1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why a high POI required

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Setterman, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Could it be the gap created by some shooters that "float" the target?
    [​IMG]
    Could that "float" gap at 16 yards be an 1", and 3-4" at 27 yards?. You'll also have +/- 4" of shot drop on that 27 yard target. Less on the 16 yard target.

Open to comments on a wet Monday.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Wayyyyyyyyyyyy over my head Rosie. I'll be reading and learning though.

Back up top for the more intellect.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When you aim the shotgun like a target rifle you need the high POI to make up for the lack of gun movement. HMB

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Harry, are you saying Ray Stafford aims his shotgun with his 32 inch high pattern? Or Harlan Campbell does with his 25 inch high pattern? Evidently you haven't watched these guys shoot very much? How about Larry Gravestock? 4 foot high??

Required POIs depend on how one tracks or attacks a clay. I find it much easier to point my finger AT a moving object than guess how far under or above it may be? My best POI may not work at all for someone else so its up to each to find his own best POI.

Hap

5. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

If you think about floating the bird and the gap you will not shoot well, you have to concentrate on the bird and not the bead or any of that. Really high shooters hold high and don't move the gun vertically much if any, it's just a horizontal swing and let the shot go when the bird gets in view above the gun. The high POI takes care of the vertical movement. The tricky part with that set up is when it's windy and the birds don't act normal.

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

NOT required but in trap you're usually shooting at a rising target and most people don't like to "cover" the target they like to see it above their bbl.

So if YOU are comfortable touching or covering the target you will shoot just as well as those who like a high POI. It's all up to you. ENJOY what is comfortable to YOU. Ross Puls

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I touch the target at 16yds and 27 yds with my 20"inch POI reesults are smoke.

I do not float a bird except shooting buddies when partner misses his target
    then it is a matter if it is still rising or on the way down and this can be little float or a foot or two.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. warren

warren Member

Ross has it right the target is rising and I like to see it over my gun sights therefore a high POI

warren

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

FWIW, my gun only shoots 9" high at 35 yards. I have the target about 1/4" above the front bead at 16 yards. At the 27 the front bead is right on the bottom of the target. My sight picture is almost identical to what you have drawn.

Wayne

10. Setterman

Wayneo, I see that sight picture too, and my gun shoots 12" high at 28 yards. On hard right and lefts, I always see the bird. That tells me my bead is under the target, but in soft focus it looks like I touch the bird.

11. Gunnerx11

Gunnerx11 TS Member

Don't forgot that Gravity is also a factor and must be accounted for in
    your P.O.I. and timing.

Sharing a thought,

Gunnerx11

12. Hap MecTweaks

You guys mentioning another shot charge fall of 4 more inches is off the mark guys! A plain barreled shotgun is regulated to shoot a 50/50 pattern at 40 yards! The shot charge doesn't drop another 4 inches at that distance! The 4 inches of drop is measured from the centerline of the bore, a bead placed on top of the barrel seen over the receiver top makes it a 50/50 deal(POI).

The easiest way of seeing this is with a 1 ounce slug at trap velocities, or, a 1-1/4 oz slug. Regulated with the bead height, they drop the same amount as shot of equal weight at equal velocities and distances of 40 yards.

Hap

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Hap, shotguns are regulated to get out the door. They can shot anywhere. That's why you have to test them.

Neil

14. Setterman

I'm assuming that if I shot a pattern board at 2' away and did it again at 45 yards, the center of my pattern would be 4" lower at 45 yards regardless of the starting POI.

I have also heard some say that #8's drop more than 7 1/2's. True Neil?

15. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Click on the link for some basic info.

Wayne

16. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Gunner you account for gravity when you set your POI for the distance you intend to break the bird, +or- a few yards from that point the drop is insignificant.

Hap comparing a slug to birdshot is ok up to 25 yds maybe, but after that the slug will not lose it's velocity nearly as much as the individual bird shot pellets will. Therefore comparing POI at 40 yds might not be valid. Perhaps Neil has a chart?

17. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

My POI is about 8 or 9 inches high at 40 yards. What is wrong because I literally could not tell you if my bead was 8" under or just under a bird when both eyes are open. With a patch on my left lens I have more of a clue but I can't shoot very well that way.

18. Hap MecTweaks

SBE, I thought according to the Newton guy that weight drops at the same rate of fall but one may be farther out?

Neil, of course they come from factories in all sorts of shapes and flavors, some even as a Monday Gun (not worth a crap). Adding in an extra fall of 4 inches isn't correct either which was the point.

Hap

19. Setterman

Mike, If you can shoot consistant good scores with out seeing the barrel or bead in soft focus, I'd say that's a good thing! Why some see the bead/barrel in soft focus and some don't....I don't know.

I'd like to hear Stafford or Harlan describe what they see with those high POI's.

20. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Over the years I've been shooting I've raised my POI to 80/20. I see the full bird and never have to cover it. No time to measure either. I feel every shooter needs an adjustable gun. As we get better the POI needs to change to match. Dave T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

tip for high poi trap shooting

why use a high poi on a trapgun