1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHO'S WAD? Which wad?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by flchevelleman, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flchevelleman

flchevelleman TS Member

Been reloading few months now . Bought mec 9000 h with 10,000 claybuster waa12 (CB1118) and waa12sl(cb 1110) and Fig 8 (cb8118-12) . Only use AA or nitro/sts hulls. Is there a better wad/ downrange? is therea better design? We shoot sporting clays and air. ha!!! Claybusters seen to get powder around te wad alot. A guy at the club told me clays is recycled and leaves alot of build up. Seem to have more in my ports?? Trying to match factory nitro/STS or better...
    Thanks Tim

SHooting Sporting clays,and alot of air sometimes..
    I have alliant red dot powder now, win 209 primers & cci 209. any better recipies.

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

You did not mention what clays game you are shooting. I shoot more Skeet than anything else, and find 1 oz loads more than sufficient, particularly given the price of shot. My practice loads are 7/8 oz, and I've run 100 at least once with the lighter load. My 7/8 oz wad of choice hands down is the Downrange XXL-Pink wad. My 1 oz load has been Green Duster wad based. That said, I have also used the Spolar Gold for one oz, and the CB4100 for 7/8 oz loads, because I got them from a friend at a good price. I plan on trying some Downrange wads for 1 oz when I next order wads just because I like their XXL-Pink ones so well.

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I use only the STS hull now, and have used the Claybusters, WT12 and Blue and Green Dusters, all with success... I use Clays powder from Hodgdon, maybe its your powder choice?!

regards all,

Jay

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

WHO'S WAD? Which wad??

Tim,

Let me if I can decifer your post here.

You are having problems with plastic residue/build-up in the forcing cones, porting, and choke tubes.

The answer is quit using those cheap claybuster wads. They are made out of an inferrior grade of plastic.

I really like the DownRange wads because they all but eliminate this problem. I use the green XL-1's for 7/8 and 1 oz loads and the Versalites for my 1 1/8 oz loads. I also use the fig 8 and TGT-12 clones from Downrange in some of my specialty loads.

ss

5. maka

maka Member

I have been using Downrange green XL-1 in remington gun club and STS shells. Us to use clays until I found about Aliant Promo on this site. Both powders worked good with wads. Call Kevin at Downrage, he is the best on loads and wad combo. Do a search on Downrange. Good luck.

6. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I have gone to the Downrange wads... easier on your loader and cleaner barrels athe end of a shoot.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have used Claybuster wads for many years and I have never had a problem with them. Claybuster were the first "discount" wads available.

Pat Ireland

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Is there a better wad/ downrange? is therea better design?

Why not use Fig 8?

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have used both downrange and claybuster and see no difference, I used to doubt the Windjammer wad, now I am confident in it both are made by Downrange and Claybuster, Downrange are White Claybusters are Blue Last I bought were $59.00 for a case of 5,000 at Ohio State Shoot from AJ Brenner. There is actually reduced pressures w/this wad in all hulls.Should transfer to reduced recoil.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Dr Longshot... Where does pressure figure into the recoil calculations? I haven't seen that formula.

11. dimapower

dimapower Member

I've used both downrange and CB - no noticeable difference other than price, so I go with CB.

12. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Downrange XL-1 in Win and Rem tapered hulls for 1 oz loads. Works for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.