1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who to contribute to?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 635 G, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

My Wife & myself are in the process of making new wills. We have no heirs. We have been looking into leaving a significant amt of money to the PVA, Wounded Warrior Project, Salvation Army,etc.

Looking for any insight by anyone who has benefitted from these and or other organizations.

Appreciate the help

Phil Berkowitz

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Your Local Humane Society. Almost nothing goes to anything but administration when you give to the National Humane Society.

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Thanx to the guys who pm'd me so far the Salvation Army is at the top of my list, foolwed by hospice--still looking for a lot of real suggestions-- we're not talking about chump change. this is why my wife & myself are concerned. we checked out the wounded warrior program--top heavy with saleries & bonuses.

Phil Berkowitz

4. twotimer

twotimer Member

Phil check out your local church. Many use 100% of what they get for charity, no adminstrative expense. Not picking one over another, we go to a methodist church and they have a ministry engaged in helping the poor. Others do also! Good luck, Mike

5. j.davis

j.davis TS Member

try African Americans for Obama.....

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

National Rifle Association.

7. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

Here's a list of the top rated charities and how much actually goes to the charity.

Tim

8. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I support the Wounded Warrior Project! My nephew was badly wounded in Iraq and the WWP really helped him out. I also support Veterans organizations, I belong to the VFW and American Legion and try to go to the local VA to help at least once a month.

Oscar

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

LMAO at Frank. I thought the same thing.

Dad is that you........

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Local dog shelter yes, if they are affiliated with the Humane Society NO.

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Scholarships for needy students in your home town?

12. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Toys for tots, food for the poor, second harvest food bank. Most anything that is Faith Based "SEEMS" to have a higher ratio of $$ going to the right place.

13. mad_dawg

mad_dawg Member

Disabled American Vets...they are superior advocates. They provide mobile NSO's (national service officers), local transportation for medical appointments with a volunteer network. They don't bombard you with mailings and may have a chapter in your area so you get the benefit of helping neighbors that served your country. Regards, Matt.

14. dhip

dhip Active Member

I agree with the local church suggestion.However,be sure to check out how they handle donations.Not all will, but some will allow specific donations to a particuliar venue,I.E.,,building fund,Missionary work,food bank,etc.Usually ,and make sure of this,if it's designated into a specific fund it will not be used anywhere else and can not be transfered to another venue.

Doug H.

15. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

"Dog shelter". Honestly? I feel humble to even post about this, but here goes. Scholarships of your choosing. Food banks. Citizens Commitee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. Alan Gottlieb and his group are very effective and often are ahead of the NRA with issues. They are low budget and hard working. I am a donor and NOT affiliated with the org. Respectfully, The TinMan

PS My Aunt faced a similar dilemma. Gave her house and all wealth to buy two new Ambulances for the district fire/EMS.

16. porky

porky TS Member

Rather than give specified amounts to charities, set up trust fund, from which each year the charities can draw a certain amount of the principal. Also, look for orphanages. They are struggling too. Every month I donate cash to an orphanage in NY State called Freedom Village.

17. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

Here`s another site where you can get info on Charities. Beware Komen.
    Regards, Pete

18. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Wycliffe Bible Translators is a good Non-profit group. There are a lot of small Church camps that can always use help. Most have scholarship programs so the really poor can go to camps.

Absolutely not to any one associated with the HSUS!! Donated monies go to The Brady Campaign, ALF(Animal Liberation Front)and Anti-hunting groups like PETA.

Good Luck and Make it Count whatever you decide to do.

19. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I'm not to old to be adopted. ;-)

Just kidding.

I'm sure you can find someone or some worthwhile cause to leave it to.

Hauxfan!

20. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Could you please PM me with your full name so that I can put it on my birth certificate...... No seriously, a trust fund that paid out over the years sounds to me like the way to go instead of a lump sum. When some organizations get a large amount of money, they tend to spend it all at once.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.