1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Age 65 To Become an ATA Veteran?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RLC323, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Currently the age requirement for Veteran class in ATA shooting is 65, five years later at 70 you become a Sr. Vet.

My questions: Why do we make older shooters wait so long?

Could we increase participation in ATA shoots if Veteran class started at age 55 and Sr. Vet at 65?

Are there a lot of ATA shooters out there in the mid to late 50's who quit registered shooting when the skills fade a little, because 65, and the chance of recognition, is so far away?

The "senior" tour in golf begins at age 50 which may be a bit young for trapshooting, or is it?

Your opinions please on this topic and if you would include your age in your post it would be appreciated.

Ron Cox...49

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Ron, I'm 68.

For a short time, the ATA reduced the age for vets to 60. It didn't work as intended; what happened was that young vets won about everything and the system didn't work right.

To have an effective "special category" you need two things: relatively small numbers and a way to keep really good shooters out of it. The age-60 rule violated both rules, in that it vastly increased the size of the category and put too many good shooters into it.

The vet and senior-vet categories are starting again to work poorly, primarily because too many still-good shooters are moving into the category (ies) . This should be addressed by creating Vet-A and Vet-B, but I doubt it will happen for a while.

Neil

3. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

The WRETA in Oregon reduced the veterans age from 65 to 60 and then added a senior vet at age 70. The shooters age 60 to 64 were the biggest benafactors and winners. I agreed with adding the senior vet category but was and still am against lowering the age to 60 for veterans. At age 65 to 69 there is a lot of differce in the aging process and trying to compete against persons 5 to 9 years younger is not desirable. Post-2

4. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Maybe we should look into adding a Jr. Veteran Category for those 55 to 65. This would protect those already in the Vet and Sr. Vet classes, and could improve participation among those in that age group.

I realize that the ATA and states would loathe the idea of adding another category. With the extra trophies to purchase, another round of shoot-offs etc, it may be impossible. But if it could be found to improve participation it could be worth while.

If there is a chance anyone within the ATA could find out the current participation by age group, we may be able to find if we are losing some mid to late 50's shooters.

Or am I just wasting bandwidth with this. Again your opinions...

5. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

I believe it was the 1995 season!(I could be wrong, +/- a year)By lowering the age that one year I was able to qualify for the Ks State Veteran team 6 times!!

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Mike, it is my understanding that yardage group trophies will continue at the Grand and be supplemented by eight or nine place trophies for the top scores.

This will have to be in place for a while - and work - before there will be enough support or need to extend it. It also will need more support from shooters to happen in the wider association, in my opinion. And even then it's no sure thing, but states and zones can do it now on their own if they want.

Neil

7. bgf

bgf Active Member

RLC...,

I just turned 65 in January of this year. When you reach 65 you will answer your own question. You will have to speak up because I can't here you. Or, use larger type when posting so I can read it. A huge dif. between 64 and 65...trust me...

Bernie

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

A class of your own congregation

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You think the Vet class is easy?? Check the AA team and see which Big Dogs have aged. You had better be on top of your game if you expect to win anything. If you think it's a easy way to a win forget it.

Don

10. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

I am traveling with an 85 year old SVET that will hand you your hat if you don't watch him.

What Class should he be in?

FRedmon

11. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

So...do you guys honestly think more people quit when they are in their late 50s/early 60s because they aren't winning enough trophies or people leaving the Jr. class going into no category for 47 years (along with most of them entering college and starting their lives at the same time)? Just curious...

Justin Lancaster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

age of ata senior

veteran class ata