1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who to refinish forend in oil finish?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Got a couple decent dings in my kolar forend this year due to clumsiness, so I would like to have it refinished, and I would like to get an oil finish (i like the matte look, and think the finish would be less "fragile" and easier to repair). Any suggestions who can do a good job for a reasonable price (a whole new forend from kolar would be 400 bucks, so the cost to refinish has to be WAY less than that).

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

very easy job, do it yourself

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Ian, you're from New York, if I remember correctly. There is a stockmaker in southcentral Pennsylvania who redid my new Beretta 687's stock and forend, which were already an oil finish but not a good one, and added a pistol grip extension fashioned from Buffalo horn for $150. His work is beautiful. I'd think he might charge a little more to strip off a urethane finish first, but you could call him to find out.

If you want his contact info, let me know.

Ed

4. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Hey Ed, please email the stockmaker's contact info.

Thanks

5. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

"like to have it refinished, and I would like to get an oil finish (i like the matte look, and think the finish would be less "fragile" and easier to repair)."

Ian - be careful. Oil finishes are lovely....but in my view, and my view only, they are not generally suitable for competition guns. Yes, you can learn to repair them yourself....but they sure as hell aren't less fragile in general. Depending on what's used, your wood may not take it well, oil may come up in very hot weather (this ain't driven bird hunting in England), some products will water spot, some will let water into the wood in a really good couple of days out in a downpour (and we have both shot registered in those conditions, no?).

If you want oil, I personally think Permalyn finish is grand...its a polymerized oil and holds up to water pretty good. See web site link above.

Have you considered just getting a flat matte poly finish. All poly finishes don't have to be the high gloss extra thick finish put on as factory standard by Kolar.

I would think hard about this...nothing looks or feels nicer than a good oil finish...but I would save that for a custom show piece gun or a restoral of a SxS...something that will get occasional use and which you don't mind maintaining.

Stephen

6. AveragEd

Email & PM sent.

Ed

7. claybuster38

claybuster38 Member

Skeet Man-- Do it yourself I have finished many stocks and I prefer oil myself. It does not hold up well to weekly use. The good thing is that you can go back and touch up very easy later. Just sand with 400 and lay on some more-- It blends well and protects well. You really need to do it yourself. I'll coach you if you decide to. Marv 530-520-2612.

8. skeet_man

Maybe the oil finish isn't the best way to go...

9. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

I use a product called Velvit Oil for all of my custom stockwork as well as refinishes. It is the best I've found in over 50 years as a gunsmith/gunmaker. It was recommended by Jerry Fisher the master stockmaker.
    Dick C.

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

For the guys who say an oil finish doesn't hold up, what kind of oil are you talking about? Linseed oil, for example, is worthless. An "in the wood" oil finish is not going to be durable. Tung oil is supposed to be good but it would take years of rubbing it on. I finished my gun with Permalyn. Extremely tough and durable. I rubbed on 70 coats then sprayed on 10 more before I was happy with it. It's glass smooth. That is the fun you get with an oil type finish. I won't be doing that again. I think most of the finishes being used now are an exoxy type and the oils are modified. Epoxy is not easy to repair like oil but quick to apply thick.

11. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

What was it the old-time gunsmiths used to say about hand-rubbing linseed oil: 2 drops a day for a week, 3 drops a week for a month, 6 drops a month for a year, and 12 drops a year for the rest of your life!

12. AveragEd

I don't know what kind of oil the gentleman who refinished mine used. I sweat like the proverbial prostitute in church and was shooting yesterday in hellish (for me) heat and humidity - I had that stock soaked with sweat and there isn't a spot on it. I'd think that salty perspiration would etch the finish faster than rain.

Ed

13. Baron23

+1 for Permalyn....if interested in this product, I included the link to their site in my last post on this thread.

Ian...no matter what you do, please do it to both the fore end and the butt stock. Doing one in oil and the other left in Kolar's heavy poly is going to look like a gal with a cheap red head dye job with big black roots showing LOL

14. skeet_man

thanks for all the suggestions guys, this may be a decent winter project for me to try (if I feel brave LOL).

Baron- The only bit of wood on the gun is the forend, I have a precision fit stock on the back end

15. Baron23

ahhhh....now I understand LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.