1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

who uses 1oz of lead for 27yrd caps

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gspointer, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gspointer

gspointer TS Member

Just wondering if anybody consistantly use 1 oz loads with success from the 27?

2. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

I do not shoot registered target, but instead i shoot nothing but Buddy/protections and they are all shot at the 27 yard line. I use 19.6 grains of solo 1000, DR XL-1 wad(the lime green one), Fiocchi primer, with 1 oz of 7's, all packed in a top gun hull. this shell will break targets from the time it comes out of the house to the time it hits the ground. I have even broke targets with this shell in long range shoot-offs. I have broke severel targets at between 45 and 65 yards with this shell. hope this helps. BYG

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

1oz plus a 1/8oz makes a great load.

Don

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

To answer your question: No one that has any intentions of winning.

Curt

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I shoot 1/2 ounce of copper plated 6s mixed with a 1/2 ounce of 7 1/2s. The 6s make up the front end of the shot string and the 7 1/2s draft in behind them. This load has been very successful breaking targets and comfortable to shoot. HMB

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

When I shot from 25 yards in cold weather I used 9's, 4's and 5's. Seriously, why do you think there is a rule that you can't use more than 1 1/8 oz of shot? If any of you that want to shoot in tournaments, calcutas, and still want to use 1oz, or let me suggest 7/8oz loads be my guest. In fact I recommend that you do so.
    Steve Balistreri

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Hey! I just loaded some up fo rsingles.

8. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Daro Handy used 1oz. loads from Federal. I don't know if he stil does or not but he shot some pretty good 27 yd. scores if memory serves. I don't know what he used when he ran the 505 straight from 27 but I would be interested to know. Also why does everyone think you have to use 1 1/8 oz loads from 27. If you have ever shot bunker you would know you can break anything with a lot less shot and recoil.

Brownk80

9. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

"Also why does everyone think you have to use 1 1/8 oz loads from 27. If you have ever shot bunker you would know you can break anything with a lot less shot and recoil."

I use 1 1/8 oz. for everything, except the first shot of doubles. My gun/ammo has no felt recoil. Now why would I choose to use 1/8 oz. less of shot?

10. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

"No felt recoil", WOW, I would like to have a set up like that........defies the laws of physics.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Not if you have a PFS. HMB

12. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I didn't say it had no recoil, I said I felt no recoil.

13. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

I once won a preliminary handicap event at the Nebraska state shoot with 1 oz reloads from the 27. At the time my auto would not eject plastic hulls but would eject paper hulls. Clubhouse was out of Federal papers. I had some 1 oz #8 shot paper reloads (for 1st shot in doubles) in the trunk and shot them not intending to break a good score, but only to make it through the event without disturbing the rest of my squad. Surprise, surprise, surprise. But wouldn't recommend it for registered 27 yard hdcp.

milt

14. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Heard a guy who shoots games say Heck I use two scooped of 6 shot and a scoop and a half of red dot powder. Had to laugh.

15. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

gspointer Just curious but why are you asking this question?

Bob Lawless

16. gspointer

gspointer TS Member

Bob, the reason I ask this is that an older friend of mine says he loads 1 ounce loads and thats all he shoots. He seems to get along ok from 27yrds. I thought i might try it so i didn't have to change recipe's between singles and caps. I realize its not a big deal but i thought id get some feedback from other expierenced shooters here.

Thanks for the replies

17. ivanhoe

gsp well I find it is a matter of personal preference. If it works for you and you have no feeling that the guy with 1-1/8 ounce loads is taking unfair advantage. Go for it however if you use these loads and down the road you feel that everyone using the larger payload has an advantage.

Please remember it was your decision in the first place. Many times we see shooter that are in here preaching the virtues of the one ounce load and trying to get the ATA to make them the max load. This becomes a pita as they made the decision to begin with and now they seem to feel they can't compete.

Bob Lawless

18. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

1 oz. of 8s has as many pellets as 1 1/8 of 7.5s. If a target is hit in the center of the pattern, no reason it will not break with either 8s or 7.5s...even at 27 yds. FITASC shooters use 1 oz. of 7.5s and break targets at much longer distances than 27yd line. All that said, you are free to shoot any legal load you like. Regards, Ed

19. ivanhoe

OldGoat

"1 oz. of 8s has as many pellets as 1 1/8 of 7.5s. If a target is hit in the center of the pattern, no reason it will not break with either 8s or 7.5s

Well if that is true 7/8 oz 9 has as many pellets as 1 oz of 8 and the same would hold true if the target is hit in the center of that pattern so why not that load. It even has less recoil than the 1 oz load.

I just don't understand what you are say what is the point you are making???

Bob Lawless

20. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Phil Kiner uses the term "center-punch" the target, meaning that you get the target into the center core of pellets. and so may pellets hit the target that it pretty much disentigrates. But the energy of 1 7.5 pellet is considerably greater than one 8 pellet and the 7.5 has a better chance of popping off a piece of the trarget if yo do not "center-punch" the target. I'v shot 1 ounce from the 16 pretty good, and occasionally will use that on a practice hcp. Tha said, I am a fan of the lessended recoil of the 1-1/16 ounce shells I make on my PW. The "perceived recoil" is less for me and importnat because I shoot a light gun.

So, no... not by choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.