1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Who shoots Rex powder?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ultramag338, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ultramag338

ultramag338 Member

How do you like it. I think I want a 25lb. box. Any imput please. Corey

2. lance howard

lance howard Member

I reload some Rex 2 in place of green dot. I like it but it is not as clean burning as green dot in my loads. According to my chronograph it takes 22.1 grains to get the velocity up to 1225-1235 with 1-1/8 loads in Gold medal cases. I use 20.5 green dot to get that speed. likes hotter primer. I use Fed 209A in winter and Cheddite in summer to save a little money. Good price on that powder but I will stay with green dot when I run out of Rex. I do not get to shoot more that 7000-8000 rounds a year so the green dot is only $57 more for all I use in a years shooting. I have loaded Rex in 1 0z loads with Rex2 in Estate cases. 19.5 grains, win primer, Down Range 12so clone wad . Soft shooting load. Fast enough but some powder residue is evident. Maybe not enough pressure to get it to burn clean. Lance Howard

3. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The factory that made Rex has shut down. I believe if you find any it will be some older stuff still on the shelf. This may affect your decision.

Ajax

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I shoot REX II for my handicap loads and like it very much. Like Jack said, it's not available any longer, so, when I run out of the 50lbs. I currently have, it's back to Green Dot.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

It's a shame it's not going to be available any longer. It was good powder and I believe it was good for competition on some of the others powders.

Ajax

6. missemucho

missemucho Member

According to Graf they still sell Rex 1 but not Rex 2.
    John

7. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I do for about the past 8 or 9 years. Both 1 and 2. If you can find some, jumponm it and enjoy it while it lasts. It was a good economical powder that was very consistent in my loads. I used it for a lot of handgun reloading as well. Hopefully something else will fill in the gap soon. Considering about half of the powders sold in the US by supposed US manufacturers are made by foreign companies and imported, there is no reason something else out there could not be brought in at the same price point.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

burning speed of rex powder