1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHY ARE MOST SHOOTERS CONSERVATIVE?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Chango2, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Maybe a social scientist out there can answer this: "Why are most shooters conservative in political outlook?" It seems odd to me that most liberals have little interest in firearms and some seem to have what I call, a conditioned hooplaphobia. For example, my late father was very liberal, yet pro-gun, as are some very left-leaning individuals that I have known. Some very liberal people that I have known have told me they are pro gun to prevent criminals and controlling agents in a society (police, armies, government) to be the only agents having firearms. However, it seems that younger liberals find guns either uninteresting and a negative towards society. I find it curious that a sport, for example, that uses a firearm has a majority of conservative support. I always thought a sport is politically neutral in an enlightened and free society. I guess my point is that I think too many issues in our society take on a political life when, in fact, they are minor issues in my view.

Some liberals have told me that firearm sports promote violence, etc. I, for example, have some problems with high school and college football (which are violent and can hurt a youngster) and with throughbred horsracing which tends to breed animals that are fragile, fast, and easily injured. But these are my personal viewpoints, and I certainly would not want to see absurd or more regulation come to those activities. I do hope that, for examples, horse breeders will police their own and that high school and college football continue to make advances in safety and technique. Ultimately, I feel, a free society offers choices, choices and freedoms that must always be handled with responsibility and common sense less we loose them. I like to go to the horsraces, but limit my attendance in fear of seeing the horrific happen to the modern racehorse.

But guns taking on such a huge political "valence" in my lifetime? Hmm, we are so casual regarding the purchase of other machines that can maim or kill, yet I don't hear of liberals complaining about, for example, the untrained driving an automobile. Thanks for possibly indulging me this rant..I have an inquiring mind that likes to know.

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Because it's part of the modern LIBERAL agenda to dis-arm the people and we don't wish to be disarmed.

John C. Saubak

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Because most of our fathers served and were patriots. They passed this on to us to pass on to ours.

We believe in the greatness of America and not Europe.

We want to be able to protect what we have worked for and also the ones we love.

Libs think that nothing will happen if we just "love" everybody. (great thought, but NEVER going to happen)

Many others but mostly it is from a deep desire to do what is RIGHT and not what feels good.

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I won't try to address the political part of the topic but firearms were designed to kill. That they are used for other purposes is irrelevent to those that would try to take them away. A car on the other hand was designed to transport people from point A to point B. That more people are killed in car accidents in a year than killed by firearm accidents is not the point. The intent of the items in question is the point.

Eric

5. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

To the liberal, mind the human mind is pure! it takes a TALISMAN of great power to corrupt it, that makes a firearm, the evil that has to be done away with.

To the consevative, we know that anything CAN BE A TOOL of the evil mind! So lets put the evil mind out of reach of people to hurt and tools to use!

A CAR:

is the most powerful tool Many will use today, and power wise it is the most powerful TOOL many will ever use.

A ROCK:

was probably the first tool ever miss used, put there are no laws about rocks!

There is an anlogy that as it goes:

Conseratives, hunt and gather food, make and use luxeries, and are fun loving when the ability presents itself!

Liberals, conive to take away the just rewads of someone that worked period! or worked harder and was more able to produce for the needs of his family/clam/tribe.

The coming election:

we have a candidate that has had an obvious anti gun stance and record, that wants to redistrubte the wealth!

So we gun owners belabor the fact that he is anti gun! FOR several generations now, THIS IS THE FIRST SIGN OF THE WORST KIND OF politian/usually a liberal!

THE fact that there has been a proposal from the same camp that champions the current far left liberal, TO SIEZE all 401K accounts! SHOULD be scarier then his/and his parties Antigun Record, This touted proposel has bearing because, After all the person that worked extra to save extra, HAS NO RIGHT TO BE BETTER OFF then the masses of people that have lived for today/or as drag on everyone ELSE! """SO WE NEED TO SPREAD THAT WEALTH"""

SO as I and many other people are saying HIS antigun stance is the tip of ICEberg, what he is for and you can see his party machine is for under the surface, should send every and all voters,

Scurrying over to Mccain!

But HIS anti GUN stance is the tip of the ice berg that even the "LOOKOUTS, on the Titanic should have been able to see that NIGHT"

SO we belabor that point!

AL

6. laura!

laura! Member

Pro gun liberals are more common than most folks realize (or are willing to aknowledge), but are still a minority among shooters. It takes a brave liberal to speak up either at the gun range or especially on this forum, where they would instantly be denounced as anti-gun, anti-God and anti-American.

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

It is both cultural and genetic. There are hunters and those who live off the efforts of others. There is also a basic decision making capability lacking in the herd. Hunters are by nature pack animals. Liberals by nature are herd animals. One group is used to acting independently and is somewhat more self sufficent. The other can't fend for them selves and like the comfort of the group. They will drink the kool-aid even when they know it's poison.

I hope this helps.

Joe

8. shadow

shadow Active Member

Maybe we are just smarter by nature.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

My dad was an independent voter way before the term was used as it is today. Voting today is very different than the recent past and one has to choose a candidate a lot more carefully. Some of both parties candidates will say one thing to get elected and once elected to office, do an about face once in Washington! For the most part, Dems have been on a gun control kick or outright ban for several years, not all but enough to make gun owners very skittish of their true intentions. The Republicans have capitalized on that to some degree for more votes. I'm conservative in casting my vote for any professional politician while liberal in wanting what's best for my fellow Americans. Reaping the rewards of your work is the American way, rather than a government hand-out which is high on the Dems side today and looks to be working well for them.Politicians of any flavor wanting to do away with our rights accorded by the constitution should be run out of our capitol as traitors! I believe in loyalty to America first and not some political promise or party. I voted for McCain/Palin in hopes of preserving those rights longer. Hap

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Semi rabid females and girlymen metrosexuals are liberal.

So you ask why I'm conservative? come on.

Might as well ask why I like truthful people over liars.

HM

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

This thread I started made me think: Obama talks about redistribution of wealth. I see neither candidate talking about increasing the accessbility of opportunity. I never forget that I have a comfortable lifestyle, am fortunate, have a beautiful expensive home, luxury autos etc. But...I am hardly "self-made"; for example, I attended the University of California during the days when such attendance was "free" save for the payment of an incidental fee and books. I knew my local realtor and banker, and they helped get me a loan for my first home. Many others have helped me along the way. College professors knew people that helped me get my first good job due to my being in the loop and network.

Today, I think it is not quite so easy unless one already has more funds and help than I had when starting out. I thank the taxpayers of my state and hard working professors that guided me along to have a good life.

Today, I think a young person starting out has to have at his or her disposal far more funds than I had or begin his or her career with huge debt...huge debt and funds that might be better spent buying goods and services.

12. chuckles

chuckles Member

Wine sniffing, cheese tasting, Left leaning, liberal democrats think of themselves as well read intellectuals and will almost always try to think and rationalize their way thru life........while beer drinking, gun shooting, bible reading republican conservatives tend to be reactionary and pragmatic regards life many challenges.....

regards

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

You forgot Subaru, Prius, Volvo-driving, pre-Columbian art collecting!! But I wonder if liberals keep Grandpa's Model 12 as an artifact of their roots?

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Go back to the 50's. The US was quite a bit more rural. More lived on the land, raised livestock, and hunted. Now we have less than 2% rural population. More people are urban/city. Fewer are raised on property that required or even allowed shooting groundhogs, coyotes, or rats. Now, a smaller percentage hunt or have access to hunting ground. Also there is a big difference in theft and violence due to the vast majority of people living in cities and urban areas. The "gun" was blamed instead of the criminals that used them, and thats where it all got started. Then came "Political correctness", "civil unrest", and "movements" as excuses for peoples immoral actions. Morals, honesty, and self responsibility really suffered as we became less rural. Back then, there were "conservative rural democrats".

15. ArmySGM

ArmySGM Member

A simple way of explaining this is to look at WWI and how the French got the name Frogs.

When the shooting started the French would jump into the water filled holes to hide. They were the liberals.

The conservatives would walk across the backs of the liberals to advance to the fight and to win the war.

Liberals = Frogs

Conservatives = Winners

Gary

16. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

From the opening post:

"Why are most shooters conservative in political outlook?"

I didn't read anything in that post that would substantiate that statement or that pointed to the source for the data that backs it up with facts.

Andy Moreland

17. SwannyinMinn.

SwannyinMinn. TS Member

NRA propaganda. And the sheep that follow it.

18. sbhced

sbhced Member

Ditto what Halfmile said.

19. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

And there smater than swanny!

Swanny I'm betting by now your wishing you hadn't brought my wife in to this. By insulting her you have made many enemy's and done nothing for your cause.

I finally figured it out Bill that is your real name. Bill were you sent by your fellow Annenberg board member to terrorize us? Bill the coward Bill the terrorist. You picked the wrong group. We don't easily intimidate. In fact you help to strengthen our resolve and make us come together as a group.

20. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

gun fitter, I know swanny's real name...Richard Cranium.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can a liberal feel comfortable trap shooting

most workplace shooters are conservative

shooters are conservative