1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHO SHOULD I HAVE MAKE ME A CUSTOM STOCK

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jim creighton, Jul 18, 2013.

1. jim creighton

jim creighton Member

I'am considering having a stock made to fit me-I'am a lefty-have never shot a gun that had a lefty stock .Who do you guy's suggest-also I live in Upper Mi so I need someone fairly close.I shoot an MX8. Thank's Jim C

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Buy a used PFS first about $700-900 with grip). Tune it up yourself. Then decide if a custom stock is for you. Just the fitting from a well know stockmaker cost a friend of my $2500 a few months ago. That did not include the wood for a MX10.

3. plaw

plaw Active Member

What shot410ga. says makes since to me,if you can get a pfs set up to shoot where you are looking then take it to a stock maker and tell him that if the deminsons you want.

4. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Go to DeVault and have it made right from the beginning.
    Pat

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I do this for a living and with your location you are best to go to Dennis Devault. Drive down to Ohio and have him fit you.

Joe Goldberg

If you want to make a trip to Atlantic City I'd be glad to help you but its closer therefor more economical to see Dennis in Ohio.

6. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i agree with the pfs deal. Once you get it set and decide to have a custom stock made you can sell the pfs stock for what you have in it and get your money back.

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Contrary to populsr oppinion you cant use a PFS as a pattern or dimentions on a wood stock. Just does not work that way. If you Don' believe me then try calling Dennis De Vault.

Joe goldberg

8. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

Let me know when ya wanna go to Ohio Jim, I might just want to go with you. Hope to shoot @ Jaquas Labor Day weekend cuz Manistique isn't having a shoot!!!

9. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Precision fit stock would be my choice. Or send a stock to Ken Rucker and have a recoil device, adjustable comb, and adjustable butt pad installed. Either will get you a better solution. The ability to adjust the butt bad, cast and recoil reduction is priceless. I am a lefty as well and went the custom route first but found my shooting style and body characteristics changed over time and the stock no longer fit the way I wanted it to. Also, recoil devices and adustable butt pads are not prevelant on custom stocks. A custom stock is static and we shooters are not.

Regards

W&W

10. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Well-Known Member

Wenig hands down

11. seitz245

seitz245 TS Member

Chris Vendel !!!! Totally awsome job!!!

12. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

DeVault,only DeVault

13. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

You would look great with one of those custom thumbholes by Wenig like in Iron Mountain!!!! Break em all

GS

14. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Dennis DeVault. Ohio.

blade819

15. carpetman

carpetman Member

DeVault The best!!!!!!

16. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

" Contrary to populsr oppinion you cant use a PFS as a pattern or dimentions on a wood stock. Just does not work that way. If you Don' believe me then try calling Dennis De Vault.

Joe goldberg"

Why not? Dimensions are dimensions, regardless of what type of stock they come off of. Granted, the dimensions achievable with a PFS may not be able to be replicated in a wood stock due to the stock bolt such as offset @ the comb and pad (the PFS can be set to much more extreme dimensions than most wood stocks can be built to without getting into the stock bolt hole), but assuming non-extreme measurements, everything else should translate over...

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Jimmy, If your down for the fall team shoot, you're welcome to shoot my MX-15 with the Wenig LH Harlan Campbell style stock.

It might give you an idea of what Wenig, or, DeVault would feel like.

Your shells of course....

Jim Chapman

18. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Wenig is a copy of DeVaults design without custom fitting.

Phil Berkowitz

19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

that's my point Phil....

20. SlowArrow

SlowArrow Member

I'm sitting in the airport on my way back from a fitting for a custom stock with Dennis DeVault, and I can add my recommendation for the services he offers. While you can grab a PFS and adjust it until you think it is right, you can spend a lot of time working out the details and guessing if it is really right. I was aftaid that I'd still be adjusting the stock for years to come, and frankly one thing that connects me to my gun is the fact that I love a beautiful piece of wood as the stock.

If you go to Dennis, he and his team will use their skills and experience to fit a temporary stock to you, and fit you correctly. They shape it to match you and your shooting style perfectly. He takes away the guess work, no trial and error, just a few hours to get a perfectly fitting stock designed just for you. How do you know it's right, because for the rest of day you go out and shoot it. I mean shoot it enough to know it is right......or take it with you and shoot it until you are sure. Then he builds your stock to match the temporary stock he made.

Can't comment on the rest of the process yet, but after meeting the whole team and seeing the results he routinely produces - Im looking forward to that experience. My stock was comfortable, and I felt I adjusted to it within a round or two (okay - I've still got to do my part, but I'm not claiming any magical properties here). It was a great time - exactly the reason he is so highly recommended.

Mike Sandy