Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WHY A BARREL PATTERNS BETTER WITH 8 OR 71/2?

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Shooting Coach 
#1 ·
HELLO:
WHY DO SOME SHOTGUN BARRELS PATTERN BETTER WITH DIFFERENT SIZE SHOT? to me, it doesn't make any sense, but it sure seems to happen. i find this to be very strange. the difference between 8's and 71/2 size shot doesn't seem to be that much of a difference.
steve balistreri

#4 ·
There is a difference on paper between the patterns of 7.5 and 8 shot. When testing 7.5 shot, the holes are slightly larger and the total number of holes is less. If the total number of holes is reduced to a percentage, the difference seems to just disappear.

Pat Ireland

#6 ·
Sorry, I'm still curious about this even though it may be the all-time most anal question ever asked on this board. And as long as we've drawn Neil out so easily…

Does anything happen to pellets and/or shot string as the load decelerates back down through the sound barrier? For supersonic loads. I realize this may well be a completely idiotic question and in fact, yes, I think I can hear my village calling for me right now. But just in case there's something to this question, I thought I'd wait for an answer.

Steve

#7 ·
That's an interesting result, Bill. Just a couple of quick questions. How many pellets were in each kind of shell, the 7 1/2's and 8's? How did you know?

What, in round numbers, were the pattern percentages of each?

What lead you to decide that it liked Remington more than AA?

Neil

#10 ·
Is there any chance, OTH, that you have learned to shoot better and it has nothing to do with the shot you are using? The thing is, unless you are shooting ultra-hard targets, there's no way at singles that fewer pellets can raise your average.

Long yardage handicap may be a different story, but, again, not necessarily related to "patterning better."

Neil

#11 ·
Neil...You could be right. I forgot to mention that at the 82 Grand Federal had 23/4 x1oz of 81/2. I shot those at handicap 20-22yd (cant remember what yardage). They shot very well and were soft shooting. I wish i would have bought an extra box to pattern.

Regardless what I shoot the people and the memories are priceless.

Gerald

#12 ·
And a few years after that, Gerald, Frank Kodl used an ounce of Remington 8 1/2's to win the Clay Target Championship with his 0.710 choked Ljutic.

All I was pointing out is that when we switch from one thing to another and like the result we never go back to find out if the switch was what really made the difference. No one does. It wouldn't make any sense to.

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.