1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wholesale Travel Trailer

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by $$$SHTR, May 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Do any of you guys know how to buy a travel trailer for less than retail prices? There always seems to be a way to beat the retail prices on almost any item, you just have to know how to do it. I'm looking to buy a new travel trailer but retail prices on something I'll only use 5-8 times a year are crazy. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tomas

2. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

0   0   0

The secret is to buy gently used, not new. Especially on an RV or a boat. Why take the big hit on depreciation? They normally lost value much faster than a car or light truck. Lots and lots of people think they want to go RV'ing every year and most decide real quick that they don't go often enough to justify the payment and insurance on the rig. Lots and lots of clean newer units out there to be had. Lots of folks looking to get out from under that "easy monthly payment" they got snookered into at the dealership. However, if you do find out how to buy for wholesale, let me know!

Jeff

3. M-16

M-16 TS Member

0   0   0

The only problem I found with buying used with in a few years of new is that the people owed more for it then I bought new for. There are repo's out there

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

0   0   0

Do some homework and figure out what a good price is by checking them out on the internet ... The internet is a dealers worst enemy because you can find out or figure out close to what the dealers pay for them and then make an offer off of that ... Find a figure you are comfortable with and make an offer, if they take it fine if not walk away until you find one that will ... If you are a cash buyer you can usually cut a little better deal because then you don't have to qualify or have the dealer run you to find a bank to finance it ... If you finance most dealers put an add on the interest rate so they get a kick back from the lender which costs you even more money ... This works, Trust me on this one ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Etiquette

Etiquette Member

0   0   0

What are you looking to buy???

6. M-16

M-16 TS Member

0   0   0

WPT with kick backs most dealers don't give any favors for cash. Just because of no kick backs. They make more money from loans and extra insurance. When your dealing don't let them run your credit as it takes 5 points off[I believe] but don't tell them your not going to need a loan either once you agree on a final price then figure out how your going to pay and tell them

7. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

I've been looking at a new 2011 KZ Sportsman 16. I'm not interested in used. Just something for me to take to shoots. I usually go alone so I sure don't need anything larger. Looking on the internet, the MSRP is listed at $5,995, but the local dealer is asking $11,745. That's quite a mark-up. Local dealer says this is the rock bottom price. Also, here in wonderful Washington I'll have to pay almost 10% sales tax on the selling price. So, counting the sales tax, that's $6325 I'll be paying over the MSRP. For $6,000 I'm tempted to order one from the factory and pick it up on the way to the Grand.

Maybe smsnyder will have an idea for me.

Tomas

8. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Nick Bare,

Please let me know how you did it!!!

Tomas

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

0   0   0

M-16,

I think thats pretty much what I said, but with different words ... I had a dealer tell me zero percent interest when we bought my wifes car and I told him it was too late that I already wrote the check and didn't want to have to remember to make the payments ... lol ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

0   0   0

I know a guy who gets good deals. First, find one that's a year or two old. If it was taken in on trade, the dealer didn't give squat for it. He checks the whole thing out, takes the test drive, lays down in the bed, makes like he's cooking eggs in the kitchen, tells the dealer where he's going to put the TV. Then he decides that he doesn't like the color of the seat covers, or the cabinets, or the carpet, tells the dealer it would have been nice, and leaves, but not before 'dropping' a card in the trailer. In a few days, the dealer will call with a lower price. Guy I know holds out for the 3rd call, then really lowers the hammer ("but i just REALLY don't like the carpet.....$5000 off? might be able to overlook it).

Works for him......

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Go find another dealer $5750 over MSRP is nuts........

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

0   0   0

Wife and I found our "dream" trailer; one we thought we could never afford. It was highly discounted. It is a very high quality four season trailer, read expensive. The company had gone out of business, but is now reorganized and back in business. We were lucky. (Bigfoot brand, high quality, Canadian built..) Anyway, we were able to buy it for about 60 cents on the retail dollar asking price which is suggested by the factory. We did finance the trailer with a substancial down...the financing is a tax deduction which is always helpful since trailers are residences.

However, since you are buying a specific trailer, and trailers depreciate greatly, have you considered buying a known trailer, fiberglass, something that might not depreciate as steeply as a "stick tin trailer", consider maybe a Casita or Scamp trailer??? Known quantity, have been around for a long time, small and efficient, fiberglass, etc. To recap, depreciation won't be as bad etc..worth a look at their websites anyway. And they are purchased directly from the factory.

13. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

0   0   0

Go to RVdirect.com

No one can beat their prices (much cheaper than dealer} and they deliver to your door for about $600.

Only problem is if you need warretee work you have to go to Elkhart or Buffalo.

They have almost all brands, you can get an online price.

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

0   0   0

Your welcome.

15. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

shannon391,

Thanks for the info. However, before you pat yourself on the back too much, I did check RVdirect.com. Seeing how I live west of Seattle, WA and Buffalo is a loooong way from Seattle, they would not deliver for $600. More like $1.75 per mile. Do the math.

Thanks anyway,

Tomas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.