1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why a "high shooting gun"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BrokeTrapDad, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrokeTrapDad

BrokeTrapDad Member

Seeing another thread got me thinking WHY do people prefer a high shooting gun vs. one that shoots straight and Ive even heard stories of guys bending barrels etc. what is the story behind this and what is the purpose and do people really bend the barrels on these high end guns?

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Why a

bending barrels was to raise the point of impact. K guns used to use hangers to warp the barrel. maybe still do.

In trap, you are always shooting a rising bird, so it makes no sense to leave half your shot pattern underneath the bird...

3. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Why a

Trap dad;I shoot a high shooting so I do not have to cover the bird to hit it.If you cover the bird abd it dips or goes up you can not correct your shot.

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Why a

You shoot where the target is going, not where it is at. John

5. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Why a

so you can see what you're shooting at!

6. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Why a

What Eurojoe said. I have a Browning XT that I ahve to cover the bird with, lead through it and then look around to see if I have hit it. I have a Perazzi that I "float" the bird above the barrel. I don't have to look around to see the target shatter with the Perazzi

7. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Why a

MDMIKE... Do you have an adjustable comb on that Browning XT? If not, it sounds like that would help your problem. Having an adjustable comb retrofitted to an existing gun is not that expensive in the long run.

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Why a

My bird guns shoot high as well. Why I would want to lose track of a bird anymore then a clay target is beyond me.

This is a rising target game. If you are not shooting the target while it is rising then you already know which problem needs correction first.

I have never undestood why anybody would want pellets underneath where they are looking. It's just plain silly but lots of guys use all kinds of logic to talk themselves into why they should do it.

Jeff

9. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Why a

Super Jeff ,

I like a fairly high shooter as well. BUT...the reason everyone doesn't like a high shooting gun is they don't shoot the same style as you or me.

BTW...tell Kay Ohye that its silly, he only has a 99% average with 285,000+ singles. He shoots and recommends a maximum of a 70/30 gun. Leo Harrison must be silly too, has only held a 99% or better since 1979....also likes a fairly low shooter.

10. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Why a

Where is Gary on this one???

11. Shawn

Shawn Member

Why a

We are all in pursuit of the same thing. We want to just touch the bottom of the target and let er rip.

For some of us that means a flat shooting gun for others it is a gun that shoots a full pattern high.

Whatever works for you.

Good shooting

Shawn

12. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Why a

Star4ever, no I don't have an adjustable comb on my XT but I believe it is going to get one. I can't seem to shoot it as it is.

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Why a

Handy has the long run from the 27 yard line with 510 or 505. Whatever it is. 100% shooting gun. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

do browning trap guns shoot high

why do trap guns shoot high