1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who's Got Ducks?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 458 WM, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 458 WM

458 WM TS Member

Who

Ohio Waterfowl Season Opener this Saturday!

We've got Woodies,Mallards and Blacks in most of the backwaters off the Ohio River. Should be real fun. Weather is to be cold with snow and wind... It don't get much better than this!!!

MLM

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

MLM,

After work I pulled into the Point Place public access off Summit street just over the border into MI. A few guys had some Bluebills, A few woodies and green heads. The water was up with the East wind.{Maumee and Ottawa Backwater At the Erie mouth}

3. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

My kid had a birthday party so he didn't want to go, so I called a buddy who said he'd go with me Sunday am.

5:20 Sunday am buddy calls and cancels so I go out alone. Breaking ice across the marsh, no wind and the sun is coming up fast. I got bad vibes about the morning.

Two minutes after open a pair of mallards comes in over the goose decoys feet down and splash two... First double of the year!!!

Gotta love that Extrema II!

SW

4. logndog

logndog TS Member

458WM, Where on the Ohio do you hunt?

5. copper

copper Member

Well I can hear the wings in the dark my heart belongs to the ducks . We have snow in NE PA and it is to dam early I love the looks of the ducks against the snow back ground nothing matches that thrill for me have fun regards Dave

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Ducks open here (Delaware) on October 30th... the marshes are filling with activity.

Migratory Canada's on November 23rd.

Curt

7. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

My duck season opens Oct. 24th. We have one lake we always go to on the opener. Last season we all limited out with a good variety of ducks. We have shot as many as 8 different kinds of ducks there on one hunt.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We have good numbers of mallards way down here in northern NV. Seems like they showed up about a month early. Being green heads you would think they would know about global warming and stay up north a little longer. Guess they didn't get Algore's memo.

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Our season in the south zone in Iowa opens in the morning and I have yet to see a duck on my pond Our local waterfowel refuge is practically dry so that may have a lot to do with it. Maybe the other hunters will stir them up a bit. We are counting on it.

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

This weekend in Western Oregon and it will be good for the local talent. eastern oregon was last weekend and most guys did great. first weekend predicts nothing where i live. Jeff

11. pduryee

pduryee TS Member

Next weekend for us in Texas. Saw a few flights of Sandhill Cranes today. We have a few Canadas around but most are locals, big ducks starting to filter into the Panhandle.

12. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I have ducks, twelve. Also I have four geese. Here are 2 photos for 'ya. Want to see my deer? Rick
    ~~~Texas
    [​IMG]

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

No that's funny.... Jeff

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Nice duck blind. You can get yer whole truck in thare.

15. CO - 369

CO - 369 TS Member

Was on Riverton in sw. iowa this afternoon. The estimate is between 22 & 26 thousand. Lots of gadwalls and bluewings. At sunrise, will sound just like your state shoot. I'll wait for a weekday.

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Rick979: You will never have a bug around your home with those pets. Can't say that for the poop.....

17. 458 WM

458 WM TS Member

We harvested 4 Mallards and 7 Woodies yesterday for me and my buddies. Weather was great - overcast with a little snow flurries and misty rain. I didn't hunt today, but my buddies did and they bagged on mallard, 4 woodies and a green wing teal.

Now for the best part - the receipe:

Marinate the breasts overnite in red wine and a little Dale's Seasoning

Fry up about 4 pieces of bacon in a skillet over medium heat until the bacon is crisp and remove

Salt and pepper the breasts on both sides and sear/brown in the skillet for several minutes adding some chopped garlic and some finely chopped green onions.

Turn the heat up slightly and continue to cook the breasts until they reach 135 Degrees on a meat themoter. Remove the breasts and place on a heated plate near by. Pour about 1 cup of chicken broth into the skillet and stir up the bottom then add a good splash of red wine - and a large spoon full of grape jelly - cook the sauce down for several minutes then add about a cup of thinly sliced portabella mushrooms, a good handful of dark red grapes and about a cup of thinly sliced bananna.

Put the breasts back into the pan as the sauce thinkens for a couple more minutes - when they have reached 135+ degrees again remove them and slice the breasts into 1/4 inch medalions and place them back in the sauce for a little while.

Cook some wild rice and green beans while all this is going on -

Serve the green beans with the bacon crumbled over them - a good portion of the wild rice and lay out the medailions on the plate and spoon over the sauce, grapes and mushrooms on them. A nice glass of red wine goes well with this...... It doesn't get any better than this!!!!!@!!

Good Luck and Have a Great Season!

MLM

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

pickings were pretty slim on the Maumee River.

19. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

those ducks are cool !!!.........

20. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Our duck season doesn't open for a while but was outside yesterday at dark and the geese were flying over. At first it scared the crap out of me as it was so loud and there were so many of them. Then I wanted to just lay down on the ground and listen to them as they flew over. It was so neat. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.