1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Whole-house generator

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Charkat1, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charkat1

Charkat1 Member

We live in a rural area in Eastern Tennessee and are thinking that a back-up whole-house generator probably wouldn't be a bad idea. We use propane for gas.

Do any of you have any suggestions or recommendations for us since we have never undertaken anything like this?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Charlene

2. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

Charlene,
    I am a dealer for Generac Power generators. Factory authorized sales and service, PM me with any questions you may have, Be catious of any you might get from the magazine sellers. Typically end of models, posible factory reconditioned units etc.
    Dave B

3. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Dave, what do you mean by "magazine sellers"?

4. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Do a search for generator. Plenty of threads about them.

5. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

I recently bought a unit even though I hate spending money on something that isn't fun.

I had a Honeywell 15kw generator installed;

http://www.shophoneywellgenerators.com/products/6033-honeywell-air-cooled-15kw-home-standby-generator.htm

This is made by Generac, spare parts are Generac.

I bought it through our local Generac dealer, who I had to the installation.

They were very courteous, did a great job, no damage, no mess. They started at 07:00 and were done 8 hours later.

I was around for the installation, unless you have industry experience, this is an "involved" job, two guys worked on this, pretty much non-stop, there wasn't any back tracking during the day.

A good dealer/installer should know their business, carry parts and have a call out number; I checked all this out before signing the order.

There are probably better units around, but some of the other brands are not sold and supported under 1 hour's drive from here.

This generator is quiet, it can be heard running but it is just background noise.

6. len loma

len loma TS Member

Been in generator business for 18yrs. I would only get a home standby with automatic transfer switch. Generac makes a quality unit to fit your needs. They sell more then all the competition combine so there must be a good reason. Make sure you have it installed properly and to code. Good luck, Len

7. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

more clay

Good points;

I didn't know enough to mention the switch, our installer put in a Generac automatic transfer switch.

Also, I forgot about the codes, our installer had all the right tickets (I checked independently to confirm), he was insured, made sure things were to code and had the inspections done. All these things are important to check before buying and unless your right up on this, they don't come with a DIY installation or from someone that "dabbles" in the business.

8. likemybrownings

By magazine sellers Northern tool etc. I have sold / serviced Generac for 11 yrs now, they are industry leaders, also consider the whole house transfer switch, it will offer the most versatility, but be sure it the unit is sized lrge enough to start your A/C unit. The installers that dabble often call us to correct an installation that is completed incorectly, be certian of ample fuel volume and pressure, static and running with other gas loads in house consuming fuel.
    Dave B

9. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I could be wrong but I don't think that Northern Tool does inallations, I think they just sell things. Too blame Northern for an improper installation would be like blaming Ford for a driver driving drunk. JMHO

10. tomc66

tomc66 Member

We put in a Generac 10KW this past spring. Go to Generac web site and do your homework. They will help you size a generator. There are also some great deals on Generac's on the web.

11. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Oh, I got it now, Northern also sells Generac generators so are a competitor to dealers. Now it all comes together.

12. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

last year......Generac fully auto with propane....purr's like a; ahh; a WILDCAT.
    [​IMG]

13. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I live in a house thats over 150 years old. ANY electric work done at this hous I have to have a proper person because of insurance do the work. NO FLY BY NIGHT or DO IT YOUR SELF job. If anything goes wrong the insurance will not pay off. Get my point?

At the house I have natural gas for the house. I would like to get a generator that will run off N.G and I will have endless amount of fuel. With N.G and Propane it will not gum up like gas or diesel.

Let us know what you come up with. Also get someone local to do the work becaue the magazine people will leave you high and dry if you have a problem. Local people will I hope take care of you faster.

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I would not buy a gasoline, or a Diesel fuel generator at all. I would look at a natural gas or Propane gas only. Get the one that can be piped to your home or you will have the extra expense of sinking a tank into the ground around your home. Next I would have a tranfer switch and have it set up to run for 10-15 minutes each week for testing. Lastly I would pour a concrete pad for the unit before the install. Remember where you live to keep the unit above a water problems like hurricanes around here or maybe several feet up because of snow around your neck of the woods. They can be mounted 3-6 ft. or more above ground. It would be pretty stupid to have a generator installed on the ground if I wanted to use it right after the hurricane (in 6 inchs of water), or a extreme blizzard (6 ft. of snow). Hope this helps you out. break em all Jeff

The reason I say No Gas Or No Diesel is because both fuels will spoil and go bad over time. Treating the fuels will only postpone the fuel from going bad and this will cost more over time than NG or Propane. These fuels can be stored for years and still be good when needed in a emergency. Remember you many need 7 days or more fuel supply on hand before you can get more, no matter what type of fuel you use. Good Luck and break em all Jeff

15. MilCon

MilCon Member

Propane vrs. natural gas vrs. gas vrs.diesel
    You need to check the price per hour to run at full load for each before you buy.
    Get professional help for the hookup.
    Minimum size depends on what you want to operate at the same time,if you want to run a hot water heater(4kw) and a heat pump at start up 5-7 kw + a refrig. (2kw).. it adds up fast if all start at the same time.
    Minimum size could be as large as 15kw. to allow the whole house to run with no serges.

Just a thought.

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Gasoline and diesel fuel both have a shelf life when stored in the generator. It also will gunk up the fuel system when sitting long term even with fuel stabilizers. Natural Gas and Propane do no suffer from either of these. This is not even mentioning the fact that you have to fill the gas and diesel tanks and monitor their levels during use.

My in-laws did the Natural Gas Generac system. It has the automatic transfer switch and kicks on when needed. Self tests monthly and no messy fuels to haul around and store. I don't think the fuel choice should be that difficult. Natural Gas or Propane is the only way to go.

17. likemybrownings

John Galt, I didn't state Northern tool installs, did I? They sell, I mentioned what they might sell? How many in house Generac trainings have you attended? What are your "actual" experiences with automatic standby generators besides lip flap? I will not respond to any more questions here!
    Anyone else feel free to PM me.
    Dave B.

18. Robb

Robb Member

Nobody mentioned Kohler. We just put in a 40kw. Runs everything.

19. shotgunner50

shotgunner50 Member

Charlene,

I sold generators for 34 years and my advice would see if you

have a local Generac dealer and if you do not go to your closest Lowes and they

will hook you up with a Generac unit and a local installer.

M Taylor

Shotgunner 50

20. arend003

arend003 Member

not to hi-jack this thread but does any one know of a cross reference list for oil filters for generac generators? Need to change the oil in mine.
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.