1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

why a single?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kysmith, Nov 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kysmith

kysmith TS Member

So, I've taken up trap this year and have noticed everyone I shoot with has either gravitated toward an sbt gun or already has one?

Why is that? Seems that an auto or o/u would be just as successful and more practical. Do any of the top shooters use something other than a single-barrel trap gun?

2. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

yes, there are buches of semi-autos.

3. kysmith

kysmith TS Member

But what about a high-quality o/u, like a Caesar Guerini, 85tss, or XT? That's truly setup for trap?

4. zelmo96

zelmo96 Member

Maybe I can help. I have been shooting trap since 2001. I am 42. I started shooting my Browning Gold. My average the 1st 2 years were 93 and 91.5 for singles. In 2003 I bought a Browning XT. My average went up to 94, then 95.8, 96.3, 96.8. My doubles went from in the 70's, to almost 91 last year. I handed the Browning down to my son and bought a 682 LTD. I just got the unsingle barrel and love it . I listened to Phil Kiner and set up the gun so I mount the gun and don't have to move my head at all. I can't wait for next year. I came through this progression and hopefully will get even better. I still think semi's are great, especially for people who are recoil sensitive. End story is , go with what feels the best to you. Good luck and run em. Al

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

So many things to consider, Shooting trap ATA for 2 years now. What it comes down to is what fits, what you like, what you can afford. Fit is a key thing. Im short have a short neck and also cheak to eye distance is not that great. Almost all guns I mount trap, field, what ever. I am looking at the back of the reciever. Hence the need for adjustable comb or some type of add on comb. Also 34" guns just feel to long for me. Combos look cool, and if they fit shoot great. Money is a big factor, I wasted some money playing around with modifying a 870 express into a trap gun. Not such a waste, I learned what to do, not to do. What works for me. blah blah blah. I have A itch for a combo gun. If and when I have 4k or more to dump. I have norrowed my search to XT, possible joel etchen beretta combo of some sort. By the way great web site joel etchen has. Love just checking out what he has. Also the Cynergy trap combo comes to mind. Also I would most likly buy something I can get a PFS grip for. Google joel etchen guns. Look around his entire site. Great deals new and used. Also mike at silver dollar fire arms has some great prices to.

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

kysmith

"Seems that an auto or o/u would be just as successful and more practical."

Why do you think an Auto or O/U would be more practical?

The gun I shoot is a combo having a single barrel and an O/U shoot the single barrel in single target events and the O/U in two target events. I do not however see a O/U or Auto as more practical.

Bob Lawless

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Just a thought at the Cardinal Classic the singles winner won with an NCP Beretta---if he can shoot that good in competition which is very intense with an auto-loader, - its the Indian not the arrow---he won with a gun that is less than 3K.

Lou

8. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

This is, word for word, the same question just posted on ShotgunWorld. the same type of answers were given there.
    I guess this is known as the shotgun approach to information?

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

635 G the cost of your gun has nothing to do with how well you shoot. If gun price was a guarantee of score the average gun price in this sport would rise dramatically.

Bob Lawless

10. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

My dad, Frank Little, always said that trapshooting was 90% you and 10% equipment. That being said, shoot what you are comfortable with and make sure your gun fits. If you buy a new gun don't vary more than 2" unless you are prepared to shoot thousands of targets to get used to it. Kim

11. alf174

alf174 Member

Back to the OP: Because it is the absolute specific tool for shooting trap singles and handicap - not much else. If you think that you'll be shooting different games (skeet, SC, helice) at the same frequency that you'll be shooting trap than it probably is not the right tool for you - a combo would make more sense. But if you shoot only trap and a lot of it, you may find yourself narrowing your box of tools down to a SBT.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Automatics are fine and they do offer some advantages. But, they have more moving parts and things that can break.

Pat Ireland

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

O/U's confuse me. I'll be doing fine, and a couple misses makes me want to switch barrels.

Can't do that with a single.

I have both, the 2 piper stays home most of the time.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.