1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who shoots sub 3lb pull triggers for Trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by clayscoach, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clayscoach

clayscoach Member

I am interested in information from shooters that shoot sub 3lb. triggers for Trap!
    1. What Brand and type of Gun?
    2. What poundage?
    3. Any problems?
    4. How long have you been shooting the trigger under 3lbs?

Thanks,Jon

2. Capt_ed

Capt_ed Member

my Ljutic mono trigger is 20 oz , 1 1/4 pounds been that way since I got it. Couldn't imagine it any other way. My O/U ljutic is 2 and then 2 3/4.

3. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

My Perazzi breaks at 3-1/2 pounds. A light trigger is fine for a benchrest rifle, but a benchrest rifle is just sitting on sandbags. I'm not sure I'd want a really light a trigger on an actively moving trap gun.

For what it's worth, I think that Phil Kiner believes that light triggers lead to flinching and even recommends a 5 lb. trigger as a possible cure for it. I do think that trigger squeeze is an important part of shooting well, and that means you have to be able to clearly feel the trigger break. That means different things to different people. You may be able to shoot a lighter trigger, but Kiner usually knows what he's talking about.

4. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

30 years ago I got good advice: "Heavy triggers, light loads". I am still pulling, no release, no flinching.

5. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

we have our 303 triggers set at a lil under 3 1/2 and after some wear they will be at 3 to 3 1/4---we also change the spring to a stiffer type, which really speeds up the lock time!! we tend to dwell on lockup over lighteness of the pull--wally riebesell

6. whopper1

whopper1 Member

My Mx2000 is set for 1.25 pounds. When I bought my first Perazzi, the triger was about 1 pound. Worst mistake I ever made was keeping it that way. At this stage, I can not pull a triger any heaver than about 1.25 pounds. It is amazing the memory your muscles develop. My advice-stick with at least 3 pounds.

Dave

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is important to have a consistant trigger pull with no creep. When shooting a moving target it is important that the gun fire when you want it to fire. HMB

8. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Would rather have a glass rod 5 lb. trigger than a creepy 3lb'er w/ over-travel.

That said,t he triggers on my new CG and the Blasers I've handled have all been about 3 1/2 lbs w/ no creep and very little travel.

9. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

IMHO no one should shoot less than 3.5 and preferably 4.0

If this was the case there would be a lot less shooters that need to go to release

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've pretty much settled in on 3 1/2lb triggers for all my shotguns. The only exception is a B. Rizzini that I own that has a very good sub 3# trigger. I've been afraid to have it made a little heavier as it is the best trigger I have ever sampled in a shotgun.

ss

11. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Customer's guns = 3.5 to 4lbs...

My guns = 4 to 5lbs...

I go much lighter for bench rifles, but hunting rifles remain in the 3 - 4 lb range....Cya

12. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I bought a used Citori Plus that had 2# triggers. I didn't notice it at the time and had just checked that both triggers worked when I tried it with snap caps. I replaced the hammer springs and got them up to closer to 3#. It still has the lightest triggers of any of my guns. I am guessing that a previous owned had some trigger work done. I like a trigger that is a bit light rather than one that is too heavy. I tried shooting a friend's new Versa Max and couldn't get it to shoot the first time, as the trigger must have been around 10#, and I couldn't convince myself that I needed to pull it that hard. I have found that the main difference in guns as they get more expensive is the quality of the trigger. Mark

PS I pull the trigger, not slap it. I also tend to take up any creep in the trigger before I call for the bird. This did leave a mark on the back of the trap house once, and people still seem to bring that up.

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

My shotgun triggers are better then most peoples rifle triggers. That said... I slap them. I do not pull them and I sure as hell do not squeeze them. If you squeeze A shotgun trigger you are a far more deliberate shooter then I.

I believe in the notion that our mental computer computer is a result of shots we fire and correct sight pictures ( maybe incorrect as well?). I am a come from just behind, move very quickly and pull through and away and fire type of shooter.

The gun must go bang at the correct time. I think heavy is ok if you are good at staying in the gun and have excellent follow through. I prefer a lighter pull but not super light. It needs to be light enough that when my computer says "BANG" I hear bang.

all that said, I suspect my triggers are no more then 3 1/2 pounds or so but they will have as close to zero creep as is possible and zero overtravel.Jeff

14. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

This is kinda off topic, since the subject is about pull weight, but I'll comment anyway, Jeff, since you seem to be suggesting that squeezing a trigger is wrong. I disagree.

We may be just talking about semantics. I probably shoot the same way you do, and we're just calling it something different. I swing through the bird and the gun goes off when it's supposed to. The only difference is that I'm trying to stop overpowering the gun.

In my case, I tend to milk the grip if I'm not careful, squeezing all the fingers in my trigger hand at the same time, or to jerk the trigger hard. I got away with this for a long time shooting singles, but it killed me in caps. This season I've been focusing on relaxing my shot, with a loose support hand, waiting for the bird above my rib, and making as smooth a stroke as I can to the bird. My trigger "squeeze" is simply a smooth relaxed pull with just my trigger finger. The idea is to avoid jerking the gun all over the place. And since I started doing this, my occasional flinch has all but disappeared.

It makes a difference for me. I've done well this year in singles and have moved back three yards in caps since June when I started doing this, including a yard at the Grand last week. That speaks for itself.

15. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

My TM1 leaf spring is set at 1 1/2#. As are all my open & limited race guns. So running many 1000's of rounds thru a race gun I am used to the lite triggers. I can easily shoot a 3# trigger but when they get past that,no way. No way with a release,I really flinch bad. Any flinching with me is NOT,NOT,NOT due to the trigger. Is is due to the fact that I am unsure of the correct relationship of the barrel to the bird. Thus I hesitate in my pull,hence a flinch. My finger is on the trigger when I call for the bird. Whether I subconciously move my finger away after calling,then slap,I don't know.

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I went back to the Browning was to get away from a too light trigger. Another is that they fit me better than any other brand out there. Custom stocks included.

When I finally got a Krieghoff to fit, it still did not feel right. The first time I shot my 100% stock Browning Special Sporting Clays Edition with 30" barrel and High Post Rib, I knew the P and K guns in my safe were on the way out.

I am also of the opinion that a light shotgun trigger has caused a lot of folks to go to the release.

When my (limited) mental faculties are in the right place, I do not have a recollection of pulling the trigger on a clay target.

17. clayscoach

clayscoach Member

OK, Here we go! I ask for information on shooters that shoot 3lbs. triggers or less. What brand and type of gun, what poundage, any problems and how long! As usual on this site you get information beyound what is ask for! It seems that about half shooters that responded shoot below the 3lb. set and the rest want more. I for one have to ask are you a slapper or a puller?? Some of the shooters that I work with are pullers and others are slappers. Is it the same with everyone, NOT a chance.

In a recent test, we had a shooter that flinched at 3 1/2 to 4lbs. Per Phil Kiner, We increased the poundage to 5lbs. It didn't work, so we went to 6lbs. It still did't work, so we went lower to 2 3/4lbs. Less flinches??? No failures to fire??? Went to 2 1/4lbs. NO flinches and NO failures to fire??? This shooter just shot their best event ever. I for one DO NOT think that what works for one will always work for another. Again I ask for information for those that shoot 3lbs and below. Those that are happy with above 3lbs and it works for you GREAT, and I am happy for you. But unless you are a shooter that shoots 3lbs or below.............I am looking for information from these shooters. Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.