1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who shots without beads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by archangel, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. archangel

archangel Member

I'm thinking about removing my beads from my Beretta. I dont use them: when I'm shooting well I set up by how the comb feels on my cheek and keep looking out into the distance. was going to do it last year but chickened out. When I miss i am usually bead checking, happens more under the lights: so they are in the way so to speak. At the least I will go to a smaller bead. And yes I have tried blacking them out. So who has removed their beads? Mike

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

The center bead fell off my Ljutic about 20 years ago...so I shot it for awhile and liked it....and then I replaced the center bead 'cause I thought I missed it bein' there.. I was mistaken....so I took it back off again. And my front bead is dirty so it almost doesn't count...gun fit is everything...

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've shot without a center bead on my Ljutic for almost 25 years....proper gun fit is the most important thing... not the beads...

4. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

I use a Middle bead on 16's and Handi-caps. I do for some reason shoot doubles better with the front bead. Have no clue as to why but I do.

Jeff

5. Thvin

Thvin TS Member

I found myself looking at the bead once in awhile, and blacked them out with a sharpie. They are still there to line the gun up, but don;t pull my eyes away from the target.

Kiner is the one who turned me on to this and it has worked well.

Good Luck

6. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member

I was shooting the 200 singles at the Dixie (I think-we have a lot of shoots, week after week, at the Dollar this time of year) and as I walked to my post on the first trap of the second hundred, I saw my front bead had fallen off somewhere between the car and the bench.

Oh well, I thought, here goes a bad score. I shot a 98 and the two I missed had nothing to do with missing beads.

I have since blacked out mine with a Sharpie and keep one in the car in case I wipe off some black with the oily rag. I have noticed my handicap scores (mostly) being higher since there is nothing to draw my eye from the target.

I wish someone made black beads.

Bob

7. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I was shooting one time and one of the club members asked me if I was ever going to replace the bead on my gun. I didn't even notice that it was gone. He told me that it had been gone for maybe six weeks or so. I did replace it eventually but it really didn't affect me either way.

If the mount feels right, the gun points where I want. If the mount does not feel right, then it is dismounted and remounted again. I find if I DO look at the bead, I pretty much had better dismount because my concentration is not where it should be.

8. surfcitydude

surfcitydude Member

No beads for me, pooka shells.

9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I just like the hippie beads.

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I make invisible beads as a hobby for shooters who don't like beads. PM me your address and I'll send you a set - no charge. Be sure to specify thread size.

11. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Don't wear beads. LOL Charlie

12. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

I like having the beads, something to add to my pre-shot routine. Get the proper mount, look down the gun line up the beads, just to make sure I have a good mount. After that moment I never notice them again.

13. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

For those of you that talk about having a missing bead and haven't noticed it for several weeks, i call BS. I sorry I just don't believe it. Call me a naysayer guess.

Bryan

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I've shotguns without beads..without ribs or beads..even shot a 200 target event with a new gun that had the recoil pad removed because it was too long and was putting the bare buttstock wood to shoulder wearing only a tee-shirt...it all worked fine ,..for me anyway ,..but like Laura has noted "I'm not right"

15. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I'm a one eyed shooter and line up my spots on the traphouse using the beads to make sure the gun is "square"; but like the others use a sharpie to blacken them. I see the guys with the huge Hi Vis red or green front "beacon" and don't understand how they shoot good scores.

best...mike

16. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

I lost the ball portion of the front bead on my top barrel of my Beretta combo about 2 months ago leaving me with just the post and stem. I shoot the same as I did before, maybe better. I ordered a replacement but I am in no hurry to put it on.

I also have a Y model 12 trap that has a red bead on it and I blacked it out with a sharpe because I found my eyes were drawn to it not the target. It made a difference of 5 birds a round the day I did it.

Dave

17. archangel

archangel Member

Some understand my point: if the sights only purpose is for lining up the gun during set-up not for aiming at the target and I miss targets if I bead check, why such a big sight on my trap guns or why the high vis sights on some guns: the gun is supposed to shoot where you look right? mike

18. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

At one point I had a red Hi VIZ sight on my O/U. With my back to the bright Texas evening sun, the darn front sight was brighter than the target, and I felt it was throwing me off. I unscrewed the sight and put it in my pocket. The next three rounds were good rounds, back to my normal score with no bead at all. I guess I didn't need the front bead. I screwed a simple brass bead into the gun just because one is supposed to be there, but I really don't even notice it is there.

19. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I have experimented shooting without a center and front bead. My barrel appears to shoot higher without the front bead. The gun fits and there is no real need anymore to use the center bead.

After awhile, I seemed to get sloppy when shooting without the front bead. No big deal, I can put them back on the gun at anytime. Try it.
    Steve Balistreri

20. ark1stclass

ark1stclass TS Member

I have not shot much but just bought a 302 Berretta a few weeks ago without a bead. I shot it better then any other shotgun I have had. The high $$$ "trap" guns shoot high for rising targets. Without the bead it is raising the POI to make the gun shoot higher. Yesterday I was shooting wobble bird on a low gun position and was hitting better then ever 18/20. I only had time for a couple quick rounds as my main reason for going was taking a squad for a 100 bird tourniment. I just wanted to get a round in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.