 45,000 lbs payload) without HAZMAT placarding. My trucks cross the PA turnpike and have undergone numerous DOT inspections, in a variety of states while loaded, without incident. If you take the time to re-read your DOT HAZMAT classifications you'll discover that I am in fact adhering to the letter of the law.Larry Lockhart

15. 682LINY

682LINY Member

primers are haz mat,,,loaded shells are ORM,,,not haz mat

16. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Simple explanation, Primers /powder are used to make a final "Consumer Commodity."

ORM-D material is a limited quantity of a hazardous material that presents a low risk of hazard during transportation due to its form, quantity, and packaging. The proper shipping name for all ORM-D material is "Consumer Commodity." Not every hazardous material permitted to be shipped as a limited quantity can qualify as an ORM-D material. The ORM-D category is recognized for use within the United States only. ORM-D materials cannot be sent in international mail. It is packaged in a form intended or suitable for retail sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

qare rfile primers considered hazardous material