1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why am I canting on 'hard' left targets?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BT99Max100, Aug 25, 2013.

1. BT99Max100

BT99Max100 Member

On hard left targets, I'm canting the gun. I have searched the threads, but couldn't find a good answer. I do at times get too 'handzeee' and will block out the target. Maybe I'm starting to cant the gun because of this - I'm not sure. Any ideas? Thanks

John

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have adopted a more upright shooting position, i.e., standing straight up. I try to swing with my waist and avoid leaning right or left. I am shooting better and have confidence that I can hit any target, hard left or right, low or high. I keep my feet relatively close together and make sure that I am solidly in balance before I call for a bird. Works for me.

On hard lefts or rights, or birds that are lifted high quickly by the wind, I had a tendency to "get out of the gun" which means to me to raise my head or pull my cheek away from the stock. I hold the gun firmly to my shoulder and keep my head well into the stock. I don't get a strangle hold on the gun but I hold it firmly especially by the pistol grip. I like to shoot all targets as they rise but sometimes the wind pushes them in all directions. By staying "in the gun" I know that I can hit ant target even at extreme distance.

I shoot a full choke and 1 1/8 oz. of 7 1/2's at 1145 fps. The target won't get away from me. I don't rush my swing and simply move into the bird. Works for me.

Previously, when I missed a target that I felt sure that I should have hit, I found myself leaning too much forward or to one side or the other. Standing straight up and keeping my cheek tight against the stock works.

Ed Ward

3. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

You just might be choking your shotgun like a chicken. OOPS, you might be holding your forearm too tightly and when you swing to the left your shotgun is out of control. If you feel that when the left comes out you lose control then, try the 3 finger grip where you leave your pinky finger loose, support your shotgun with your palm, and only hold on with your thumb and 3 fingers like you were a Brit at High Tea. Relax. You might also be swinging your shotgun with your arms and not your whole body swiveling/roataing about your hips. If you are 'horsing' your shotgun around with just your arms you will have a tendency to cant the top to the left a little. Again, relax.

Don T

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

So you can see the target. HMB

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Stand facing the trap more directly. That way you do not have to swing back behind you so to speak, to get to those hard angles. Rotate at the hips, and no separate movement with the arms. Like a turret. Same thing on the rights, only rotate your feet to angle away from the trap on those. Otherwise you are fighting your natural ease of movement in the spine, and creating pressure to the point of using your arms, and leaning to compensate.

6. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Once you are standing on post 1, close your eyes and shoulder your gun comfortably. Open your eyes and see where the gun is pointing. Then adjust your feet until that natural point of aim is closer to your anticipated "kill zone" on those hard angles. Then crunch yourself back a bit, keeping your feet planted, so that you can pick up that inevitable quartering right. With goodf foot position and practice "you'll be begging for a hard left".
    Do the same thing at 5, but really, really stretch your feet around for that hard angle. Your back will be facing the shooter on 4.
    I know this sounds like I'm missing the point on your canting question, but I suspect that if your feet are in the right place, your body will turn correctly and the gun will stay vertical as it should.
    My $.02.

dju

7. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

JMO but, sounds like Stock is a "LITTLE" LONG . Just saying !!!!!!!!!!!!Joe joe90t

8. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Are you a left or a right hand shooter? If your a lefty Joe90T is on the right track..

9. BT99Max100

BT99Max100 Member

Just wanted to "Thanks" to those that have responded. I now have a couple ideas to work on. (Sterlingworth) I am a right hand shooter. The LOP on my gun is at 14" .

The things that I'm going to work on are 1.) not moving the barrel into the path of the bird and 2.) moving my stance more to the left and 3.) rotate at the waist.

"Thanks"

John Somers ( USA Flag Blinder guy)

10. johnpe

johnpe Member

My first thought is that you are dropping your left shoulder to make the turn.
    The response from dju is probably pretty much spot on. Another and easier way to make the move is to bend the front knee just a little and make sure you lean forward with most weight (maybe 60/40 or 70/30) on the front leg. That will allow you to rotate from the ankles and provide about twice the rotation that standing straight will do.

Johnpe

11. emathu11

emathu11 Member

It"s simple. Your stance is probably to closed. ( Pointing more right). On station 1 and two you should open your stance ( If you had a stick across your shoulders it should point to the left marker at the 50 yds point.) Simply because of your stance, you run out of swing, so you have to lean or pull the gun off your face. WATCH YOUR STANCE. ON 4 & 5 the stick across your shoulders should point more towards the middle of the field.
    ED

12. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Another exercise that may benefit you is once you are on the line and in position, but before you call pull, make a couple of mock passes from your hold point out to the anticipated "kill zone", or just past, making certain that you follow a straight path, not some glorified U or W. It just alerts your muscles and prepares them to smoothly follow the rock, keep the gun vertical, etc. Do that for a while and eventually it will resolve itself. But it's never a bad idea to do it once or twice when moving to 5 or to 1.
    dju

13. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

are you shooting a tall rib barrel?

14. BT99Max100

BT99Max100 Member

I'm using a Browning XT

John

15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

John, Nothing above your belly-button on your upper body should move during the swing "At All". But, You can move your eyes around and that's it. You move the gun left and right with your legs and waist, and up with your back. If you have gone up to far and have to lower your gun during the flight of a bird the next sound you will hear is "Lost". Never move the gun with your shoulders or arms. This will move your eye around on the barrel. Your eye is your rear sight and "Must Not Move During The Swing At All". The only way your gun can move/or cant is if your using your upper body to move the gun!!! Good Luck and Break em all. Jeff