1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why a combo?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by slowdp, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

What is the real reason for a combo anyway? The appearance of the target in relation to the barrel (lead) changes with different length barrels. This makes it harder to shoot because you have to remember what you are shooting. The barrels may weight the same but they often feel and swing different. Interchangeable chokes allow the shooter to select what he needs for the yardage at hand. What am I missing?

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Many folks prefer shooting a single barrel for singles and caps, which means another gun or barrel is required for doubles. It is much less of a problem (IMHO) to put another barrel set on the same stock, than to try and set up another gun. Bill Malcolm

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

My combo must be different than other as there is no difference in lead between the two sets of barrels. Also the POI is the same between the barrels.

What I like about the combo is the same stock being used. There are some people who don't like or can't shoot the combo sets. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Bill

4. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Same stock, Same trigger, usually same[style] rib..........nuff said.

GS

5. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

But the only trick is to find 3 barrels that shoot to the same spot...but if you like combos, they are certainly popular. Trying to keep things simple (less complicated with barrel length, balance, swing), a well-made o/u will work for all events...and costs less too unless you buy a quality o/u which costs the same as a lesser quality combo. Best Regards, Ed

6. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Maybe I missed my question. The real question is why two sets of barrels in the first place? What do you use each for?

My combo has the same rib height on both sets of barrels so they both fit without changing the stock. The also both have the same POI. I shoot the 32" O/U in handicaps as well as the undersingle. I am missing out on the logic of having two in the first place.

7. Bridger

Bridger Member

The o/u barrels are usually used only for shooting doubles and the single barrel used for all singles events. The problem can be that the barrels may not necessarily shoot to the same poi. Having the same rib height on both barrels doesn't guarantee they will shoot the same.

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

People who have fixed choke tubes and non-selectable triggers usually shoot the single barrel for singles and caps, and the O/U for doubles only.

Combos with choke tubes and/or a selectable trigger allows one to use the O/U set for singles and doubles and configure the single barrel to shoot higher for caps with the same stock settings. I know many who take this approach.

9. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

That makes sense. Combos are a hold over from earlier days where chokes were not interchangeable.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The ultimate, economical combo gun is the over/under or an auto-loader. Rightfully equipped, either can take a clay shooter to any game or discipline he selects on any given day. The general mantra favoring a combination set, one stock and receiver with over/under barrels and separate single barrel, is that there is some betterment by using just one stock/trigger/receiver for all trap games by just switching barrels for single shot games or doubles. The next thought prefers to have one gun specifically set up for single shot games and another for doubles providing a "back-up" gun available to you should the single barrel fail on the line. Which is dead on right? Another personal decision to be made by the shooter IMHO....breakemall....Bob Dodd

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

If I were to shoot an O/U for singles and handicap, I could never remember what barrel to load.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.