1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who, Where, when, got you into the shooting sports

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I thought this might be a fun thread and find out who do you credit for getting you into the shooting sports, what year did this happen, and where did you first shoot? Depending on how much money you have spent since they got you into this sport, you may want to thank them, or not?

My brother in law Bill in 1970 asked me if I wanted to go trapshooting? I had no idea what trapshooting was at that time. He took his wife, and me and mine, to a rock quary, and a cop heard us shoot and we almost all got arrested. The very next day I went to Kohl's dept. store and purchased a field grade Winchester 1200 and my wife a sears single shot for $39.00.

Over the years, I have thanked my brother in law numerous times as the shooting sports has benefited me more than I could ever pay the sport back. Most of my friends are shooters, and I can not tell you the number of great times I have had.
    Steve

2. copper

copper Member

My ex brother in Law eastern LI The Hamptons before was that 28GA double barrel off bay beach and then a few sand pits IN 70,S joined Southampton Trap they rented range from collage . I was mainly a bird hunter and we had lots in the day quail, pheasants , woodcock, ducks, rabbits thick on beach dunes when all the other seasons closed. Shot trap off and on for years and little skeet moving to WV got me more into trap than ever.now I live across border PA shoot most Sundays

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

Boy Scouts in 1956. We shot 22 rifles in the basement range of the Fishburne Military School. I beat all the rest of the scouts and I was hooked forever. I kept those targets taped to my bedroom door until I grew up and got married.

--- Chip King ---

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

A guy I knew in 1975 was going to shoot trap one day, and asked me if I'd like to go along. Sure, I said. I was addicted from the first shot. The smell of gun powder in the morning is like snorting that white stuff....LOL

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My sisters boyfriend took me down to the shore of the allegheny river with his Remington 22 pump. We went down to shoot river rats. I was 11 years old and it was the first time i shot a real gun. Bulge.

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I was raised on a farm, and shooting was like religion, we shot all the time

I bought a MEC 600 jr reloader and every night I was in the basement reloading shells to sell to my relatives and friends (Paid for the beer I was drinking)

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I was raised around guns and hunting. I can remember very early on as a kid playing Retriever for my dad. He would shoot the doves and i'd run out and grab them. As soon as i was old enough to shoulder a Remington 870 i was allowed to start hunting and my younger brother got the dog job.

...........................................................................................

My favorite story with my dad:

When i was in early grade school my dad had (2) Beagles that were supposed to be good hunt'n dogs. He had traded a black powder pistol to a guy he worked with for the (2) supposedly trained rabbit hunting pups. I'll never forget pulling up in dads '67 4dr Pontiac LeMans out in the country and letting the pups out. We took off walking and sure enough the pups got on a trail and ran a rabbit out of the brush. My dad fired his 870 and the pups took out of there like their tails were on fire. We yelled and searched for those pups for several hours. When we finally went back to the car, there they were hiding under it shaking like two scared kids during a thunderstorm. They were the most gun shy dogs i ever saw. Dad tried for sometime after that to break them to no avail. I don't recall them ever hunting again. :)

8. tarhawk

tarhawk TS Member

My father, a WWII Army vet, was one heck of a rifle shooter. When I was a little boy he taught me the basics of shooting (Military style) and safety. At five I had a BB gun, at six I was shooting .22's and at seven he had me shooting a 30-06. He trained me well enough that I could put groups into a pie plate at 100 yds from the prone position. When we were done shooting rifles we would go to the Trap/Skeet range at the club he belonged to because they had a clubhouse and we could get a cold soft drink there. I would watch the people shooting the flying targets and say "Gee Dad, that sure looks like fun!!"

A little while later, Dad bought a used 1100 from a friend and took me to the Skeet/Trap range and the rest, as they say, is history. Shot my first round of Trap at age eight. Up until the day he died, I could never out shoot my Dad with a rifle, but I could with a shotgun.

9. avery53

avery53 Member

Dad a WWII vet was an avid shotgunner, I can't remember not shooting. BB gun, 22, 410, etc. Even spent a couple years shooting 155 MM for Uncle Sam. lol

avery

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Myself, home, 1960. Had to get a relative to buy the Ruger Bearcat I wanted.

11. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Went to a boy scout camp the summer of 1960. Shot Remington 572 smooth bore pumps at miniature clay targets"MO-SKEET-O'. Been a trap shooter ever since and still shoot MO-SKEET-O from time to time.

12. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

My father corrupted me when I was around eight years old, 1960. After hunting geese on the Todd farm (federal land) if it was a saturday or Sunday we would go to the Bloomingdale trap club and shoot trap. I still have the Model twelve that I grew up with. The club is still going strong and is still fun to shoot at.

CM

13. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I began quail hunting with my dad in south central Missouri when I was 8 years old.(1956) Some local guys opened a trap range there in the early sixties and we began doing some shooting out there.

14. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

When I Was 9 ( Dang That Was 60 Years Ago)My dad Put A 20 ga.Lafever SxS in My hands And took me Dove Hunting. Shot A few Clay Targets At Family get-togethers For Years Then All types Of Clay Target Sports Since The 60's. Joe W.

15. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

When you ask who got us into the "shooting sports", I'll have to qualify my answer. I began shooting a rifle and shotgun at a very early age (approx 9 years old). I began hunting at about 10 years old with my older brother.

However, I don't really consider that as "shooting sports" since hunting is primarily watching, walking, and waiting with very little "shooting" actually involved.

I also shot on an Army rifle and pistol team when I was about 21 years old. However, my clay target shooting didn't begin until many years later when I was about 50 years old. I got myself into clay target shooting because hunting just didn't have enough shooting involved to suit me. I made a couple of phone calls to find out where the nearest trap and skeet range was and simply went there and introduced myself. A friendly shooter let me shoot a couple rounds of skeet with his gun. I bought my own O/U target gun a couple days later. Been shooting ever since.

Easystreet

16. djldb6

djldb6 Member

I have been lucky enough to have a string of great teachers in my life that have impacted me beyond their chosen areas. Shotgunning is no exception.

As part of my job I have to go to CME conferences and they are usually at snotty high end resorts. I went to a couple over the years that had offered some SC or Trap shooting extracurriculars. I had no previous experience with guns but during my down time I would go get an instructor and do some casual shooting. Eventually I bought my own shotgun not knowing what specifically I was going to do with it, just wanted one.

Being a rote oriented learner, I signed up for an intro to shotgunning/trap series at a local gun club and George Wolf was my instructor. His enthusiam, love for and mastery of the sport, in combination with his inclusive attitude indelibly and forever ignited my love for shotgunning.

I have only been shooting regularly for 3 years now, but the reason I became a regular, and joined the club where I took the class (St Charles Sportsman Club in IL) is because of George....one of the great teachers I have had the honor and luck to cross paths with.

Dan Levinthal

17. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

grntitan:
    I also had a dog that once she heard the sound of a gun being fired I'd find her huddled under the car shaking. All I had to do was ask her if she wanted to go out to the gun club with me and she would put her tail between her legs and start shaking.
    Steve

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Like many a country boy started hunting and shooting early, shot Jr. NRA competition in high school. Loved competition, play organized softball until my mid 40's. Son came home one at age 14 and wanted to go to a trap range that I didn't know exsisted. That was it - hooked. Bought 870 for me a Browning BPS for son. Son was a natual and I had to work at it. Great years traveling to shoots with my son. Included registered skeet and sporting but trap is the only true shooting sport. Have had many guns since that 870 always looking for the edge. Now 20+ years and 300,000+ targets and I don't know how much money.

It's been one hellava ride and one that I don't regret. This sport is full of Great people and I have friends all over this country at clubs large and small.

Don

19. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Get This!!! I started Trapshooting when I took it as a Phys. Ed. Class in College!!!! Can you believe that in this day and age??....of course that was back in the early "70's but still.........trapshooting as a class...in a school!!!..Well....the rest is history!!!!!............Uncle Sam, Pa.

20. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

At the age of 14 I tried out for my high school rifle team. At 17, I was the Junior National Smallbore Champion and won a scholarship to collegs. I then took up bird hunting on my own since I did not know anyone who did that. After I got married, I was invited to go Trap shooting one evening with some fellows I met in the neighborhood. I got hooked on shotgunning and now shoot trap whenever I can and bird hunt at every opportunity. I have been at it for almost 60 years.

Shooting is a slippery slope indeed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.