1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why a stainless gun?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by timb99, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Cuz they look cool.

2. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

Nyttro said it all.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

why not

Gene

4. C H S

C H S TS Member

There's stainless steel and then there's other stainless steels. In fact, there are probably more types of stainless steel than you can shake a dead squirrel at and a lot of them don't make good gun parts for one reason or another. There are a heck of a lot of bad stainless steels on the market (ever handle or use Pakistani stainless steel surgical instruments?) and a lot of the better stainless is tough (expensive) to machine correctly. Frankly, I won't buy a stainless steel weapon because I never talked to a gun dealer who could tell me enough about the steel the gun was made of to satisfy my that it was made of suitable material.

Andy

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

The only arguement that I've ever heard about owning a stainless steel gun is the shimmer. The book that I read (in the gravest extreme) said it had the potential for giving yourself away. I think that this was more of a situation of combat, and not for the general personal protection like most people use them for.

The one thing that I liked about a brushed finish stainless gun is the ability to remove a scratch with a scotch bright pad.

ec90t

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member

I have a Taurus PT 92AFS in stainless and its super easy to care for, I put some Hogue grips on it - its pretty slick looking too! Blued guns are non-stainless and treated in an acid bath to create that protective coating, but when bluing wears the exposed steel is susceptible to rusting. Even with bluing intact, you are correct a blued gun's finish can pit from sweat or humidity - look at our shotgun barrels - got to keep them oiled.

Stainless might not be the best choice for concealment (sic?), but for easy of maintenance, its tough to beat.

Jay Spitz

7. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

If you want to know if your stainless steel gun is of inferior stainless steel and could possibly rust, I suggest putting a magnet to it. If it's slightly magnetic it's of inferior stainless. What I mean by inferior is it's slightly prone to rust.

8. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

There are different grades of stainless steel. Its just like grades of guns. The better the grade, the less likely it will rust. Go online and research it. You will see what he is talking about. Steve

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Hoggy,

400 series stainless has enough carbon in it to be slightly magnetic. 300 series and under, don't have enough carbon in them to be magnetic. One series isn't inferrior to the other, just sometimes the manufacturer needs the stainless to be a little stiffer. The less carbon their is, the softer the metal and less prone to rust.

ec90t

10. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

I have a ruger redhawk in .44 mag in stainless steel. What I know is that it leads up much faster than a high carbon regular blued steel barrel in the same gun. Leading in my stainless barrel is quite visible within 50 shots. however, I found an easy way to get the lead out was to fire a cylinder of full power jacketed ammunition at the end of the shooting session. So if you are going to shoot lots of practice (which is what you need to do if you are going to depend on this gun to save your life), .....

11. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

So noted. I thought it was the iron content not carbon that made it magnetic. I'll have to test putting a magnet to carbon. Thanks for the info.

12. 1max1molly

1max1molly TS Member

Correct me if I am wrong but SS rifles tend to wear out the rifling sooner. You have to really shoot alot to acheive that. If it was me I'd buy a SS hand gun. Nothing looks worse, lowers a resale value and makes a statement about owner like a rusty gun. Like it black have it teflon coated.

13. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Nice shiny SS44 mag would sure give your self away to a intrueder,but what the heck pulling the trigger will too! LOL Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.