1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who to open fixed choke?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BAD 303, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Who have you guys used or who would you reccomend for opening up a fixed full choke barrel? I would like to get it to around 22-23 thousands. It is close to .40 now. It is a 303 barrel if anyone wonders. My concern is the point of impact.

2. TipTop

TipTop Member

WILKINSON! He can set bore and POI to your specs.

There is no one better!

3. sport303

sport303 Member

hey bad i have been rechoking shotgun bbls. for 40yrs. with great sucess. call me jack concannon

4. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

If you're going to open it up, you might as well send it to briley and have them put in a set of thinwall chokes!

5. porky

porky TS Member

How long will Wilkerson take after he recieves in his shop.

6. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

How about Potter's close to you? He did one for me years ago. Otherwise Jim Eyster in Ohio.

7. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Tom Wilkinson and Kerry Allor are, in all probability, the best two choke gurus in the country and they charge accordingly. That being said, if you just want the choke opened up and POI to remain the same, Stu Wright at Wrights Gunshop in Pinkneyville Il. does some really nice work and will get it back to you in pretty quick time. Briley will also do a nice job maybe a bit slower.

Bob Schultz

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Bob made a valid comment. Those two best barrel smith's work will cost more than the subject barrel's worth. However, if you did, you'll have the best 303 barrel in America.

9. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Go to any auto parts store and buy a brake cylinder hone, fire up the old craftsman drill, do it for yourself. No magic involved, just take your time.

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

That Kirby guy who posts on here showing how bad everyone elses choke work is ought to be the very best, he dang sure takes good pictures.

11. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

Jack don't you shoot 303s --I to have a 303 special trap barrel that I was thinking about having it open to light mod. -- what do you charge -- and do you have to remove all the crome in the barrel or just on the end.

12. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

Hello there, Bbbad-303. I spoke to you a while back about spare parts for the 301- remember?

------------------------------------------------

Concerning comments in this thread:

I have made some postings that show errors in workmanship and accuracy and use pictures to allow all to see that there is no question of factual presentation. It should become apparent that I am not just showing problems with no solution- the solution is to have somebody do the work that is able to make their work of such grade that I can't find any significant error level- such as is my goal in my work.

The choke information that I posted is likely to be something that almost no one has thought of, expected, or seen. It is a sure bet that those responsible for such errors would rather that I had not exposed the details to shooters since they depend on uninformed or misled buyers. Once the reader has a chance to be informed about the limitations inherent, such as the basic defects built into the prevailing aftermarket choke tooling, then their continued desire to have anything to do with a mass-market aftermarket choke installation is up to them.

I have had to fix problems caused by amateur gun tinkerers and take on jobs that some big-name shops have refused to consider or admitted that the work was beyond their scope of talent. I have been the gunsmith's gunsmith for some situations, and have been the admitted last resort for some shooters and their peculiar problem that was unsolved by sometimes even a handful of shops.

I just finished a job where a semi-auto Browning patent design would fire when closing on a shell- even after 4 other shops had sworn it was fixed. I couldn't get a decent replacement part set for this obsolete mechanism, so it was time to build up the original part and cut away everything the way J. Browning did when testing his design. I fit the part so closely that the clearance of the hammer could be eliminated with the introduction of a .005" feeler.

I don't say that I am the best at everything, or the fastest, or make out that I am perfect. I do say that plenty of work that I do is well beyond the average result, but I believe that is because my intention is to do a good and decent job that would not embarrass me to have critiqued by anybody as experienced as me, since I'm not above critical examination of the work of another gunsmith.

I will spend more time to ensure that the job is right and always say it is better to do the work right rather than rushed. Too much sloppy work is done by someone in a hurry to make a buck or get to something else.

Plenty of relevant information is written in articles at my website posted.

Let me know if you want to see more information, and consider looking at my previous postings for more insight from the perspective of a trained and experienced gunsmith.

Kirby

13. esetter

esetter Active Member

Eyster at Heritage Gun Shop in Ohio. He learned from his father who was the best and they are super nice people to deal with. Make an appointment, go there and spend the day and he will adjust POI and pattern to your specs.

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Now I have to ask, why? Why do you want to open a barrel thats at .040? Is POI off? Does it throw horrible patterns? If so, why ream it out so much?

15. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

This barrel will be used for sporting not trap. Thus the reason for opening to about .23. I know there is more to regulating a pattern than just saying open it up to .23. And i spent an entire day with Ken Eyster on a 30" 303 barrel 7-8 years ago. He was as nice a guy and as knowledgeable a guy as anyone would want to be around. Thanks for all the comments and feedback guys.

16. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Allor, he has two of my barrels now or buy another barrel with chokes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
open fix choke barrel cost

open fixed chokes texas

open shotgun fixed choke
open up full choke barrels

opening fixed choke barrels

opening fixed chokes