1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who was George C. Snyder ?? Black Diamond Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by omahasportingsupply, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I talked with a person who had a Black Diamond Trap built for George C. Snyder who shot trap a number of years ago. I am going to stop by and look at this gun on the way home from a gun show and thought I would try to learn more about this shooter. I must be looking in the wrong places since Google didn't find him. I heard his wife also shot some trap but haven't confirmed it. The gun has his name stamped on it. I will be at a gun show for part of the weekend so I may not be able to get back to you right away. Thanks for any info you can share. Omaha

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I knew a George C. Snyder from PA. As I recall, he had a lot of very nice guns. He wasn't a great shooter, just a really nice guy. Passed away at least 15/20 years ago. I bought a couple Remington "32"s from him a long time ago.

Ed Yanchok

3. omahasportingsupply

I have to quit posting late in the evening or morning. His name was Victor C. Snyder and the gun was a model 12 Black Diamond Trap with a duckbill. It was a 3O" full choke barrel. The serial number is 271XXX Trap. Thanks Ed. Now, anybody know Victor?

4. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Victor C. Snyder, Cleveland, Ohio, was a high average and high volume shooter through the twenties. In 1920, about the time the gun was made, his wife was also shooting competitive birds. In 1928, Victor averaged 95.45 on 2200 16 yard birds, a very good average for the day.

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

He even shot better in 1929 with a 96.28 average on 2,475 targets.

6. eightbore

Toolmaker, with averages like that, Victor has probably shown up in some winner's circles over the years. I wonder if he was a one gun shooter?

7. tbowman

tbowman TS Member

Unloader George Snider still has both arms one hand dosen't work as well as the other. Had lunch with him today still ornery as ever. Shoot well. Tim

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Eightbore, Look at your 1928 average book for high guns in the 4,000 and over division. E.F. Woodward from Texas had a 99.03 average on 5,000 targets. Do you think he would have hit more targets if he had a K80 etc. with a backbored barrel and forcing cones done? How about modern WW or STS shells shooting over a voice release?

9. omahasportingsupply

Where do I read more about this guy? He sounds interesting but I don't have a 1929 average book near my night stand. The gun looked solid. Thanks for the information. Omaha

10. eightbore

Toolmaker, I'm not a big believer in the old wives tale about better guns and ammo. I shoot all old guns and started with paper shells and felt wads and don't ever remember missing a bird that I would have hit with better equipment. I have shot hundreds of patterns with obsolete equipment and have never seen a "mystery pattern" that would have caused a miss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.