1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who to restore a Colt Python

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tab, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tab

tab Member

I picked up a Python that needs a new hammer and a blue job possibley. Who can I get some prices from, thanks Ted

2. musky

musky TS Member

phyl at glen rock blue. 307-436-2330.Incredible work.

3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Send it to Colt the absolute best option.

4. tab

tab Member

Thanks

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Fords is the best if you really want it to be the most beautiful...it just takes time because they are well known,..they redid my nickel finish Python a few years ago and it was gorgeous

6. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

If you want more than good looks, I would send it only to Colt. Pythons are the most difficult gun to take apart and get back together IN TIME that there is. I learned the hard way in gunsmith school.

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

If you are going to have it reblued, I would only send it to Colt. Unless times have changed, only Colt can duplicate the original blue. Don't devalue the gun, they are too expensive.

8. quartering

quartering Active Member

absolutely check with colt first. i'd be surprised if anyone could do it better, cheaper, quicker and assure the same peace of mind. i sent them a 2" nickel python slightly out of time. they sent it back; new parts, fitted, shipped: no charge. its perfect. like new. i'd take a chance on getting some of that! good luck with it

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

As an old Colt's Registered Gunsmith, I will also say "SEND IT BACK TO COLT'S".

10. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

I totally agree with everyone above. A nice Python is worth nearly $2K now, and not having it done right would be a shame. The only other place I would even consider is Turnbull Restorations, but I would bet they would be double what Colt would charge you.

This is too nice a gun to fool around with, have it done right the first time by them that knows.

Randy

11. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Send it to Colt. I came across a 1924 Army Special 38 a couple years ago that was in VG shape, but I wanted it perfect. For $200, Colt made it like new. Even the action is hand tuned, just the same as they did on those pistols when they were new. It shoots like a dream. Not a Python, but almost.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

12. Slugo

Slugo Member

I would go directly to Colt. Any others would only mean a decrease in the value of the gun. You will also have official papers from Colt that become part of its history...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

restore a colt python

turnbull restorations colt python