Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why 100% high shooting guns?

7K views 50 replies 27 participants last post by  FlaLagarto 
#1 ·
Pattern my Kolar Max today and its shooting a good 95% + high. There rib adjustments are right on the money. Seems to be working because im getting more straights and ink balling the targets.. What's your thoughts on high shooting trapguns? My buddy Penduin helped me set up the pattern board. Thanks Mark.

#9 ·
I'm glad you do have a pattern board and help with it because that is such a big help I can't tell you.

But do you have the required bench-rest to go with it, Earl. You used to, or told us you did.

So were these shots made using a bench rest? If not, they don't indicate a thing.

And now the question all of us are asking. Where did that Blaser you shot so well (Yes, you really did shoot it just great! ) shoot?

Neil

#15 ·
A non-answer if I ever read one, Earl.

From it I infer that you made the terrible mistake of selling a gun you could really shoot without first finding out _why_ you could shoot it.

Based on our multi-year interactions with you about POI, I will make a prediction you won't like and I hope won't come true.

You will never shoot this new Kolar for sour apples until you lower the POI to just a little high and forget about "shooting a gun like the stars use." That's nonsense as you about to find out, if not learn, for what, the tenth, twentieth, hundredth time? But for some reason didn't learn before either because you are hung up on stars, not scores.

Yours in well-meaning sport,

Neil (for what, the tenth, twentieth, hundredth time?)

#18 ·
Neil, my Blaser shot about 80/20 when I patterned it so I see very little difference in comparing both guns. The Kolar is a little heavier and the rib is about 1/8 inch higher. I kinda like the additional rib height. I had to add weight to the Blaser the Kolar I don't. The Blaser didn't, have enough comb offset so I had to move comb way to the right leaving a huge ledge on the stock. Kolar got me a number 4 stock which has plenty off offset without moving the comb. Way more comfortable to shoot. Another issue was the release trigger in the Blaser. It stuck in when I pulled it and as I moved the gun it went off on the cement. This Unnerved me. This release trigger failure on a Blaser also happened to a friend of mine. That was the last straw why I changed guns.
I feel the Blaser release trigger I purchased was not proven. Kolar has a proven release trigger system and it's also easy to get to should problem arise. Not to mention 2 firing pins, 2 firing pin springs, sheared off screws on unsingle tube. Firing pin stuck out and can't open gun.. Ejectors never worked right from day one. I can go on. Lol.

#19 ·
I believe that the average shooter can not shoot a shotgun consistently well that patterns 90 to 100% high. I also feel that most shooters would benefit by holding either on the roof of the house or just slightly higher.

I have seen numerous shooters attempt to immolate the all American shooters by purchasing the same high shooting guns, holding extremely high above the roof, and attempting to take targets with blazing speed right out of the house.

The majority of these less experienced, less skillful shooters, soon realize that they need a poi from 60/40 to 70/30 to possibly 80/20 to shoot more consistently. They also soon realize that their hold points need to be more conservative by lowering their holds either on the house or just slightly higher. Once the realization becomes apparent to them that they also need to shoot at a speed that they feel that they are in control, rather than feeling they are out of control.

In my opinion, the less radical your shotgun's poi shoots above the line of sight, the lower the hold, and shooting at a speed that you are comfortable with, usually results in better more consistent scores for the average trapshooter.

The realization will normally set in that most of us will never be able to make the all American team, or match the speed of shooting like Brett Robinson, or shooting the consistent scores needed the likes of a Leo Harrison.

Steve Balistreri

#20 ·
Senior smoke, I am a high gun two eyed shooter. Allways have been. I hold about three to four feet over the house and wait for target to clear the barrel. Target is rising 99 percent of the time when I shoot. I think more people shoot under and behind the target than in front of it over over the target.

#21 ·
I'm sorry, Earl, but the very fact that you talk about your Blaser in percentages-high tells me you never found out where it shoots. If you had, you would just say "ten inches high" or whatever.

You are a two-eyed who holds where you describe who used to go a long time between trophies. In my opinion it was because you were in love with the idea of, if not the effectiveness of, "100%-high-shooting trapguns" which you have owned a bunch of to little effect most of the time. Then you get the Blaser which, with all its problems, bought you more silver than all the previous ones put together and then some.

Whatever its faults, that gun broke targets for you and you should have studied every millimeter of it to find out why.

Neil

#26 ·
Thanks, Earl.

Your previous question should be easy to answer but all you will get is guesses even from me. I don't think anyone knows. It's easy to calculate using trig, but you have to make so many wag's on the way there that the answer is meaningless.

My new video camera should give the the numbers (and I'll get them) but those numbers, those calculations, have nothing to do with shooting, or so I think.

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.