1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

whole house water filter ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 635 G, Sep 20, 2013.

1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I have a GE carbon whole house water filter. Its capacity is 30k gallons. We average 2500 gals/month. They say it should be changed every 3 months. Any plumbers out there who know the facts on this filter replacement. I feel I should be able to go at least 6months, based on my usage.

Phil Berkowitz

2. saltman

saltman TS Member

Phil, carbon being used to remove chlorine taste I assume? Filter manufacturers can label it for that many gallons however, you will likely see a pressure loss long before 30,000 gallons due to iron and or particulate in water supply, Mike

3. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Phil, not a licensed plumber, but i do quite a bit of remodeling and handyman stuff for friends, etcc... i believe its relative to the quality of water you have coming into your home. A 30k life expectancy on a filter may last 6 months if you dont have really hard water or substantial amounts of lime coming in. If you start noticing your water tasting different, or after showers your skin gets that dry feeling, etc.. that should be a clue its time to change it. 2500 gals a month? Glad im not paying your water bill. Mike

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Can you say 'marketing?' Of course they give you a shorter interval - they get to sell more filters that way...

You do not say if you are on a well or city water. The truth lies in WHAT is in your water - the purer it is the longer the filter will last. A really well run city supply might let the filter last a year or more. A hard, mineral laden well might max out in a few months.

You need to do some homework here - either contact your water company for a copy of the water analysis, or have your well water tested.

Further, the 'type' of filter matters - is it just carbon (a straight carbon filter will not have a great impact on 'hard' water)? What size particle does it claim to capture?

Why do you have a filer in the first place?? Is there some issue you are trying to rectify? If there is an 'issue' you might want a pre-filter or even a reverse osmosis unit for the drinking water you use in the kitchen...

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I use the filter and a scale blaster to protect my appliances from sediment & slightly hard water.

Phil Berkowitz

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I'd tell you to hit the 'hundred dollar store' (Home Depot) or a pool supply store and pick up some water hardness test strips - test the water every so often, when it starts to be harder than you'd like its probably time to change filters...