1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who watches private gun clubs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by copper, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. copper

copper Member

Who watch dogs gun clubs we were talking about some clubs and the money and suspected raping of funds . If you suspect criminal who would you report to some times the people in charge would be the wrong doers . Who other than membership would you report suspected theft of funds to . . Are private clubs under any legal guide lines audits other than self imposed . Maybe IRS would be who you would report to YA I know everyone hates them

2. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

uhhh the police/county detective but it really depends upon the amount in question, a couple of thousand not likely 8 10K maybe

3. oz

oz Active Member

Theft? you can't get the police to do anything about the drunk drivers. (with guns) oz

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Gun club treasuries are best policed by the members. ATTEND THE MEETINGS!

Ed

5. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

As a member, you usually have the right to inspect the books upon demand. Make the demand. If you have proof or testimony of embezzlement, take those books and the testimony to the County Prosecutor.

If it's a private business that sells admission discounts under the label of "memberships," then you can only see their books if you're a shareholder.

6. TjayE

TjayE Member

DO NOT get the IRS involved in your private gun club. With the IRS involved, you will have to report to them ALL financial transactions.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Our bylaws mandate a yearly audit of the books.

Since we are a 501C non profit, we get Federal bean counters snooping around once in a while too. Last time they made us give W2's to the President and Treasurer for the pittance they get.

The yearly audit is usually done by a member not on the board with sufficient qualifications to do so. there are several bean counters of one sort or another in our midst.

HM

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

It's not hard to keep track of very small checking accounts.

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

A serious allegation against any club or the people that run it!

Be prepaired to be sued if you mention names and have no proof. I'd have you in court in a second if you accused me without proof. At the minimum I would push to have you banned from the club (most clubs have a clause in the bylaws on banning members). Sounds hard, you bet...

First off....

Member run club.

Do you have PROOF of any wrong doing or just suspect?

Do you attend meetings?

Do you attend meetings and question the treasury report?

Have you asked to see the treasury report?

What monies are suspected of being stolen? From the kitchen, targets, shoots, range funds, repairs, and so on? Does the Treasure have appropriate receipts or not? Money in, money out. You did ask, yes...

Have you raised your concerns with an officer of the club on accountablity of funds?

You see where I'm going with this. If your sitting on the outside and just throwing stones, very hard to prove your case!

--------

Private club.

Between the owner and whom you suspect is ripping off the club. Contact the owner.

--------

Another reason for officers and directors to be insured (club purchased insurance policy), as you never know when you will have to be defended by a lawer.

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Even a 501(c)7 has to file a tax return... who's doing the return?!

Jay

11. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

If a knowledgeable shooter, one who is also an accountant, designed a standard financial report for gun clubs I think there would be good interest.

Most people who actually run gun clubs are interested in the shooting activity and turn finances over to anybody who will make the bank run.

Over the years there have been stories and suspicions of shenanigans. Never heard of anybody going to the hoosegow.

12. copper

copper Member

Was just wondering would seem that any member could ask for a financial statement or to see books . Would be easy with computer now a days maybe yearly statements would be sent out to membership end of year statement I was in a conversation about a club that refused to show books to a member Was not me I was shocked . I wondered what steps he might have take was all. I don,t think asking to see books is and allegation I would think not wanting to give a member access would be illegal . The best way to keep people honest is to always have total disclosure I am asking a question and makeing a Point nothing more or less .Not stirring any POT

13. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

As a treasurer of a private gun club, at the board of director's meeting, I present them with the actual bank statments which include ALL CHECKS, ALL DEPOSITS, RECEIPTS, and any other necessary documents. At times we even count the number of targets thrown for the month. So on a monthly basis the board members and club members can see the acutal income and expenses of running essentially a small business. It is easy for some one to make accusations with no proof. We also have board of directors insurance... so far we have never had to use it. Fred

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Each time our club is open there are 2 reports. One for Food/apparel/bar receipts and one for shooting. Every round of skeet and trap, plus shell income is reported.

At the monthly board meeting there is a financial report on paper and a shooting report given verbally summing up the month.

Members are allowed to attend board meetings, but can not vote on issues.

Even with all the checks and balances we have, there has been the occasional incident over the years but all in all I think we have a darn good operating system.

HM

15. copper

copper Member

Sounds correct to me the way it should be . HM and Fred your clubs are run as I would think all clubs should be that full discloser on a regular basis as to my asking about it was in refernce to a conversation as I say about a particular club and what transpired when a club member asked to see books there were other issues also just wondering what was percieved NORM .

16. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

At our club the is a treaurers report givin at our monthly meetings. Total disclosure.

17. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Trust me, if there's cash involved, someone is stealing it.

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

As ysr racer would further say, if they're not stealing it now they will soon!!

19. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE; stealing

With comments like that why even bother to help run a club?

I ran a number of shoots at my club and also took part in many projects. Also, opened and closed the club through the years. Never a dime stolen.

Likey the same for most that help at the local club.

There lucky I did not turn in my gas receipts, as it cost a few bucks to travel back and forth when involved with running a club.

20. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Let me rephrase it: Trust me, if there's cash involved, someone is stealing it.

Oh, it's the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.