1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who would be For/Against Rules for posting ads??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by CalvinMD, Jul 26, 2013.

1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Since the recent upswing in fraudulent For Sale Ads as well as responses to Wanted Ads...Would anyone like to see rules or criteria to meet before folks are allowed to post...like say nobody allowed to post before say 100 posts? Or us maintaining a table of good/bad deals or ratings for sign-ons/contact info/address to be able to use as a reference??...Just seems a lot of people getting scammed over and over by the same scammers because they lay idle in waiting for things to cool down then re-pouncing upon unsuspecting victims...just hate seeing the good folks around here getting stung by low-life outsiders...Everybody??your input???

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I usually ask for ATA, NSSA, or NSCA member information and go from there. Not a member of any of the stated and usually I pass unless someone I know will vouch for them!

3. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

Joe has a good idea.You have to do something.As an ex cop I hate to see people get burned like that.Tom

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have always felt that new members or non posters should not be allowed to sell and I totally agree with a rating sytem

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I won't buy from anyone unless they are a long proven member of the forum. The folks who have been here awhile have too much invested in their reputation to screw someone. I've had nothing but good transactions using this method. So, at least in my eyes, a person needs to prove themselves over time. Unfortunately, this eliminates alot of potential good deals.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I agree with that logic. I enjoy seeing the ads posted here as you never know what you might find for sale but I steer clear of ads posted by names I don't recognize.

Ed

7. 548

548 Guest

Against.

If it isn't election season, the for sale section of this site is my favorite section. Buyer should always be cautious.

8. Dukefan

Dukefan K-80 Trap Special TS Supporters

As a fairly new member (just shy of one year) I do not agree with a minimum number of posts. I only have 30+ posts to date and I have used the for sale section successfully. I enjoy reading all the threads but don't find it necessary to comment often. If there is a minimum number of posts required, then people would just comment on everything and litter up the threads with unnecessary dribble. I do like the idea of a sellers/buyers feedback section. Another shooting forum I frequent has that. That can be helpful. YMMV Dominick

9. Avatar

I agree with Dukefan. Good con artists are willing to invest a little time in setting up the con. All those proposals would do is discourage bona fide new members. The problem with the present system is that the seller initiates the transaction but the risk is placed on the buyer--perfect for cons. One solution would be for TS to endorse an escrow service and make it available for transactions.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The best solution would be if the buyer would post back in the ad that they had a good transaction. This would serve as a positive guide for others. A search for the sellers user name would bring up sales that could be checked.

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

That's why one of my suggestions was maintaining a feedback/rating database..letting all potential deals come through but a reference record of good sellers and buyers....bad too...to help folks do business in confidence,..for the most part us old members mostly know who the good guys are

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The email publishing for all the world to see is asking for trouble, as David states. That direct link is the least secure as far as a deal goes, even with ebay and other "for sale" sites. Also, it is always a good idea to ask for a phone number when dealing over the internet. If they refuse to talk to you directly, they usually are not worth dealing with in my opinion. Especially when you are talking about deals in the hundreds, or even thousands of dollars.

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

For sale ads should post a price. too many people are fishing for suckers here.

HM

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    That's why email addresses should not be posted here in the clear.

First, for those selling items, as David says, there is no IP address visible unless they PM.

Second, email address harvesting software automatically goes through websites to grab emails addresses for spamming or malware purposes.