1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who's better...Shotgun Tubes.???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by over the hill, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Who

Rather than buying a new shotgun, (20ga.), I was thinking of tubing my Rem. 32, (closest to a K80 I'll ever get).

I've looked at the Briley and Kolar websites. (Didn't try Purbaugh).

Any preference from you Skeet or tube shooters???

Thanks.....Regards....Gerald

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

I think Purbaugh has been gone for many years now besides with them you had to use a different ejector for each gauge. My personal preference are the Kolar tubes and service. Briley busted the beads off of a Winchester 101 Diamond grade barrel during the last time they did tubes for me and sent it back that way. Their reply when I called to complain "Send the barrels back (on my nickel) and they would fix it" My question was why didn't they fix it when they screwed it up. Last work they ever will do for me.

--- Chip King ---

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If you want to change chokes in the tubes easily, then get the Briley's. If you aren't going to change the choke, then get the Kolar's. They both work great!

ss

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Briley Companion tubes are a good choice if you are just adding one gauge. They will save you a few bucks, there's no need to send your gun to Briley/Kolar for fitting, and there is some resale value.

5. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

I have had both over 25+ years of registered skeet shooting.I'd give the nod to Briley based on repair service.

6. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

I've owned both...Briley's are superior. Also Briley has the better choke system.

7. gailmk67

gailmk67 Member

Briley hands down!!! I also have had both, Briley is much better to deal with during problems. Kolars was very difficult during a problem with a tube failure and a bit "wishy washy" about the carrier barrel damage caused by the failure. They replaced the center section of the tube but did not replace the chamber or the choke end. I was extremely disappointed with their work. I ended up having additional machining done to the tube to get it right. The shell manufacturer replaced the barrel after their investigation proved a factory shell problem. Just my opinion, take it for what it is worth.

Regards, Joe

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I needed work on a Kolar tube a few years back.

Called and said I'd appreciate a quick turnaround as it was in the middle of the shooting season. Sent it in on Monday, next day air. Had it back in my hands on Friday.

9. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

I love my Briley Ultimate Ultralites! Neil Swenson

10. emm2

emm2 Member

I own and shoot both. For skeet when not changing chokes I like the way my Kolar tubes pattern better than Briley but when shooting sporting clays and want multiple choke options I have Briley tubes with screw ins.

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I too Love my Briley Ultimate Ultalights as well!!! The strait rifleing in them gives better and more consistant patterns. Briley also gives you one extra choke per set and a better warranty overall for the same price. So now you know. Break-em all. Jeff

12. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

I've owned and shot them both but I prefer the Kolar's for skeet. Rags can be a little touchy to deal with at times but I've always gotten very rapid responses to requests for assistance. The big thing is their willingness to work with you to get your tubes and chokes the way you want --- I had trouble getting .410 chokes that satisfied me and after sneding 2 or 3 sets back Rags just send me 6 or 7 different pairs and told me to send back the ones I didn't like. They also did a carrier-barrel conversion for me and they hit the balance point on the nose the 1st time ... and I like it when I see Rags and he recognizes me and says Hi.

I haven't used Briley for anything for a couple of years as I got sideways with them a couple of years back right after they started to become a bigger operation --- they must have hired a couple of people who didn't know much about shotguns and even less about shooting skeet and/or trap. From what I've heard they've gotten over that and everyone tells me how much better they are.

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

IMHO and experience, straight rifling is a scam. Save the money and buy ammo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

purbaugh shotgun tubes

what do purbaugh shotgun tubes look like