1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Why 1/2 Yard Punches

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by C Prince, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C Prince

C Prince TS Member

Why are there 1/2 yard punches? It doesn't change from where you shoot so how is it a handicap? Why not just go with a minimum of a yard? Just curious.

Chad

2. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

If you are on a half yard line when you get it, it sure changes things. Or 2 halfs equal a ONE.

Are you really serious.

Don

3. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Without 1/2's, it would be worse than it is now.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Chad, the same reason a baseball player gets 3 strikes before striking out...

One and done, would force too many who had a lucky day to be shooting beyond their abilities. take a look at the averages of many of your 27 yd shooters. Do they really deserve to be there???

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

BigM, lots of 'em deserve to be on the 30 yard line to don't ya think?

Gne J

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Very few.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Two 1/2 yard punches = 1 yard. Last year I got five 1/2 yard punches and no 1 yard punches. So far this year I have gotten no punches-- I hope things get better.

Pat Ireland

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

What's with this deserves to be there?? My averages probably say that but I don't care about averages and if I did I wouldn't shoot half the targets I do. My averages don't take into consideration the punches I have recieved from the 27. For example in Florida this winter I shot a 75 one day and a 95 the next day which is a 85 average which gave me a 1/2 for the 95. The difference 30+ mph wind. I guess you want me on the 20 to compete with you and others.

Work on ones own game and quit worrying about others. You should worry about those who continually work their way forward to kick your butt before getting punched back.

Don

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Don- You do deserve to shoot from the 27. From that yardage, I sometimes have a slight chance to beat you. I can now confess, in Florida I talked to each trap machine and did my best to get them to throw you all hard rights when you were on post five. You still beat me but I am thankful that you only reminded me of that once or twice a day. Trapshooting is fun and shooting trap with Don is more fun.

Pat Ireland

10. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I'm glad that they have 1/2 yd. punches,because I would still be on the 20 ,if they didn't.I'm only on the 21,and that is because I shot a 94 on Saturday,and won........will wonders never cease!!!! I'll take a 1/2 yd anytime I can get it,it sure as hell beats winning with nothing to show for it.
    Shoot em up my friends,just smoke.
    D.P.Reynolds

11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Quit yer braggin Dave, I got two simultaneous 1/2 yd punches for winning with a 90 at Carney a couple of weeks ago.

The prize was a very nice S/S drop-tip folding knife although I appreciated the nice new hole in my average card much more.

Last year my card was devoid of any perforations. I did "win" two reductions however, at least I did garner some form of attention from the ATA--better than nothing I guess....

Guy Babin

12. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I was trying for a 1/2 yard punch yesterday at Fall Creek Valley CC during the "Shoot for the Cure" but my 94 wasn't good enough. Guess I'll just have to be happy with the Longyardage Trophy.

Rich (trying for the fence) in Indiana

13. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

The ATA should eliminate punches. Just have three disciplines, 16's, Doubles
    and Handicap from the 27yard line for all shooters. And have a class system for
    handicap, same as Doubles and 16's. Is the current handicap system fair? NO!

You don't need punches. Give it some thought.
    This should be interesting.

Gunnerx

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gunnerx- What you are suggesting is the elimination of handicap where everyone is competing against each other and replacing it with another singles event shot from the 27.

Pat Ireland

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ditto Pat; my continuing argument against another classes or a single yardage event - already got one of them......Bob Dodd

16. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I got a belt buckle....HA.......better than an old Chinese knife anyway,
    OOOPPPSSSSSS..........belt buckle made there too. I'm gonna shut up,and get while the gettins good..............Good shooting on Sunday,Guy !(2 97)
    Smoke em all.......D.P.Reynolds

17. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Gunner, I have thought about it. I'm on the 24 trying like hell to get to the 27 and the only thing is see wrong with the current handicap system is the people who want to bitch and change it to their advantage.

Some times in life you have to set down and realize that you have only so much talent and if that isn't enough to get you where you want to go you have to learn to man up and live with it. It may be that I will never reach the 27 but it won't be for the lack of trying under the current system or trying to change the rules so I can make it.

Bill

18. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

Pat,re-read my post. All handicap would be from the 27 yard line for all shooters. A class type system, as in 16's would be in employed. A class could
    be added such as the following. AA,A,B,C,D and a E class. There would be a
    winner in each class, as it is now in 16's. However each class should shoot
    for its own money. No punches, No back and forth, No saftey issues with
    shooters two yards ahead of one another. Multiple handicap events could then
    be held and or marathon handicap events, without the hassle of waiting for
    punches and re-squadding. A shooter would learn to shoot one yardage, that being the 27 yard line. Thats his goal anyway or should be. That is not
    elimination as you interperted, it is however a wise and practical suggestion.

Can you image, think of this, A squad of handicap shooters, you pick the yardage, and one shooter is two yards ahead of the others, legal by ATA rules.
    And now a shooter BEHIND him, lets say with a release, lets one go! Is that
    safe? Think of it man, the Horror of it. And it could be avoided. And the
    day cometh. The Saftey issue alone should be enough to place everyone on
    the 27 yard line for handicap events. Damm the Punches!
    But thats Wise and Practical and that makes it difficult for most. EGO rules
    the day, the mentality being, I hope its not me who is shot in the back.

Looking Ahead,
    Gunnerx

19. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Gunnerex, You could stub your toe and get an infection in it and die too. Just not likely to happen.

How many shooters do you think would continue shooting when they were shooting scores in the 50s and lower from the back fence.

Darn few......

Just my opinion.

Hauxfan!

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gunnerx- Current ATA rules only allow a maximum distance of three yards on a squad and a maximum of two yards between adjacent shooters.

Your suggestion would not be a handicap event. It would be a singles event shot from the 27 yard line. In a handicap, disadvantages are placed on some shooters in an effort to give some an advantage over others. The handicap is awarded based on past performance. The yardage an event is shot from does not make it a handicap. If all shoot from the 27, a handicap is not placed on anyone, they just shoot in different classes as we now shoot singles.

Rick- 22 and 27 yard wobble doubles? We can't get many shooters to shoot doubles from the 16 yard line. What would your suggestion accomplish? You also suggested that Calcutta's be restricted to 27 yard shooters. Do you wish the ATA to regulate an illegal gambling activity?

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.