1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who's behind the depletion of shooting supplies?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by marotta, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marotta

marotta Member

Who

OK, so powder trickles in from the manufaturers to the stores and is quickly grabbed up, primers follow suit, shells in all calibers have been diminishing off the store shelves. What gives?

Anyone know what the real scoop is?

Raff

2. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

Guilty...I have been buying everything I can get my hands on!

3. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

The scoop is the same reason for the oil prices, speculation. Who is to blame, probably most of us. We are most likey all guilty for buying more than we need, speculation. people are all worried about new guns laws and ammo laws that are all just speculation. Dave

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I don't know about the primers and all but I get calls almost every day from one of my suppliers with shotgun shells on sale and cheaper than I have seen in a couple of years. I had a call today with offering 3 1/4 x 1 1/4 shells at $48.00 a case. $54.00 a case for HB 3 3/4 x 1 1/4 with October payment. I also got five of the new Taurus single stack 9 MM's similiar to the Keltec and LCP shipped in today. They are quite a bit bigger than my Keltec 380 though. Light though. Jackie B.

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The belief is that the shortages are due to Obama being elected (panic buying)but I see primers and powder are showing up in some stores. 1 gun shop I visit once a week has around 10 AR-15 type rifles on the shelf. 3 months ago the shelf was empty.

6. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

We all should be to blame. Lets not pass the buck trying to blame it on somebody else.

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Obama is the biggest gun dealer and the biggest sales supply salesman. We don't know what the future will bring.

8. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Hoarding, plain and simple. Look at the threads, "I buy all I can". Had a guy in the shop the other day, after I sent him to a competitor for primers tell me, "a guy walked out with seven hundred and fifty dollars worth of primers (rifle and pistol). Look at these clowns offering primers on the auction sites at eighty or more bucks a thousand.

I try to have enough to get me through this year, then look for next year's supplies when these are low. If I do this, maybe one or two friends will be able to load their shells too.

We put up a button in the shop the other day, "NRA Names Obama Gun Salesman of the Year". I think it is true. Never before has stuff jumped off the shelves and most of the folks say it is because they're afraid of what he will do.

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

If you are not afraid of what he WILL DO then you have not been paying attention. Have you guys forgot already what our attorney general wanted to do? Wanted to disarm american citizens because of gun violence in Mexico!

Easy Eric! We will get them in time! Now is not the time! Sorry I bitch slapped you in the press but i had to do it man! " I am so sorry Nancy! I just got so excited!"

10. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

Like I said I have been buying all the primers, bullets and brass I can. I have a good supply of new ammo and components. If I can find more at good prices I buy them. I figure I will use them at some point. My biggest reason for all the buying was get it while you can find it right now. Also, prices sure keep going up. I remember paying $73 for 5k primers just 2 years ago, those same primers are now $123 per 5k and they will only sell 1k at a time right now. I have 18k 209 primers right now but that is only 2 years worth at best. I feel I and most people who shoot a lot need to be ahead of the game not only because of cost but also supply. All these people who did not look forward but waited to the last minute are now screwed or paying big prices.

Dave

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Prices are set by supply and demand, at least that is the historic dogma. Now demand is high and supply is low for reloading components. Prices are also very high. I think I will wait a while.

Pat Ireland

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Pat, I laud your sensibility. Unfortunately when you do buy it will be with 50 cent dollars, and you may have a little more pain than you think.

HM

13. oz

oz Active Member

I have not seen anything in the mainstream media about the FBI agent selling guns to the mexicans. Just a short clip here, I believe. oz

14. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

From Gun Broker

Poll Confirms Americans Fear Obama Gun Control Agenda
    BELLEVUE, WA – A new Rasmussen poll reveals that 57 percent of American citizens believe gun sales are up over the past several months because of widespread fears that the government will tighten restrictions on gun ownership.

"The poll results confirm what we've been saying," noted Alan Gottlieb, chairman of the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

"American citizens are fearful that the Obama administration and a Democrat-controlled Congress will pass new laws to further erode the individual right to own firearms. This concern was further enhanced by [the July 7] ruling in Minnesota that far left anti-gunner Al Franken should be seated as a U.S. Senator representing that state, giving Democrats a 60-member majority."

The Rasmussen telephone survey found that only 23 percent of the respondents believe gun sales have risen due to concerns about rising crime. Twenty-one percent are not sure. The poll also revealed that 63 percent of male Americans and 51 percent of women believe gun sales are linked to concerns about new gun control schemes. Another finding is that 65 percent of Republicans and 66 percent of those not affiliated with either major political party think booming gun sales are connected to fears about increased government restrictions.

"Americans realize that despite all of the campaign rhetoric, Barack Obama and Congressional Democrats led by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi are waiting for the right moment to spring new gun control measures," Gottlieb stated. "There is little doubt they would like to renew the ban on semiautomatic sport-utility rifles, place limits on the number of firearms someone may purchase, and maybe institute some kind of licensing and registration scheme, as Pelosi hinted during an appearance on ABC's Good Morning America.

"Wherever these measures have been tried on the local level, they have invariably failed to prevent or reduce violent crime. The Clinton gun ban failed. One-gun-a-month schemes have failed.

"How many times do you have to fail at something before you reach the inescapable conclusion that your plan isn't going to work?" he questioned. "The Rasmussen poll affirms that Americans are waking up to the Obama-Pelosi agenda, and they are stocking up for what they think is an inevitable attack on gun rights."

15. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Our supplier has advised that by early fall (Sept) the price of shot will rise by $7.00 per bag. So, the next order (August) prior to the increase, I'll buy an extra 40 bags.

I still have some old Star Shot that I paid $12.00 & $13.00 for. One of these days, I'll use it all, if not, I'll sell at current market pricing.

I'm good for the economy, I spend money buying things (just bought a 11-87 Premier Trap for my daughter). Been to alot of funerals and have never seen an armored truck in the procession.

We're all leaving this world the same way we came in....Naked and Poor!!

Curt

16. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

If you had the ability to stockpile a large quantity of fuel would you have done it when the price dipped after it's high last year?

17. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

Why is it that somebody has to blame everything on greed. How silly.

18. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Greed is what they blame for jealousy. The ones who can't afford to stock pile when prices are good are the same ones calling everyone else greedy.Same as always the have and have nots are calling names.

19. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Two (as in 2) types of "6P Principles":

a) Piss Poor Planning equals Piss Poor Performance

b) Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Most pilgrims practice the first listed.

Curt

20. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

So you are telling me that Remington, Winchester, and Federal are producing primers at 100 percent capacity and their product is all bought before it gets to the wholesaler? My primary wholesaler has not had 209 primers for 6 months. I don't buy the hording/greed idea if my wholesaler can't get something to sell. We need to ask lots of questions at the Grand. Every person that reloads needs to walk into Remington, Winchester, and Federal and ask the simple question..."why are you not producing enough primers for the consumer?" I will bet that after a few thousand people ask them they will start to get the idea.
    See ya at the Grand!
    CA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.