1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who's had laser eye surgery?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Kemen053, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kemen053

Kemen053 Member

O.k guys ang gals, who's had corrective eye surgery and what has been the benefits or downside associated with the procedure?.Any feed back would be appeciated,thanks Ross.

2. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

Ross,
    I've been thinking about laser surgery myself. Many of the people I've talked to said the vision has started to decrease again after a year or two. I'll be interested to hear what folks here have to say.

3. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I had it done about 8 years ago. The best thing I ever had done for my eyes.
    I wore glasses for about 40 years, to correct an astigmatism and farsightedness. At the end of my glass wearing days I had tri-focals for reading, computer work and distance. Lasik took care of everyone of them. Made those 55 year old eyes see 20/20 & 20/10, Doc. did tell me that in a few years I may have to buy some cheap reading glasses and he was right, but at about $2 a pair for 1.5power glasses I can live with that at 63. You just don't know how great it is not to have those things sliding down your nose on hot days and fogging up on cold days.
    NOW a word of caution, not all people are good candidates for Lasik, make sure you go to a doctor who's done at least 1000 of them and has your interest in mind and not his fee. Some people report problems with night vision, dry eyes, and light sensitivity, I think this happens because the Doc was not honest with them.
    You only have one pair of eyes, do your research carefully on the procedure and the Doctor. It's a proven cure for a lot of people.

4. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I agree with jmbi. Best $3500 I ever spent.

5. WATRDOG

WATRDOG TS Member

Had mine done 18 months ago I'm happy I did it. Had glasses since I was 12 know 46. It was nice to be able to work or hunt,fish in the rain and snow and be able to see. I need reading glasses to read blue prints and the paper but just 1.0 but can see great at a distance and was told this buy my doc. Do some resurce it's not like buying a used car where your looking for a deal.I've been lucky with no halo's or dry eyes they get a little foggy when I first get up if I'm tiered,but clear up in few minutes. Good luck with your decision. Bill

6. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I had mine done about two years ago. I tried wearing different power of contacts in my eyes for a few weeks to see if I could do the monovision. One eye for distance,one for reading. It seems some people can and some are really uncomfortable with it. I ended up with my eyes .75 apart. My Doctor normally does 1.0 apart but I felt I could see targets better with them closer to the same. I can read, etc. fine but do wear reading glasses to thread a needle and other real fine work. I love mine.

7. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

I had mine done about 3 years ago, best money I have spent. I fought dry eyes for about a year but thats behind me now, I had to have my left one redone but it was free of charge. Its so nice to be without glasses now. I would highly recomend find a TLC eye center to do it even if it means traveling. I believe most of their surgeons have performed 5000-10,0000 surgerys. If there are any doubts about turning out good on your eyes they wont do it. GOOD LUCK in your decision

8. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I had my eyes done maybe five or six years ago, I've been very pleased with the results. There was another shooter who had it done about a year after I had mine done. He went to the same very good doctors. He had diabetes, and his eyes never stabilized. He had to give up shooting. Becarefull that you don't have risk factors that might make things worse! Bruce

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

My wife had her eyes done about a year ago and so far had to have enhancement done to one eye but the other seems to be okay and holding ... She is thrilled with the results so far and said she wished she would of done it years ago rather than wait ... The price keeps coming down from the ads I see in the local news papers and the same Doctor who did hers for $3,000 is now doing them for $2,500 ... I will probably stay with contacts which I have worn for over 30 years, but you never know, you know ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. william miller

william miller TS Member

I also had the lasik last summer, best thing I ever did. I think some expect to have eyes like a hawk; but reality is about 20/20. It was worth every penny to no longer be depending on contacts or glasses. If you are older, as I am; you may face more dry eye problem, but I use Restasis drops and that was the magic for me; but I already didn't have tears before I had the surgery; so I can't blame the surgery for that. IT would be worth a doctor's visit to determine if you are a candidate for it. If I had to do it over, I would not hestitate to do it.

11. swamp rat

swamp rat TS Member

Had it done over 4 yrs ago and had my eyes checked 2 mth ago my vision is 20/10. Do yourself a favor and go for it. It was the best money I ever spent.

12. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

Had mine done in Jan 1999. Coming up on my ten year anniversary. I would do it again in a heartbeat... as long as I could get the same surgeon (Dr. Mann in Austin/Houston). It's been said by a lot of shooters here, but I can't stress enough the importance of doing your research on your doctor. My doc had the stats and references to back up his claims... and I did check out the references. He even provided references of those who had issues during recovery. One was a guy who rubbed his eyes too hard after surgery and tore his flap off and had to have it reattached. Not many doctors will provide references for both sides of the issue.

I now have 20/15 vision, no astigmatism. Just turned 40 last year, and had to finally invest in reading glasses. Couldn't do the dime store variety because the corrections were all too strong, and I work on a computer all day, so I invested in a good pair with anti-glare coating from the eye doctor.

No issues with my shooting. I had slight halo effect at night for about 6-8 months during recovery (perfectly normal), but that went away. Never had any other complications. On the way home from the procedure, I could read road signs!! Never could do that before without contacts or glasses.

13. Kemen053

Kemen053 Member

Thanks for the replies, I will see the eye doc today to find out the change to my vision over the last two years,then start looking for a surgeon.All the best Ross.

14. mono1393

mono1393 Member

I had a great experience wit LASIK surgery. I am out 4 yrs now and can't be happier with my vision. I do have to wear readers to see close up, but I don't have to wear glasses when I shoot or hunt or camp. It is great.

Chris Morris

15. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I had shot myself into C class with a 73 avg. at 27 and D in dbl.s. I had both eyes done 2 weeks apart last year. The last surgery was 8-1, I went to The GAH, bought non corrective lenses for 1st time in 25 years. I came home with class and HAA trophy & shot first 90+ in hdcp in 2 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.