1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who would u thank 4 getting u in 2 trapshooting

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I was sitting back in my recliner thinking of the nice people I have met when I first got into trapshooting. Most of them are no longer with us today.

If there is a heaven, I hope it resembles Vandalia and we can meet our old friends and shoot with an endless supply of shells.

I would like to thank my brother in law Bill for introducing me to the sport of trapshooting. But there was an elderly man by the name of Sydney Jesse James who took me under his wing and taught me everything he knew about the game.

When I was young, saving up for a trap gun, he surprised me one Saturday morning and gave me a used 870 tb. There is not enough money in this world to buy that gun from me, as I promised him I would never sell it.

Thanks Syd.
    Who would you like to thank for getting you into this great sport of trapshooting?
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Guess it would have to be myself, not being indignant, I just wanted to

3. dhip

dhip Active Member

Fella by the name of Carlos.Drives a school bus for the same company as I do.Cool thing is he's half American(Indian) and was born and raised in W.V.(where I bought my cabin,not the same county though)He's won many trophies,and he did beat Leo once in a shoot off.No advice he's given me has been wrong,and I respect him a heck of a lot.Standing joke is,when I ever get our Log Cabin done in W.V.,,My wife says His wife and him are to come down.His favorite phrase after hearing we've been to the cabin is"You've been down to that God Forsaken Place again?"LOL,apparently growng up in W.V. back in his day wasn't a cake walk,being half Indian he's often said he had to fight all the time,no group excepted him or his brothers as equals.It's a shame,I knew his younger brother,have met the older brother,they are GOOD people.Will always be welcomed at my place.

Doug H.

4. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

The late Jim Gibbons of Edinburg ,Texas Who was a skeet,trap instructor at Laredo Air Force Base During WW 2, a great shooter in his on right , Skeet, Trap or Hand Thrown Pigeons I thanks him many times for the help he gave me.. Bob Roberts,Tx

5. Jeffrey

Jeffrey TS Member

My uncle, got me started in all aspects of shooting and hunting in general.
    Taught me how to reload shotgun and metallic.

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Thank? Probably the same person that got me started in Golf.

7. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

My step father Jim Cappello. I thank him every time I pick up a shotgun.By the way that was over 50 years ago.

8. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

My Dad and Uncle used to shoot a bit in leagues around the Buffalo NY area. When I was old enough to go with them they would "let" me load targets. Nice. I guess I got the bug early. When I was about 10 or so my dad cut down an old Mossburg pump gun for me to shoot. Well, a million or so shells and 50 years later I'm still shooting clay targets. Mostly trap, but I do stray to the forbidden zone of sporting clays and even the dreaded skeet range once in a while.

Thanks Dad! and Uncle Gene too.

Bob Schultz

9. zelmo96

zelmo96 Member

Thank, I should punch him out. I could have bought a Harley, Duck Boat and a new truck to haul them if I didn't start trapshooting, LOL. Pete Lester from Dver NH and I would not change a thing. I have met some great people and made some good friends over a lot of 94's and lost pairs. Thanks Pete. Al Baker

10. bud168

bud168 Member

My dad Jim Nelson (Who is no longer with us), looking forward to the day we can shoot together again!!

11. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

A classmate in college: Fred W. Verdi.

12. Montanaken

Montanaken Member

A fellow by the name of Truman Nelson, long-time shooter from South Dakota. He gave me a stevens single-shot 12 gauge for my 11th birthday with which I started shooting league the next summer. I have now registered ATA targets for 40 straight years (I did up-grade from the Stevens). Although we now live in different states, I still occasionally get to shoot with Truman - always a special time. Of course, Truman is my dad, and I owe it all to him.

13. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

My dear friend Mike, who loaned me his ASE90 and gave me a box of AA #8s.

The gun or the ammo wasn't any good, I only got 15 or something like that out of 25. :)

And I remember there was a genuine A-hole down the line who was mad at Mike because Mike was teaching me how to lead on my first round of trap. We both apologized while others were patting my back after the practice.

A year or so later, I beat that A-hole in a shoot-off. Took his money, and bought Mike two cases of AAs.

14. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Steve, my Dad borrowed a L.C.Smith SxS 20 gauge when i was 9 yrs old put in my hands and said " let's go dove hunting".Since that time (I am 69)i have been shooting a shotgun. .22 Rifle up until then but shotguns have ALWAYS been my Favorites and I hope from now on.My oldest Brother lived in the Country and on Sunday Afternoon Hand Thrown targets was the Game.Dad started it ALL.!!! Shot Skeet for a few years but Trap is my passion. Some of the best times i have had were when my MoM & DaD were watching.MoM & DaD are gone but, i REALLY enjoy My Wife (Vickie) watching me shoot EVEN if i shoot BAD.It is kinda nice when i talk about a target i missed and she says "The wind was Blowing NO one could have hit that Target". Pretty "Cool" Lady Huh. Joe Whitehurst joe90t

15. Dukefan

Dukefan K-80 Trap Special TS Supporters

I have to thank a knucklehead at work named Chris! Four months ago, we decided to go trap shooting for something to do. Now I am about 10K poorer (Guerini trap combo, reloader and supplies, several books and dvd's on trapshooting). On top of the expense, I now have this addiction! I have only been shooting for a few months, but I am hooked! If I don't shoot two or three times a week, I get withdrawls! Thanks Chris, you are some buddy!!! :) Oh, by the way, he would say the same thing about me!!

16. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I always read every response to my threads. Some of you had there father's to thank and sorry to say some are no longer with us. Hopefully they do watch us shoot, and I'm sure they have pulled a squad for us to shoot together with them some day.
    Steve

17. zoot

zoot Member

My son Jay, for years we would go to a local trap range on Sunday mourning for breakfast. Eat some great food and watch the trap shooters, one day Jay said we should try trap shooting sometime dad. That day we went to Gander Mountain bought 2 shot guns and the rest is history. Both my boys and i shoot alot, ATA, league, the Grand and at breakfast Sunday mourning. Thankx Jay love dad

18. juststartin'

juststartin' Member

My Dad Ray, the Late Michael Sulich, and Rick Marshall, Jr., mostly for being tolerant of the 1,000 of questions he's fielded over the past 13 years...

19. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

My Dad, Darn him any way. Started with a side by side .410 and hand thrown targets. Funny this tread came up tonight, I just put my very first trophy from all those years ago on the shelf.

20. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

A fine lady, and a heck of a shooter.....Ginger Bass Wolford....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

plainsman sports lethbridge