1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who to use for choke work?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JLSO5, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

Who would you use for choke work ?

2. don q

don q TS Member

On a road trip stopped in at Carlson's Choke Tubes in Atwood KS. They did a super job and the price was right. Contact them at choketube.com or 785-626-3700. don q

3. below 0

below 0 TS Member

Briley

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

all of the above are good. My preference is Stu Wright

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

What sort of choke work do you need? And why?

Neil

6. cls

cls Member

Kerry Allor

cls

7. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

I bought a fixed choke barrel for SC and it is imp.mod/full which is too tight for my ability. Briley does not shoot the gun to check their chokes, Ken Eyster has retired, and I don't know Wilkinson. I have heard good things about his work does anyone have his number?

8. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Tom Wilkinson's number is 919-603-0167. He has done work for me in the past. He does a good job.

Matt

9. atashooter

atashooter Member

Wright's...

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

JLSO5, tell us about your barrels. Are you happy with them, except for choke restriction? Do they shoot to the same POI? If you could wave a magic wand and have perfect interchangeable choke tubes would you be happy?

Our advice will vary depending on what you say. Basically, if you have bad barrels, you need a barrel smith such as Wilkinson, Allor or Eyster (his son and son-in-law have been doing the work for years). If you want fixed chokes, tell them what you want and they will give it to you. All can have choke tubes installed and them tweak each tube as required.

If you are happy with your barrels, all you need are choke tubes. Briley does a good job and you can depend on their tubes. I have no personnel experience with Stu Wright, but several shooters I know say their work and chokes are top notch.

11. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Steve Baldwin at Mechanical Accuracy in Jones OK -

12. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

I have had bad experience with Briley tubes. But, I love my COMP-N-CHOKE tubes. I find them to be of top quality.

13. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

There is nothing wrong with the barrels exceopt the chokes are too tight. I want a fixed choke barrel which has a better balance than the factory ti choke barrels.
    I want someone who can open them up to .018 or .020 and get the best pattern out of it with the type shells I shoot.
    I have 2 guns now with Brileys ti chokes and one with seminoles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.