1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who to Backbore my Benelli Sport?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe O, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe O

Joe O Member

I've got a Benelli Sport with a .716 bore I would like to get it backbored and forcingcones to lighten the barrel and improve patterning. Any advice on who would be best for the money. Anyone used Mike Orlen? Angleport? I'm sure there are plenty of others. what do you think?
    Joe O

2. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I just can't imagine wanting a Benelli Sport any lighter! Its like air already and its light weight is one reason no one uses it for Sporting Clays. I'm sure someone will be glad to take your money though. If you think it doesn't pattern well you must not have shot clays with the IC choke that comes with it. I've had both the black version and the wood model and both pattern VERY well. Recoil is noticeably more than the Berettas and would jump up with more weight removed.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

why would it improve the pattern?

Have you patterned it??

The action is a recoil operated action- so I would say you are out as far as recoil also

If you want a light recoiling auto- buy a browning- it already is gas- has overbored barrels and long chokes and forcing cones

If you do modify the gun you have- you probably wont get to where you want and will then not be able to sell it easily- you will surely be out any money you spent and more

just a thought

-- identify a geographic location and I am sure there are people in that area to take your money

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Take the gun and the money you would spend on this endevour and get something else. There are way too many good guns made that should work.

ec90t

5. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

The other posters have given good reasons not to have it backbored. Here is another reason. I'm pretty sure that Benelli barrel is chrome lined. Backboring would remove that chrome lining. While some say that chrome lining is not a big deal (and I agree), still, given a choice, I would rather have chrome lining in a barrel than not have it.

I've got a Beretta with .722" bore and it patterns beautifully. In fact, just from a visual inspection of the pattern paper, it usually throws better looking patterns than my Browning which has a .740 bore.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have to jump in on this. As a student of the gun who understands why some things are done, your Benelli will likely work better in cold weather, especially if you shoot promo factory loads. At my club, in really cold weather you hear more than a few bloopers with promo loads in backbored guns.

A tight bore will often produce superior patterns. Did I mention you will likely have better performance in cold weather? ;^)

The Benelli is already a broomstick before you take any more weight out of the gun.

7. alf174

alf174 Member

Make it lighter? Backboring would not be noticeable in the mass category. Save your money and spend it on something that you'll actually notice.

PS: The Benelli's already light weight is what has scared me off from buying one; I can't imagine it lighter.

8. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

Seminol Gun works,800 980 3344

9. Joe O

Joe O Member

I appreciate all the input on backboring this gun And for the most part I agree with what most of the posters have said. With a little more of an explanation my motives may make more sense and they may make less, it depends on your perspective.
    One of my pleasures with guns is setting up "my" ideal gun for it's intended purpose. This gun is seldom shot at targets it is my Pheasant gun. I have a 391 that get the work for Sporting clays. I'm a bit of a pheasant addict having spent over 40 days chasing ringnecks around the upper midwest. So this gun gets carried alot and needs to shoot lead and nontox shot well. I have done my share of patterning and have found an improvement to patterns with these changes. I think there is enough evidence out there to support that I'm not imagining this. I used to be a 20 ga fan but the requirement to shoot nontox on some land really handicaps them. I'm really just replacing and angle port barrel that was on my existing Sport because the noise of the porting. What I have is a 12 that carries like a 20. The gun has many positves that I don't need to list here. I'm just looking to make a good gun better. I may or may not sell the 2nd Sport just because I like them so much. When I pull that gun from the case I know I can count on it even in the coldest temps(some of our best hunting is around that 0 mark). It fits me perfect throws beautiful patterns and if you clean the cattails out of the action once in a while it will never let you down.
    Thanks for the input guys, Joe O

10. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

so-called barrel-smiths ought to be outlawed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta benelli tight bore for trap