1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who should choke my barrel?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by UpNorthMN, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

I have a Remington 1100 Special with an IC choke. I would like a choke system installed. Where should I have this done? Thanks in advance for the advice.

David

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

If it was my barrel, I would keep it as is and use it for Skeet or other games and buy another barrel with or without choke tubes for Trap. I say this because of the costs involved with an 1100.

3. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

I was originally going to find an extra barrel, but they want up to $200 for them. Choke costs seem to range from $100 - $150... I'm still not sure which direction to go.

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Briley web site link above. They show $179 for threading and 3 flush chokes. Everyone else is judged in comparison to Briley. Bill Malcolm

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

A good gunsmith can do it right but a cheap job with poor quality chokes will ruin your otherwise good IC barrel. Check with the Gun Dr. Doug Braker in Backus MN for the best advice.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Wrights is the one i would choose. In my opinion their chokes are second to none and they seem to be very knowledgeable. Stu and his wife are the authority when it comes to shotgun chokes. Don't take my word for it though, call 'em yourself. 1-618-357-8933.

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

There are many used and sound fixed choke barrels out there for $150-175.00. I've bought several for my son's 1100.

Guy Babin

8. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Choking your barrel is a personal thing and should only be done in private. I have to agree miketmx, keep your current barrel as is and buy one that is already factory threaded for chokes. Look at the new barrel as an investment rather than an expense. Bet you can find a reasonably priced barrel right here on T.S.com

Robert

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

It is just an old wifes tale that you'll go blind from it

10. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I believe you might want to check out this web site before send off your bbl.? I've purchase several barrels from them. Mcuh quciker and less $ than the cost of cutting in a new choke tube. Call them, they will be helpful.

Kip

11. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Bite the bullet buy a Remington barrel with choke tubes then you can buy good chokes for it and shoot skeet trap sporting and 5 stand all with one barrel. They are for sale on here often or just post a WTB ad that is why I like this sight so much it is a valuble resorce for equiptment and information.

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would only get someone that does square threads- Briley or Angle Port

but I think you can find a used barrel with chokes if you are patient

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I would save the barrel and look for a good used barrel, preferably with choke tubes. I'm sure you could sell the original barrel for a good part of the cost. Just put up a WTB thread or sift through it and keep your eyes open. There's a few on there from time to time. You could also try for a "Want to Trade" post, but most people on here are looking for the same thing as you are. If you look hard enough, you could find a whole gun for a little more and have plenty of spare parts.

14. 2@8lo

2@8lo TS Member

Don't believe them its not an old wives tale. I'm blind in one eye, I guess I stopped just in time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.