1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who upgrades a Perazzi Top lever???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Trap2, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Mike......Check your private messages.......Dan

2. chessney

chessney TS Member

Why does everything have to be sooo private..Ziggy

3. vdt

vdt Active Member

yea

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

PBB, Your asking us??? Reminds me of someone asking GOD a question and GOD answers "I'll ask around"...

Just doesn't instill confidence, does it...lol

Jim Chapman
    Michigan

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

You can fit a type 4 top lever to a type 3 gun. I know because I have had it done twice. Thats the best way to resolve the problem. I am not sure if you can do the same to an older type 1 or 2. I have a type 1 and its almost new as it sat in some guys safe for nearly 40 years. I do plan on shooting it sparingly but know that if the lever breaks I am in trouble.

TB

6. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

On my TMS it has the narrow shaft and the later model TM 1 has a larger diameter. I bought an extra one in case I ever needed one. The little tip that workes the locking block had broke off.

When mine broke a gunsmith soldered it and it broke next time out. Took it back and said he should of welded it but now it was contaminater with the solder and would have to replace it. I said OK. Went to pick it up and person at counter said the gunsmith went ahead and cleaned it up and welded it. They had called to order one but line was busy so they just repaired it again. I said I wanted a new one. Said they would call when part came in. That was several years back. I guess they forgot.

That is when I bought the extra one but so far have not needed it. Ray

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Mike,

The Perazzis with the top lever trip pin and plunger, located in the top lever, tend to have the problem of the hole in the receiver, getting washed out on the right hand side. As we all know, the Perazzi receivers are a little soft.

When Perazzi started with the side position for the trip, it was the best move they made, which I think they started it during the production of the MX-3.

I did not know that the very first MX series of guns have the same side position trip, but on the opposite side.

With regards to the top lever shaft being too large for a certain receiver, I have set the top levers up in my lathe and recut the diameter.

If you have any pics of the early MX-8 with the original style side trip, and any with the trip in the top lever, and the current one, it would be nice to see them all side by side.

I'm sure sometime in the past I saw a gun with the original side trip, but I just don't remember. I do still see on occassion the trip plunger in the top lever. I had one in a few months ago. The top lever actually has the "cut step" in it, where the top lever spring plunger would go, not the slit that the current ones have.

Like I said earlier (or maybe in an email) that the new style plunger and spring WILL work with the old style of cut top lever. The old style plungers will not work in the new guns though.

On the MX-8 that have had the trip pin holes washed out, I've gone in and machined the counter-bored hole larger and then pressed in a pre-turned hardened bushing. I have never given much thought to actually remachine the receiver to accept the side positioned trip assy. I'm sure a little time investing in the correct fixtures for the accurate placement of the hole, counterbore,and spring pocket, it could be done. As for the locking bolt, taking a measurement from an existing newer bolt, the cut can be made with a dovetail cutter.

I have no idea what this updating procedure would cost, or if it would be even feasible, cost whys.

Doug Braker

8. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

Mike: Why not just call Lucio at Perrazi USA and maybe he can help you cut to the chase???

9. Guy

Guy Member

Giacomo has told me that the old style lever can be upgraded.....that's why you see some guys holding the lever when closing.....that was the prescribed action to reduce breakage on the old style guns. New style guns can just be closed without holding the lever.

10. Baber

Baber TS Member

To help all out here there is a sub variant of the Perazzi's There is a type 3/4 or as I call it a TOP release Type 4 gun. They are mainly the Winchester imports. They have the beefier type 4 top lever but lock open at the top of the receiver like a type 3. They also have type 4 barrels but thats another story. I have had 2 type 3's converted in this manner. No new holes in the receiver etc. Just replace the Top Lever with a new type 4. Giacomo can do it as well as Lucio at Perazzzi USA. Its an expensive repair thought. The last one from Perazzi USA was $750.00

Tom

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have an engraved P gun top lever somewhere-

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.