1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Are H+R Guns Better Built Then The HIgh $ Guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Auctioneer, Jul 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

We are all hearing about K-Guns, P-Gun's and other high dollar guns blowing up. I have heard about people trying to blow up H+R guns but they couldn't do it. People have also said that they are tough guns. Why are the high dollar guns wo weak?

2. rustygun

rustygun Member

shoot a 100,000 rds thru a HR,then test it.

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

So you want to compare an entry level field gun that might run a hundred rounds through it in a year. vs. a dedicated trap gun that might do 30,000 or more? I don't understand your question "why are the high dollar guns so weak"? I've never in 40 years of trap, skeet, and hunting seen a high dollar gun come apart. I have however seen many cheap and inexpensive shotguns fly apart. JMO

Wayne

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Despite the fact that one of my favorite rifles of all time is a Harrington & Richardson 45/70 Buffalo Classic, look at the amount of lesser quality metal at the breech of one of their shotguns. Then, look at the thickness of metal at the breech of a K or P gun.

The guns with thinner barrels have higher quality, and more expensive steel.

You get what you pay for.

BTW, the rifles, when chambered for high pressure rounds, tend to have the lug and hinge extension loosen from the barrel.

For this reason, I do not load this gun in 45/70 past Trapdoor pressure levels. That, and monumentally increased recoil. LOL

5. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

This is a joke, right??

Now go ahead and compare a "Smart Car" (POS) to a Rolls Royce.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

As I recall didn't the Iowa have a big gun blow up?

7. dalog

dalog Member

Steady. . . Steady . . .

[​IMG]

8. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

BULL MANURE have you got proof of that fishing license?

9. Cray

Cray Member

Consider The Source!!!!!! Cray

10. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

11. Jacob Guthrie

Jacob Guthrie Member

WOW look at the size of that one, and I'll tell you in 30 years how my Kolar combo is holding up. So far in 4 years I can't even tell its been shot 50,000 times.

[​IMG]

12. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

First, I want to make it clear that H&R are not better built, they just more difficult to blow up. These are two different things. Like the difference between a Ferrari and a Ford diesel truck, one is high performance & high maintenance, the other one is slower & hard to wear out.

In fine shotgun making, weight is a major concern. You want the gun to be easy handling while well balanced, the only way to make an O/U or SxS to feel lively in the hands are thinning the barrel walls. That's why using good steel is the best way to accomplish this.

H & R topper is difficult to blow up because they have very thick barrel, while there's no concern on the balance or handling. You can build your O/U with two H&R barrels (if they'll fit your monobloc), see how the gun handles. Then when you do something stupid, the barrel will stay, but your receiver will give because they are weaker than the barrels.

When gunsmith make replacement barrels on factory monoblocs, most likely they'll use barrels from Mossberg not H&R, because they are too thick and heavy.

13. THE REBEL

THE REBEL TS Member

I have been shooting a KS5 for ten years and the only thing done to it was a new fireing pin THE REBEL

14. BROWNST100

BROWNST100 Member

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Steve W, when did Farrari start making a diesel truck????????

16. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

There was an H&R single barrel trapgun at the Eastern Zone shoot. I think they wanted 3 hundred bucks for the gun (maybe it was 385, don't remember for sure). It looked to me that the rib was about 100 shells from separating from the barrel. It did not seem to weigh much, the stock was small, and it was a fixed comb so the recoil might get to you before the rib separated.

Anytime you have a pipe that is open at one end (pressure relief), it will be very difficult to blow it up. After many many overloaded shells, I am certain that metal fatigue will set in and the gun (any gun) will let go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.