1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

who wants to drive a compact?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by BILL GRILL, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

So exactly how many of you guys and gals want to drive one of Obamy's save the planet cars?

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

When everyone drives a smaller car. I'm OK with it.. In Italy it does not pose a problem.. and somewhere down the road.. I'm sure it it better for our country..and the world.. Problem is..in New Orleans.. there are still a ton of 1985 Buicks and Caddilac's running around...mostly driven by people who should not be allowed to drive.. When they hit you.. if you're not driving something a decent size.. You're dead... I still drive my 1990 E-350 Ford Van..Will probably drive it a few more years.. If I buy another vehicle in the future.. it will probably be a mini-van..

Gas will return to $4.00 per gallon or more.. and for those who drive alot..the savings will more than pay for the car.. I drive about 5000 miles per year.. maybe.. For me.. 1400 of those miles will be Sparta,Ill.. I've put my gas money aside and hope to see you all there..

If I still hauled furniture..I'd again get a large van.. but.. over the years I'm down to a few guns,(now handguns).. a few boxes of shells..(can't buy primers)..and a few friends..(don't have many of those as I'm a grumpy old bas--d).. Why would I need a large van anymore???

On a brighter note.. I wish they would relook at a project I did at Georgia Tech years ago.. Our "city" drivetrain would be totally electric.. and only when we took a long trip would that be changed to gas.. The entire drivetrain could be "rented"..and plugged in to replace the electric drivetrain..

20 years from now.. I think all will look different.. I don't do change well.. All Good.. Mike

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I'd love to have one but I cannot fit in one and don't see that changing anytime in the future ... I'm 6'5 and 325# and don't fit behind the wheel of them little shit boxes ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. Bubba

Bubba Member

Sheeple will drive whatever the government want them to drive.

5. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Probably Trappy, the little pinko.

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

The wife,(war dept) has already let it be known that she will give up her Town Car when they pry her cold dead hands off the steering whell.

7. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Kind of hard to get 3 car seats in the back of one of those tin cans,,,,guess we'll have to promote less children,,,,oh yeah, hussein loves abortion,,,,but if we have less kids to fit into the smaller cars,,,,WHO will pay into SS for the seniors,,,,well if you want more than 1.5 children,,,,then you will need to take TWO cars to go on vacation, to work/daycare, to grandparents house, etc.,,,,where is the savings then?????

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

If this trend keeps up there wont be any full sized cars made in the USofA. We will have to buy them from the Euros or the Asians.

9. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Small car...sooooo like a Lotus right? :-D
    Small cars...uh-uh...Diesel is the way to go!
    -Trappy

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Christ! I wouldn't want to be in a Lotus even in the smallest of collisions. Pure junky little plastic car. Nothing wrong with diesel though. Invented by a true industrialist who recognized a true need for an alternative to gas engines. Revolutionized the automotive industry allowing for safer and more economical ways for industry to make more profits around the world.

11. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Trappy, Ford and Chrysler are marketing diesel cars in Europe but can't sell them here? Oh ya they get better than 50 mpg.
    Doggai, A camry is far from a compact.

12. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Bill, it may not be a "compact", but I would NOT want to take a day trip with 4-5 adults,,,,would you?

13. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

I'm 6'7". Nothing buy pick-ups for me.

14. letts

letts TS Member

Our Buick Park Ave produced 30.8 MPG last week while driving the freeway through IL. I do not see the need for a tin can that will only improve that by 5 mpg.

I do not know how young parents with 2 or more kids can use a compact car unless we recind the car seat requirement. We also may need to alow the kids to ride in the pick up box as well.

And what about the dog?

Lettes

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I want that Camry that averages 43 MPG.

-Gary

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Now that GM means Government Motors, we will have cars made out of metallic pastry so they can meet the new mileage standards.

The lack of financial viability of this car manufacturer will be well hidden by government BS.

East Germany had the Trabant(a riding mower with a cab) and we will have the Americar.

Blecccchhhhhhhhh.

HM

17. shrek

shrek Active Member

my 6' 7" 275+ pound midwest farm boy carcass doesn't fit in a lot of vehicles.... let a lone a compact one.

18. GW22

GW22 Active Member

FYI, here are Toyota's fuel economy ratings for the magical 43mpg 2009 Camry...

2009 Toyota Camry Fuel Economy:

Fuel Type Regular

MPG (city) 21

MPG (highway) 31

Even the hybrid version only gets 34 on the highway.

-Gary

19. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

If Obama and the liberal Congress is so interested in putting us into smaller and smaller cars via the CAFE standards they should pass a law that the Federal and state governments are not to purchase ANY cars that do not meet the CAFE standard for the year of purchase. We would see how committed they are to those standards then.

20. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

I understand the arguments but consider this reality:

Every time you pump gas, you write a check to Osama bin Laden via middle east oil that we need to buy hand over fist. And don't tell me for a second that the Saudi and other governments that hate America don't have islamist sympathizers that fund terrorism.

Osama bin Laden (and other assorted terrorists) loves you driving your gas guzzlers, plain and simple.

You can debate the environmental aspects all day but it is undeniable that America needs energy security if we want to simply maintain our quality of life. This argument has been largely ignored recently due to a slightly more stable middle east, but give that pot time. Little will change; they've been fighting there roughly 1200 years. Now imagine a nuclear Iran with Obammy doing all his "talking."

So what's the solution? IMHO, electricity or natural gas, likely a combination of both with help from diesel. The batteries needed need some more development but they are getting close. Either source can be 100% American made, American distributed and the infrastructure is already in place. Imagine never going to a gas station with either an electric car or by using a natural gas refueler in your garage, or both. Small, diesel engines make outstanding generators for the electric primary/hybrid crowd. I have no doubt the technology will be scaled up to please the SUV crowd. Even a large truck can run on CNG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.