1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

whos better shooter sportclays, trap or skeet

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i love to stur things up. who is usually a better all around shooter in all these events?

2. smsnyder

will a good sporting clay shooter beat a good 27 yarder in trap?

3. richrob

richrob TS Member

let the opinions fly

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

They had an Ifon man deal in Ohio a few years back, You had all summer to shoot it. ATA, Sporties, Skeet, ZZ, the whole 9 yards.

I think it was 800 targets total. Bet wayne Maes could have won it.

HM

5. Bernie

Bernie TS Member

Sporting shooters are by far the best all-around shotgunners out there. This was proven conclusively in a recent all-around competition in Texas that included trap 27 yard, trap doubles, skeet, skeet doubles, sporting, FITASC, flyers, intl trap, and helice. George Digweed whipped them all like stepchildren.

6. Singleshot

Singleshot Member

I think George Digweed just settled that one - positively, by a huge margin - in Dallas, for this year. Maybe next year the results will be different.

7. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I shoot both. Differant disciplines. Sporting requires a gun that shoots flat targets, even below your feet. Trap targets are always rising. A 100% or 90/10 gun will be problematic on sporting. Master class and AA shooters will often shoot a LM at 60 yard targets, AND RUN EM. Granted , they don't have to shoot 100 of them, but the next station may be a 40 yd crosser below their feet, or a 30 yd rabbit in a 20 ft window. Premier courses separate the men from the boys.
    Every course is differant. Not shooting the same target, or background, or even size. 5 size targets are used on the better courses. Digweed did it all in the world championships.

8. smsnyder

were is neil on this one? Neil let'S have some fun here. Have a few drinks first lol

9. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I agree with Tron... Sporting clays, so many different targets to shoot at.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Ah those pesky chandells.... but so much fun.

Jerbear

10. smsnyder

Jerbear, how can you miss from 5 feet away? lol

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

If they are so good why don't they attend the Grand, shoot the whole program and win most the money.

Simple, because they can't.

12. smsnyder

hot and heavy now.

13. JH

JH Well-Known Member

None of the above. Put all the sporting clays, skeet and trap shooters in a bunch and the World FITASC champion will VAPORIZE them with ease.....by the way, the guy who has won it the most: George Digweed....

14. Oldman1949

Oldman1949 Banned User Banned

"If they are so good why don't they attend the Grand, shoot the whole program and win most the money.

Simple, because they can't."

But then why didn't any trapshooters attend the championship shoot in Dallas and take most of the money ?

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I guess it would take a great deal of time and money to master all games. Hat's off to the old-time pigeon shooters, I bet they could hold their own in most games with modern guns and ammo.

16. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: whos better shooter?

Shooting at a variety of targets and week after week of unknown course setups, the sporting clays shooters and beyond that, FITASC shooters.

No instant pulls, no bad targets because of wind, no two hole targets, no targets through the hoop, no set height of machines and distance stakes, doubles from machines set in two different locations, report pairs from different machines, variety of target presentations, one station in the woods the next in a clearing, shooting at targets launched from 90 foot towers, shooting at 60 yard crossers....

There are soft courses, but for the big NSCA tourniments...

Now if we want to specialize, then I guess a 27 yard top ATA shooter is the best in what he or she does, as well as is the top NSCA .410 skeet shooter.

But, for who is the better shooter all round, the sporting clays shooter is.

17. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

I think some of you guys may want to re-word your replies. To simply say that Sporting Clays shooters are better shooters is incorrect. However I would agree that GOOD clays shooters (A Class and up) are better.

There's no question that Clays is harder than Trap physically, but perhaps not mentally? Breaking 16 yard Trap targets really isn't that difficult. But breaking a hundred of em' straight, well that's a different story. cls

18. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

Take a look at John Kruger. He could beat most trappers with his little pinky....pun intended. Sorry John. For those that don't know him he his missing fingers on his right hand so he pulls with his pinky and does it very well indeed. Or at least did in his prime.

19. ftlupton

ftlupton TS Member

A good ZZ or pigeon shooter is probably the top and they either are rich on their own or make plenty of money shootin what they love to shoot. Trap is a game of concentration and repetition, a skill in it's own right. My hats off to all the top shooters no matter what game.
    ftlupton

20. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I'm in total agreement that Sporting Clays is the most difficult of the three major disciplines. You vary rarely see a 100 straight in sporting.

Shannon391,

A sporting/skeet shooter did show up at the California State Shoot and schooled all the shooters in the singles championship (joins ata---wins state championship).

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.