1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

who to replace rem 870 mag tube?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

bought a used LH 870 receiver for a project, but the end of the mag tube where the threads are is partially busted off (looks like someone overtightened the mag cap @ some point and the threads pulled right off). I bought the receiver for a good price, so the new mag tube doesn't really bother me. Any suggestions as to who can replace the tube for me & do a good job? I won't need to have it reblued as it will be reblued when I finish the rest of the project anyways (have to do some other mods to the receiver that'll expose bare metal).

2. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

Reminton will charge almost 200 bucks and will blue the receiver. I have an 1100 that needs a tube installed. Ham

3. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

I was charged $240 to have the mag tube on my 11-87 fixed in July. The people at remington had it for 12 weeks...don't send it to them their return time is inconsistant and pathetic.

4. skeet_man

Just emailed pat, any other thoughts? CNY Gun Works (aka White Dog) wanted I think 180 plus the cost of the tube WITHOUT a reblue, if I can't get this done for around $100 (considering I don't want it reblued), i think i'll just look for another receiver.

5. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Simmoms. I contacted them about doing a old Rem. Sportsman that had the same problem. Because the tube is silver soldered the receiver must be reblued. I can't remember the quoted price, $300 range.

Scott

6. skeet_man

Mike- Good idea. Theres one local gunsmith that does some tig work, i'll have to get ahold of him and see if its something he'd want to tackle.

7. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Pat Laib can help you out. 320-796-2686

8. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

PerazziBigBore.....that is exactly what I was going to suggest.

Actually, if you cut off about 2 inches and make a tube about 4" long and turn 2" of it so that it just nicely slips into the tube, I think you could soft solder it in and have no problems. All that nut on the end has to do is hold the barrel from falling off anyway, there is no real stress on it.

I would cut the thread on the replacement piece before soldering it in, of course.

You might reduce the magazine capacity by one shell, but what the Hell?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

overtightened mag tube